BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

N55 stock+PPK boost @ 12+ PSI

We've had a nice stretch of hot weather here in Vancouver for the last several weeks, with the temperatures surpassing 33 deg Celsius (91.5 F) daily. I believe whole pacific northwest is like this at the moment...

That results in increased intake temperatures (as high as 55 deg C/130F and more) and some record boost level readings on my N55 135i w/PPK.
While my car routinely shows 10-11 PSI under WOT when it's nice and cool in the early morning, on the way back home today I have crossed the 12 PSI for the first time ever. This is according to Torque Pro, newest version.
For reference, before the PPK (and before it got hot outside) boost would struggle to reach 8 PSI.
So there you have it, seems like I just discovered the PPK boost pressure limit.

BTW, the car behaves in an exemplary manner and this being my first hot stretch with it, I wasn't sure what to expect. My last turbocharged daily, Abarth 500 would lose half of its tiny might when the weather got like this... you could feel it struggle to stay alive pulling back boost and timing. Not this.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
verto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Similar experience here. TourqePro is maxing out at 12psi and it's pretty consistent even when in 90F+ weather this summer. Compared to this winter without it, refused to build boost without a flogging. Night and day difference.
Appreciate 0