BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

Service Due when I pick up my new E90 DCT

I picked up my E90 DCT on Thursday with 8km on it, and the first time it was turned on by me it said service due. Of cause I complained about this but the sales guy and a mechanic told me because this is a M3 with DCT it has a service at 2000km and it will write this until the car on the lift turns red at which time I have to bring it in.

Of cause I do not really believe this, but decided that if I complained more I would have to leave car that I have been waiting 6 months to drive. I have looked into this and found that on the board computer there is a date that says 07.2008 no km and I believe this must be the service that is triggering the service due in the I-Drive monitor. The service check in the I-Drive is all green.

Can someone confirm to me if their DCT car is displaying service due from day one?
Could someone with DCT check if there is a service entry on the board computer (Not the Idrive) with car on a lift with no Km and a date 1 month in the future?
Attached Images

06-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
This is maybe your DCT fluid chnge due since I recalled they needed to be change for the issues earlier folks had reported. There is a shortage of the fluid, but not sure if thats still the case.

If you have Premium Package, I can only guess that message was sent by Assist. Go to the BMWUSA to get a video familiarization of how it works. Pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Sounds like your service alert was not set/reset correctly, but I don't have DCT. DCT transmission fluid is supposed to be good for life based on what people reported here, and should not need servicing...
      06-22-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you have Premium Package, I can only guess that message was sent by Assist. Go to the BMWUSA to get a video familiarization of how it works. Pretty cool.

I live in switzerland and we do not have BMW assist here, but it sounds pretty cool.
      06-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
I picked up my E90 DCT on Thursday with 8km on it, and the first time it was turned on by me it said service due. Of cause I complained about this but the sales guy and a mechanic told me because this is a M3 with DCT it has a service at 2000km and it will write this until the car on the lift turns red at which time I have to bring it in.

Of cause I do not really believe this, but decided that if I complained more I would have to leave car that I have been waiting 6 months to drive. I have looked into this and found that on the board computer there is a date that says 07.2008 no km and I believe this must be the service that is triggering the service due in the I-Drive monitor. The service check in the I-Drive is all green.

Can someone confirm to me if their DCT car is displaying service due from day one?
Could someone with DCT check if there is a service entry on the board computer (Not the Idrive) with car on a lift with no Km and a date 1 month in the future?
Like Lucid I suppose your service alert is set wrong. Specifically your service date is wrong. Check on iDrive which service is shown to be done 07/2008. That's the wrong one. The 1800km are right and the service due message should come up several hundred kilometers before 2000, but not yet for sure.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Like Lucid I suppose your service alert is set wrong. Specifically your service date is wrong. Check on iDrive which service is shown to be done 07/2008. That's the wrong one. The 1800km are right and the service due message should come up several hundred kilometers before 2000, but not yet for sure.
I can only see the 07/2008 service on the board computer it does not exists in the IDrive Service menu.

And the 1800km is what if left of the 2000km (I only had 200 km on it when the picture was taken). ON the IDrive the and in the board computer the 2000km is dated 06/2010.

Thanks
      06-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

I īd suggest to go the easy way. Dont mind it and do the breakin. I think this will be fixed at the 2000km-service.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I can only see the 07/2008 service on the board computer it does not exists in the IDrive Service menu.

And the 1800km is what if left of the 2000km (I only had 200 km on it when the picture was taken). ON the IDrive the and in the board computer the 2000km is dated 06/2010.

Thanks
Weird, since your car shows a message in the bottom line of the iDrive screen, there should also be an Check Control message on the iDrive. Did you look in the Check Control messages menu?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Weird, since your car shows a message in the bottom line of the iDrive screen, there should also be an Check Control message on the iDrive. Did you look in the Check Control messages menu?

Best regards, south
Yes and it says no fault, I think that somehow they added a weird Legal service as there is no Km on that service and I think this Car on the lift means legal check more than service. But I am a little afraid that the dealer wants to change the oil when it writes Service Now(Or whatever comes after Service Due).....

I contacted BMW International and I hope I will get a reply from BMW as my dealer does not seems to know or care about this issue.

THANKS
      06-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Yes and it says no fault, I think that somehow they added a weird Legal service as there is no Km on that service and I think this Car on the lift means legal check more than service. But I am a little afraid that the dealer wants to change the oil when it writes Service Now(Or whatever comes after Service Due).....

I contacted BMW International and I hope I will get a reply from BMW as my dealer does not seems to know or care about this issue.

THANKS
Don't let him change anything before the 2000km service is prompted with (almost) zero km left. Even more, don't let him change the DCT fluid at all (lifetime oil).

Seems like you've got an discrepancy between the iDrive service menu and the BC service menu then. Your dealer should check that via OBD since both of these menus should prompt exactly the same (edit: including legal check).

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Don't let him change anything before the 2000km service is prompted with (almost) zero km left. Even more, don't let him change the DCT fluid at all (lifetime oil).

Seems like you've got an discrepancy between the iDrive service menu and the BC service menu then. Your dealer should check that via OBD since both of these menus should prompt exactly the same.

Best regards, south
Thanks, this is more or less what I think too but do they really pull the service data from two different systems. Maybe it is more of a Dashboard/board computer issue.

And thanks for the advice on the oil and this is what I intend to do but I am sure they will tell me that this voids the warranty.

Anyways I now know for sure that this is not intended as the dealer claimed and I will see what they say to that.

Thanks.
      06-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, this is more or less what I think too but do they really pull the service data from two different systems. Maybe it is more of a Dashboard/board computer issue.

And thanks for the advice on the oil and this is what I intend to do but I am sure they will tell me that this voids the warranty.

Anyways I now know for sure that this is not intended as the dealer claimed and I will see what they say to that.

Thanks.
Yes, I think it's a bc issue either. The OBD should contain the most accurate information, sometimes the shown/prompted messages differ from that data.

In case your dealer insists on changing the DCT oil (and you can't avoid that via asking BMW Switzerland or Germany themselves) at least make your dealer understand that there's a special fluid needed for DCT.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

The story continues.

After sending 4 emails back and forth with BMW SA (Bmw switzerland) they finally agreed that there was something wrong.

They asked me to go to the shop (This is the shop that refused to admit that there was an issue to begin with) which I did. First their GT1 did not even know the model (Maybe they should update to a new version) so they punched it in manually as a E92 M3 (Maybe this is where the issue comes from!!!!!) after this the check of all the systems ran.

The technician decided to do a reset of the service interval which resulted in a new Service at 24000km. He now proclaimed that the issue was fixed and that I should return in about 1200km for the service.
I of cause complained and refused to accept this and even after this the car still writes Service Due. After 2 tries they were unable to reset it back to 1100km (My car has 788Km on it) so I now have a car that missed the first service in the DME and a new time on Thursday where they hope they will be able to fix it.

What is your experience with BMW service guys?