Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep
Drives: non

Bootmod3 E60 Custom Tune with F80Paul at 6000FT Alltitude

Since the release of bootmod3 I have always been intrigued on getting a custom tune as it is exactly that, custom for specific car and it’s mods, the Generic OTS map are exactly that, they work for a variety of different cars. Bootmod3 platform is brilliant and has the ability to take full advantage of this.
With us been at such high altitude the turbos work so much harder due to the elevation and that poses many problems, I worked with Halim and Dzenno to get the OTS High Altitude maps working well and they are working great now, brilliant hard working guys these two.

Dzenno recommended I hit F80Paul for a custom tune on my mates car as he has Pure Turbo and has allot of experience , go in touch with him and we got my mates f82 dialled in great with Hybrid turbos, that car flies with his custom tune and e30.
We started with an e30 tune and ended up at e60 blend and that's where we are now, I am supper impressed with this man’s tuning, no jokes! with V1 baseline we had car running great, no hunting on startup and no boost oscillation as with other tuner after many revisions.

Anyway results speak for themselves, I have also mentioned this in previous posts, a smooth boost curves equates to a nice flat torque curve.
You can see what baseline numbers these cars put down at altitude in this thread and the exact same dyno was used. all runs were done in 32deg Celsius ambient temp so it was proper hot .
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1440494
ZCP did 378hp on wheels baseline and The torque figures are in NM
That’s a 160hp delta!!
here is a peak of the log on dyno to show how clean the boost curve and timing is, on the dyno we dont hit the same load as we do on the road!
Shot for the hard work and effort Paul it’s honestly been a pleasure working with you in getting this car flying and dialled in

Again, this is at 6000ft altitude! :-(
These poor stock turbos are working very very hard , getting my moneys worth.
Mods are AR design Downpipe and Drop-IN K&N Filters and the Key, Ethanol miracle Juice !!!!

actually madness getting the car to be so Quick for the lack of mods.
Attached Images

Last edited by whoop_ass; 12-03-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:09 AM   #2
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep

V-Box times Below
First run 8.5s was done with the car bone stock before even BM3 with 15% eth so it’s safe to say it had advanced the boost and timing to suit the higher octane.
I know the slope is a bit on the excessive side at over 2% but it the same piece of road I have used to see where we go with the tunes, I have tried to keep this consistent as possible, so same road.
For some odd reason my SD card has become corrupt and I cannot get the data off the card from the runs on same road, typical as luck would have it.
Second pic is the OTS 91 octane map with 15% eth ran 7.6s, rather over octane a car and keep timing happy.
Third pic is the OTS E30 map Halim did some minor timing and boost adjustments 7.1s,
Forth pic is Paul E30 map we hit 6.8s
And the final one is 6.3s , granted outside temp was 7 deg Celsius so it was nice and cold and I am sure that helped allot!

Currently busy custom tuning the pump ONLY map with Paul, but WOW the 91 octane here is so so bad it’s more like 89 octane
Attached Images

Last edited by whoop_ass; 12-01-2017 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

You are so right this 95ron we are tuning to now pales in comparison to your Ethanol blends. But thank you for being willing to let me turn the boost down to keep timing somewhat sane. I think you'll be happy with this approach and it will be a nice smooth daily driver map for you.

Thats cool that you have the stock turbo power record for that particular dyno up there, congrats. Nice vbox runs too, especially considering the altitude. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
whoop_ass355.00
      12-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep

Paul I managed to get a new SD card so will be testing the runs again with vboxtools.
ye it's actually sad knowing how bad the Fuel is this side
but it is what it is.
did my calculation and with the 60% eth and 91 fuel it works out to be about 101.5 Ron so prob like 95-96 MON.

I am also heading out back to Dyno this week to see how we did with the straight 91 octane map, dont expect miracles with this crap fuel tho, will post back with the results, vbox and log.
People tend to forget the importance and relevance of octane on High compression DI turbo Cars.

Last edited by whoop_ass; 12-03-2017 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
850_f80m3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
F80 BMW M3  [10.00]
Those are some awesome numbers for that altitude! F80Paul is currently tuning my car with stock turbos for full e85 and the car pulls like a freight train. The tune has completely transformed the car. I was thinking about installing pure turbos because I was getting bored with the power, but he unlocked a whole new side of my car. The power increase is huge and the car is much more responsive now
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:08 AM   #6
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_f80m3 View Post
Those are some awesome numbers for that altitude! F80Paul is currently tuning my car with stock turbos for full e85 and the car pulls like a freight train. The tune has completely transformed the car. I was thinking about installing pure turbos because I was getting bored with the power, but he unlocked a whole new side of my car. The power increase is huge and the car is much more responsive now
Thanks Mate

I dont think people realize the challenge of tuning at such high altitude
we down 2 psi than at sea level much much thinner air, turbo's work way harder, the cooling is less efficient at altitude than at sea level as well, all these factors have a huge impact on performance.

Hahah!! yes Ethanol is miracle Fuel it def makes a huge difference for sure.
Paul knows his stuff for sure and I can't recommend this guy enough
I am sure he will have you car dialled in great for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
850_f80m3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
F80 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
Thanks Mate

I dont think people realize the challenge of tuning at such high altitude
we down 2 psi than at sea level much much thinner air, turbo's work way harder, the cooling is less efficient at altitude than at sea level as well, all these factors have a huge impact on performance.

Hahah!! yes Ethanol is miracle Fuel it def makes a huge difference for sure.
Paul knows his stuff for sure and I can't recommend this guy enough
I am sure he will have you car dialled in great for you.
He pretty much has it dialed in. We're slowly bringing boost up to max efficiency, then I'll have some vbox and dyno numbers to see what it can do. We'll have a nice comparison of Paul's full e85 vs Carey's full e85 on the same car and same conditions. I think I already know the outcome lol
Appreciate 1
whoop_ass355.00
      12-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_f80m3 View Post
He pretty much has it dialed in. We're slowly bringing boost up to max efficiency, then I'll have some vbox and dyno numbers to see what it can do. We'll have a nice comparison of Paul's full e85 vs Carey's full e85 on the same car and same conditions. I think I already know the outcome lol

Sweet! i am keen to see how those vbox runs do compared to altitude.
mine on perfect flat slope should do 6.8 100 to 200 max

look forward to the results bro
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
850_f80m3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
F80 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
Sweet! i am keen to see how those vbox runs do compared to altitude.
mine on perfect flat slope should do 6.8 100 to 200 max

look forward to the results bro
I should have the numbers in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to make a thread
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #10
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep

Great Stuff looking forward to this mate.
Appreciate 0