Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

Closed Thread

04-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

New M4 and unable to receive text notifications

Forgive me if this is an old topic or one beaten to death, but I am new to my exhilarating 2016 M4. I love the car in almost every way, but I've discovered that while I can play multimedia contents, songs and album art from my iPhone over Bluetooth or via the USB connector, I am unable to receive text notifications either through the car speakers or on the iPhone speaker while connected via Bluetooth. Apparently, my (originally priced) $84,000 car lacks the functionality of enhanced Bluetooth that allows this. My $40,000 Tundra has this as standard equipment. I love/hate BMW; this is my fourth one and there's always some weird lack of functionality that less expensive cars of the same year seem to have. Such is love.

Is there a reliable way to encode enhanced Bluetooth to allow my incoming texts to play their notification sound? I don't care about being able to read texts- I just want to know they're there. Thanks to you more knowledgeable souls out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Here is one of several threads I have seen on the topic:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1362332

Try looking through that section of the forum.

Personally, texts work fine for me. Never was able to get email to work no matter what I read in threads and tried. Coincidentally spoke to a BMW Genius today who told me I can't get email with an iPhone.

I can however, listen to emails read to me by Siri (just press and hold the voice control button until you hear Siri sound and say "read my email". Can also be used to read and send text messages.)

Edit: if all you care about is knowing they are there, once set up you will see a notification on your idrive screen but as far as I know there is no sound.
      04-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Edit: if all you care about is knowing they are there, once set up you will see a notification on your idrive screen but as far as I know there is no sound.
That's my understanding and experience too - no sound. Just a little envelope icon on the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=Text+sound
Closed Thread