Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

DCT hard launch with no drama on snow tires - normal?

With my break-in recently done, wanted to get a true feel for the car's power in a safe setting.

Sport+ throttle
DSC fully off
S3
Car & tires warmed up, appropriate and equal tire pressures

Now mind you this is with winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4) and on a 45 degree day. Dry conditions.

Basically mashed it from a standstill a couple of times....and was kind of underwhelmed? I could feel the back starting to step out ever so SLIGHTLY...but the car tracked straight with no smokey tires, heck there wasn't even tire squeal. There was basically no drama whatsoever. Are these winter tires just super sticky or is there something wrong with my car LOL
      12-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Olivo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nothing Cool

Winter tires = budget drag radials, confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Get a tune with E30. Problem solved.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

But do you think tires/temp had something to do with it or is my car not putting down as much power as it should?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

I haven't even had the balls to turn DSC off on mine yet and try it out. I've whipped out the back end a little bit just coming out of a turn a few times with all my nannies on and in sport+ and my summer tires, 50 degree dry roads. Try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
With my break-in recently done, wanted to get a true feel for the car's power in a safe setting.

Sport+ throttle
DSC fully off
S3

Now mind you this is with winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4) and on a 45 degree day. Dry conditions.

Basically mashed it from a standstill a couple of times....and was kind of underwhelmed? I could feel the back starting to step out ever so SLIGHTLY...but the car tracked straight with no smokey tires, heck there wasn't even tire squeal. There was basically no drama whatsoever. Are these winter tires just super sticky or is there something wrong with my car LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

If you are concerned, schedule a dyno appointment. Or maybe start by checking acceleration times with a GPS or performance monitoring tool.

My personal opinion is that the results of your experiment do nothing to warrant concern. There are too many variables for a test like yours - a rather unscientific one - to be meaningful. Plus, as one person mentioned above (and you already touched on in your opening post), winter tires will be particularly sticky in non-freezing temperatures. Next time you start the car with cold tires drive to the nearest empty stretch of road and launch it using launch control. Maybe you will get a more thrilling experience. But even if you are still underwhelmed, I would not stress out about it. If you simply must get closure, science it up a bit as I said.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Smashing the throttle from a standstill is effectively dropping the clutch with big revs, it should spin big time...

Your car should rev up to about 4K rpms, and drop the clutch...

Have you had your break in service done?
      12-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
Howard_R
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Sakhir Orange M4

Did the rear tires break free at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post

Yep.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_R View Post
Did the rear tires break free at all?
Some, but wasn't a squeal show like I expected.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Smashing the throttle from a standstill is effectively dropping the clutch with big revs, it should spin big time...

Out of curiosity. Why do you think break in service means anything? It's just an oil change
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:

Out of curiosity. Why do you think break in service means anything? It's just an oil change
Just How they disable LC during break in service, i was wondering if they disabled the wot clutch drop feature aswell
      12-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:

Doesn't sound like launch control. Just mashing the gas pedal. When Motor Trend first tested the F80 during launch they observed that using launch control the car would burn the tires.
But when they just mashed the gas from a stand still they were able to get the power down better and a faster 0-60 time.
So there preferred method was just mashing the throttle from a stand still. Seems like you are getting the same results, so sounds like normal. Sell your car get the new Challenger Demon.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Doesn't sound like launch control. Just mashing the gas pedal. When Motor Trend first tested the F80 during launch they observed that using launch control the car would burn the tires.
But when they just mashed the gas from a stand still they were able to get the power down better and a faster 0-60 time.
So there preferred method was just mashing the throttle from a stand still. Seems like you are getting the same results, so sounds like normal. Sell your car get the new Challenger Demon.
LOL

To be clear I'm not disappointed in the car at all...love this thing! Just wanted to make sure my "test" wasn't indicative of something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Quote:

When mashing the throttle from a stop, you can modulate the gas to control the wheelspin... this is what motor trend did and alot of guys do at the drag strip so with DCT

With LC, your leaving your foot planted and the computer is suppose to modulate the throttle and clutch for best traction.. thats the theory anyways lol
      12-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just How they disable LC during break in service, i was wondering if they disabled the wot clutch drop feature aswell
I wasn't aware of a clutch drop feature nor it being part of the service? First I've heard of it TBH.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post

Sport+ throttle
DSC fully off
S3

Steps For Added Drama
1. Return to said parking lot
2. Repeat launch procedure until a figure similar to this one appears -->
3. Keep throttle flat to the floor.
      12-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Psychotic Mouse
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M3

Have done exactly the same thing with different results. Stop with DCS off, S3 and Sport +. Mash throttle and the back end lit up.

I didn’t do it for long though. I immediately let off the throttle as I was in a narrow street.

What I have done though that worked well was to engage LC then as you let off the brake immediately let off and climb back on the throttle and manual shift into 2nd. It cancels the LC modulation and auto gear changes and just does a smokey burn out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayzel View Post
I haven't even had the balls to turn DSC off on mine yet and try it out. I've whipped out the back end a little bit just coming out of a turn a few times with all my nannies on and in sport+ and my summer tires, 50 degree dry roads. Try harder
What kind of tires? on the stock Contis i had i never felt comfortable even with Euro MDM. With Michelin PS4S i run DSC fully off all summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
What kind of tires? on the stock Contis i had i never felt comfortable even with Euro MDM. With Michelin PS4S i run DSC fully off all summer.
Stock Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #21
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

That is the problem with the Turbos, Just to much power in the lower RPM range to keep the back end straight if you smash it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

There's a lot of false/inaccurate information in this thread.

The running in service (RIS aka break in) doesn't specifically unlock Launch Control. LC normally becomes available after 1200 miles, but can't confirm whether that's in conjunction with the Maintenance Reminder reset.

With the following options enabled:

DCT (S3)
Engine (Sports+)
DSC (Off)

Launch control = left foot on brake > right foot on gas > depress the gas kick-down button > Launch control activated message will be displayed in gauge cluster

Rolling burnout = briefly step on brake pedal to suspend vehicle motion > release brake pedal (the car won't move without stepping on the gas) > step on the gas all the way down > modulate power by reducing throttle or by lightly stepping on the brake pedal

If you attempt to do a launch or burnout by simply stepping on the brake pedal, and not fully activating LC, then engine power will cut out since there is no torque converter to pre-load the pressure onto.
Appreciate 0