BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Berk Street Exhaust Axle back

Hey everyone,
I purchased a Berk Axle-Back from a member here a while back and just had it installed two weekends ago. The shop that installed it said there was some sort of back pressure valve at the back of the exhaust system and said he plugged it. I had my 1 year old with me and didn't have time to ask many questions, but it's been in the back of my mind ever since. Is anyone familiar with some type of valve at the back portion of the exhaust, and would you need to plug it when replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket axle-back?

Thanks is advance!
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Juggernaut135i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Stage 2

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Hey everyone,
I purchased a Berk Axle-Back from a member here a while back and just had it installed two weekends ago. The shop that installed it said there was some sort of back pressure valve at the back of the exhaust system and said he plugged it. I had my 1 year old with me and didn't have time to ask many questions, but it's been in the back of my mind ever since. Is anyone familiar with some type of valve at the back portion of the exhaust, and would you need to plug it when replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket axle-back?

Thanks is advance!
Yea. It's the valve that opens and closes one of the outlets on the stock exhaust at low RPMs. He did the golf tee trick so dirt doesn't get inside the tube
BC Racing coilovers
M3 control arms
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut135i View Post
Yea. It's the valve that opens and closes one of the outlets on the stock exhaust at low RPMs. He did the golf tee trick so dirt doesn't get inside the tube
Awesome, ty. I was watching B is for Build and he thought he had one of these but it ended up being an EGR valve or something, Tee'd off would have been bad news, got me paranoid.

Berk street axle back is very mild if anyone stumbles across this btw, sounds great on cold start but then is pretty flat, no extra sound really on the top end, which is all I wanted, and is a bit drone-y.

Thread can be closed.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
N52 Moistenor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Awesome, ty. I was watching B is for Build and he thought he had one of these but it ended up being an EGR valve or something, Tee'd off would have been bad news, got me paranoid.

Berk street axle back is very mild if anyone stumbles across this btw, sounds great on cold start but then is pretty flat, no extra sound really on the top end, which is all I wanted, and is a bit drone-y.

Thread can be closed.
next up, a catted downpipe. then you will be happy with the sound!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52 Moistenor View Post
next up, a catted downpipe. then you will be happy with the sound!
I went stage 1 MHD and the sound is ubelievable. Sounds like a legit performance car, very racy.

I will definitely be doing RSRR's, downpipes (catted), a 5" FMIC (not cool with cutting) and MHD stage 2 this summer.
Appreciate 0