BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
atcga
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Selling My DCT coupe...

Well guys, if you've followed my post about bad dealer service, you'll probably understand why I'm doing this. Dealer porked the tranny and it's being replaced as we speak. Their bad attitudes have ruined the entire experience for my wife and I so we're gonna sell and find something else. If there was a decent dealership within a reasonable distance I would probably keep this car, but there isn't.
My wife's car is an 08 red coupe, dct, carbon fiber roof, extended carbon leather, premium pkg, comp gray wheels, and I can't remember the rest. Stickered for $68,000. I haven't even titled the car yet! Would you guys be kind enough to give me an idea of what I can sell this car for? My wife is just sick about this entire experience and this is what I need to do.
Thanks
      06-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

Call BMW NA - Read them the riot act.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Do you know of kbb.com?

edit: Wow, kbb doesn't have values for all 2008 manufactures yet.
      06-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcga View Post
Well guys, if you've followed my post about bad dealer service, you'll probably understand why I'm doing this. Dealer porked the tranny and it's being replaced as we speak. Their bad attitudes have ruined the entire experience for my wife and I so we're gonna sell and find something else. If there was a decent dealership within a reasonable distance I would probably keep this car, but there isn't.
My wife's car is an 08 red coupe, dct, carbon fiber roof, extended carbon leather, premium pkg, comp gray wheels, and I can't remember the rest. Stickered for $68,000. I haven't even titled the car yet! Would you guys be kind enough to give me an idea of what I can sell this car for? My wife is just sick about this entire experience and this is what I need to do.
Thanks
That totally sucks but I COMPLETELY understand. You got to trust your dealer and your car, the moment you don't, its time to get out. Here is to you moving one day back close to a good dealer when they go back to inline-6s in lightweight bodies for the //M.......

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
atcga
Private
Rep

Thanks man. This has just been bad all the way around. I've owned many bimmers in the past but this was our first M3. It was my wife's dream car and I really hate it for her. BMWNA hasn't offered to do anything except call the dealer.
      06-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
atcga
Private
Rep

Oh, and for the record, this forum is great. Lots of good info and suggestions and I appreciate them all.
      06-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I can tell you what trade-in usually is... "3 grand back of book" ... since there is no book value yet, you have to go with invoice, so trade-in would be 3 grand under invoice.

However, there are 2 factors that change that scenario: DCT M3's are scarce, so that boosts the value. You could swing a private sale quickly. The other factor is: used car values are $hit right now because of the economy... but I don't think that will matter.... unload it quickly and you should be OK. DCT's are still hard to find...

Sorry to hear about your experience. Dealer service is a huge piece of the pie... good luck either finding a new M3 you can enjoy or something else.
      06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Damn. But I would totally feel the same way you do and I'd want a new car to be perfect. BUT, get the car back first and see if everything is ok. You may be ok with it in the end. To be an honest seller you'd need to disclose everything that has happened, but I bet you'd only lose a few thousand.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
atcga
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Damn. But I would totally feel the same way you do and I'd want a new car to be perfect. BUT, get the car back first and see if everything is ok. You may be ok with it in the end. To be an honest seller you'd need to disclose everything that has happened, but I bet you'd only lose a few thousand.
Funny you should mention that. When talking to the GM at the dealer today he actually suggested I sell the car without saying anything because he says no one will ever know but me. What a friggin moron. He got real quiet when I mentioned "service history". I personally want the whole story out. I have no secrets, and except for this dealer my car would still be in my garage.
      06-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

sell wife?? keep car?????
      06-16-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
atcga
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
sell wife?? keep car?????
Makes you go hmmm...
      06-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

sorry for your experience. Hopefully, when it comes to my time to 1200 mile service, they don't screw up anything because I'm loving the experience so far. Hopefully, you find a better service for the next car.
      06-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Thanks
I hear ya man. When i bought my GT3, I took it into the dealer to establish a relationship with them, etc. Well, it was a terrible experience and I nearly sold the car at that point. Luckily, I decided to keep it (had it for a bit over 3 years) and never had to take it in for any warranty issues. I got it serviced elsewhere. The ass at the dealership cost them quite a bit of money from loosing my business. If I ever buy another Porsche, it will not be from them either. I totally understand how you feel man! Good luck with the sale.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
atcga
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I hear ya man. When i bought my GT3, I took it into the dealer to establish a relationship with them, etc. Well, it was a terrible experience and I nearly sold the car at that point. Luckily, I decided to keep it (had it for a bit over 3 years) and never had to take it in for any warranty issues. I got it serviced elsewhere. The ass at the dealership cost them quite a bit of money from loosing my business. If I ever buy another Porsche, it will not be from them either. I totally understand how you feel man! Good luck with the sale.
Thanks. I love the GT3. That's what I was looking for when my wife found the M3 and reminded her that the next car was supposed to be hers. Oh well. I tried. I may be in a GT3 sooner than expected.
      06-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #15
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Very sorry to hear that Atcga, i hope you find the right car!
      06-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #16
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. When talking to the GM at the dealer today he actually suggested I sell the car without saying anything because he says no one will ever know but me. What a friggin moron. He got real quiet when I mentioned "service history". I personally want the whole story out. I have no secrets, and except for this dealer my car would still be in my garage.
Damn that's shady. Tells you something about him I guess.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Sorry for your bad experience. I might do the same thing in your shoes... however, I am not sure I would be happy with anything else... The C63, RS4, and ISF (sway what you will about there real world performance) are M3 pretenders in the eyes of the automotive world. Not sure I could live with that....

I guess I would swing the Porsche route, for the same money you can get a really nice 996TT or maybe even a GT3.... or you could get a used 997...

Jason
      06-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #18
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
sorry to hear, good luck finding a car to replace the beast.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
If your MSRP is around $68k, I'd imagine the invoice to be around $63k. I'd figure somewhere around $57k to $59k would be a fair deal for you and the prospective buyer for a used M3. I don't know how the dealers are doing in the East Coast, but a lot of West Coast dealers have M3 coupes in their showrooms. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the pre-owned M3 market.

Have you called BMW Customer Relations? Usually in a situation like this where the car is a problem car, they may buy it back. I've seen this happen before.
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #20
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thatīs a realy sad story :-(

Try to be honest when you sell the car. It may save costs and it will keep your conscience well. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Wow. Sorry it has come to this, atcga.

One possible consideration is to private-shop the car for maintenance. Not cheap, but I'll almost guarantee you it will be cheaper than taking the depreciation loss on the car. There are some really great private shops out there who'd love your business I'm sure. Warranty work is another matter, but you probably won't have any warranty concerns (knock on wood), and if you did then you could arrange for a loaner at the next closest dealership. Even if its 100 miles away, it may still be worth it, although it would admittedly be very inconvenient.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #22
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Thanks for posting. This shows how important it is to have a dealership that one trusts and feels good about. Part of the joy I have had with my BMW experience is the relationships I have developed with the enthusiasts at my dealership. If the relationship became adversarial I just think I would go in a different direction.