Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

M5 vs Tesla S 85?

Hi

I'm a regular of the F30 board, first post here

I've grown a little tired of trying different chassis mods to get my hybrid 3 to handle as I want it to, and I'm thinking of changing for something that handles nicely in stock form instead rather than chasing something I can't seem to get right.

What i'm looking for is a GT all round experience, something that drives nicely when I feel like it with power and handling - good cornering, stability... - and that can seat the family (3 kids) when we need it.

Right now I should be able to afford a used 2012 M5 (25000km, BMW warranty for as long as financing lasts), or a used Tesla S 85 for similar prices.

M cars, and the M5 are mythical to me, something I have really wanted, but just when I seem to be able to affording one, times are changing and the thought of running an expensive V8, DCT - I'm talking about parts if it breaks down - is a bit of an unknown, and seeing the Tesla with its 8 years warranty and very little parts to break, charging points becoming more ubiquitous... that gets me to think.

But I don't want to end up with an expensive dull car, yes it pulls hard but that doesn't mean handling is any satisfying.

I've seen raving reviews of the M5
(i like this one -
or this TopGear one
)

None of the Tesla S, being for a different public, discuss anything else than it being quiet and accelerating hard, but that doesn't tell me anything; even this M5 against Tesla S doesn't conclude on handling, just on them preferring the Tesla with tech being newer despite being slightly less engaging

Well I hope I don't get flamed
Just looking for honest opinion on fun/engagement, daily driveability (is that DCT so annyoing for daily drive?), running costs (are the S63tu engine and DCT reliable?), depreciation (how much can I recoup in 3-5 years time?)... finding the right balance between all of that.
      04-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Sounds like petrol vs electric is your first and only issue to address. Once you figure out which one you really want then the choice should be easy. Forget about any other question/concern you have right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Sounds like petrol vs electric is your first and only issue to address. Once you figure out which one you really want then the choice should be easy. Forget about any other question/concern you have right now.
Hi

Well actually in my mind it's more about handling, if the Tesla handles like a boat, i don't want it.
      04-25-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Fun and exciting?....do not get an electric car. The novelty of quietness will wear off quickly. Drove electric for 3 years, couldn't wait to get into something with more feedback and performance.
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      04-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Hi

Well actually in my mind it's more about handling, if the Tesla handles like a boat, i don't want it.
You should know this already. It's lugging batteries around.
Appreciate 0