Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Question Driving (or dying?) from NY to FL on PS4s next week

I'm driving from NYC to South Florida next week on my relatively brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (~ 400 miles on them). Long story on why I didn't replace the tires in FL instead of in NY.

Anyways, the morning I'm leaving apparently it's going to be 23*. The car is stored indoors at around 60* so starting off won't be a problem.

My questions/ concerns are:
1. When I stop for gas or food and the tires get close to 20*, are they still safe to drive on without the compound cracking or will they not cool off that quickly? (See Michelin statement) No where I'm going to be is forecast to be less than 20*, but if I have to spend the night somewhere and it's 25* overnight and the tires cool completely am I going to have a problem?

2. Next, should I be worried about driving in these temperatures? It's going to be less than 40* the whole way down to Florida. Does anyone have experience driving these tires at less than 30*? Mk7 Golf R, so I have AWD which will help.

This is what Michelin has to say:
Quote:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
Thanks in advance.
      12-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
I'm driving from NYC to South Florida next week on my relatively brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (~ 400 miles on them). Long story on why I didn't replace the tires in FL instead of in NY.

Anyways, the morning I'm leaving apparently it's going to be 23*. The car is stored indoors at around 60* so starting off won't be a problem.

My questions/ concerns are:
1. When I stop for gas or food and the tires get close to 20*, are they still safe to drive on without the compound cracking or will they not cool off that quickly? (See Michelin statement) No where I'm going to be is forecast to be less than 20*, but if I have to spend the night somewhere and it's 25* overnight and the tires cool completely am I going to have a problem?

2. Next, should I be worried about driving in these temperatures? It's going to be less than 40* the whole way down to Florida. Does anyone have experience driving these tires at less than 30*? Mk7 Golf R, so I have AWD which will help.

This is what Michelin has to say:
Quote:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
Thanks in advance.
You'll be fine. Just take it easy
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Good news is when you're driving, the tires do heat up. You'll be OK as long as there's no snow.
      12-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
You'll be fine. Just take it easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
Good news is when you're driving, the tires do heat up. You'll be OK as long as there's no snow.
Thanks, I know I'll be screwed if it snows but I know it's going to be dry so it's all good.
      12-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Get your self one of those tire plug kits (“the plugger” is decent) and throw that in the trunk. You really have to take it easy in ny and keep your rear fog lights on b/c people still tailgate in bad weather in there tri state. Safe travels. The m3 is a great road car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
e90-4aj
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: E46-M3, F80-M3, 970 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
+1 and drive safe
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Yah you’re fine if you are careful. If you see a hint of snow/sleet etc find a hotel and pack it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I didn't get a chance to throw on my winter set in time when the weather got really cold here (-7 deg celsius) in Ontario Canada few wks back and the PS4S held up amazing.

I was actually shocked since my previous PSS and especially the OEM contis would struggle in freezing temps.

You will be fine as long as you don't encounter snow etc.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

I drove from fl to nyc and back last december on re71's and had no issues at all. The lowest temp I saw was 26 degrees. You'll be fine on the michelins.
      01-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
Sales@wheelsdc.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

As mentioned just take it easy and drive carefully.
Good luck
Appreciate 0