BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Aftermarket FMIC install question

Two weekends ago I installed a VRSF 7" FMIC and am curious to know if I installed the silicon coupler to the OEM pipe coming from the turbo correctly. I slide the silicon coupler over the end of the OEM pipe, the part that fit inside of the OEM FMIC, is that correct? It was a PITA to do and just seems like there could have been a better solution. The FMIC came with no instructions so I did what I assumed was correct.

1Mpostr

Last edited by JPuehl; 08-21-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Sounds correct to me
      08-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
Two weekends ago I installed a VRSF 7" FMIC and am curious to know if I installed the silicon coupler to the OEM pipe coming from the turbo correctly. I slide the silicon coupler over the end of the OEM pipe, the part that fit inside of the OEM FMIC, is that correct? It was a PITA to do and just seems like there could have been a better solution. The FMIC came with no instructions so I did what I assumed was correct.
On both sides of the intercooler there should be a silicon coupler and clamps.

For an 09+ vehicle you should also have received the lower charge pipe that connects to the upper charge pipe (AKA charge pipe in this platform) which connects to the throttle body.

Assuming that sounds correct to you and you're running well and not leaking boost you should be good.

If you have a picture feel free to post them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
On both sides of the intercooler there should be a silicon coupler and clamps.

For an 09+ vehicle you should also have received the lower charge pipe that connects to the upper charge pipe (AKA charge pipe in this platform) which connects to the throttle body.

Assuming that sounds correct to you and you're running well and not leaking boost you should be good.

If you have a picture feel free to post them.
It's running fine and not leaking even with 15# boost. It just seems there could/should have been a better connection on the turbo side. Since the part that normally goes inside the OEM FMIC connection and now it doesn't, the flexible part of that hose is all the way compressed shorten the pipe and allow room for the intercooler connector. If that's the best setup, then so be it. Thank's for the response.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
It's running fine and not leaking even with 15# boost. It just seems there could/should have been a better connection on the turbo side. Since the part that normally goes inside the OEM FMIC connection and now it doesn't, the flexible part of that hose is all the way compressed shorten the pipe and allow room for the intercooler connector. If that's the best setup, then so be it. Thank's for the response.

Ah, that's where you went wrong.

The factory accordion has to be removed. The included coupler should fit to the factory outlet pipe and intercooler only,,, nothing inbetween.

This is wrong:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211248
Appreciate 1
Dr182.00
      08-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Ah, that's where you went wrong.

The factory accordion has to be removed. The included coupler should fit to the factory outlet pipe and intercooler only,,, nothing inbetween.

This is wrong:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211248
Yea, with the lower cp none of the stock components are re-used.
Appreciate 0