BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

BMW dealership screwed up Warranty

So... I bought my 2011 e90M3 back in December from Atlanta. I was pretty adamant about getting an extended warranty to cover any major issues. I bought the car from marrieta auto sales near ATL but I had the PPI done at bmw of Atlanta. I ultimately was able to buy a "total care" 5year/100k miles extended through BMW (the warranty was from third party company Easy Care). I was happy with the peace of mind warranty purchase.

Fast forward until a month ago when I called Easy Care for my first claim (transmission oil pain leaking). Easy Care tells me that my car still has the CPO warranty from BMW until August of this year I think and that I should take the care to a BMW dealership. I take the care to a BMW dealership in Boston and they tell me the car is in fact NOT a cpo because I did not buy it from the original CPO and some other reasons. So they won't cover the job either (they quoted me about $1500 for the oil pan/gasket job - more like $800 from my indy guy).

Come to find out from some reason the BMW dealer of Atlanta wrote/sold me the contract as if the car was a "CPO" car. Now I'm left with buying a different contract which will cost me thousands more or cancel the contract (and get my money back).

I'm pissed. And yes, I have contacted the BMW dealer in Atlanta and been going back and forth with them for weeks now. I even contacted BMW USA and had the car put on my name but as far as cpo warranty transfer, their application requirements obviously says that car must be bought from original cpo buyer (again I bought it from a non-bmw dealer). Any thoughts/ideas? I really didn't want a warrantless car but it looks like my only reasonable option. I'm not gonna pay double for another contract (I initially paid around 4k for warranty). Freaking BMW!!!!! damn!
      03-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
MrMikeHenry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
So... I bought my 2011 e90M3 back in December from Atlanta. I was pretty adamant about getting an extended warranty to cover any major issues. I bought the car from marrieta auto sales near ATL but I had the PPI done at bmw of Atlanta. I ultimately was able to buy a "total care" 5year/100k miles extended through BMW (the warranty was from third party company Easy Care). I was happy with the peace of mind warranty purchase.

Fast forward until a month ago when I called Easy Care for my first claim (transmission oil pain leaking). Easy Care tells me that my car still has the CPO warranty from BMW until August of this year I think and that I should take the care to a BMW dealership. I take the care to a BMW dealership in Boston and they tell me the car is in fact NOT a cpo because I did not buy it from the original CPO and some other reasons. So they won't cover the job either (they quoted me about $1500 for the oil pan/gasket job - more like $800 from my indy guy).

Come to find out from some reason the BMW dealer of Atlanta wrote/sold me the contract as if the car was a "CPO" car. Now I'm left with buying a different contract which will cost me thousands more or cancel the contract (and get my money back).

I'm pissed. And yes, I have contacted the BMW dealer in Atlanta and been going back and forth with them for weeks now. I even contacted BMW USA and had the car put on my name but as far as cpo warranty transfer, their application requirements obviously says that car must be bought from original cpo buyer (again I bought it from a non-bmw dealer). Any thoughts/ideas? I really didn't want a warrantless car but it looks like my only reasonable option. I'm not gonna pay double for another contract (I initially paid around 4k for warranty). Freaking BMW!!!!! damn!
In my experience that is correct if you don't but the car from an official BMW dealership or directly from the original owner it's not considered CPO.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

The BMW dealer sold you the warranty for X miles for X dollars. They made the mistake. They should pay the difference to Easy care.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The BMW dealership that sold you that warranty should refund 100% of your money. Effectively you were sold a worthless warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Slowreaction
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone E90 M3

I bought my 09 e90 in December also and purchased the top easy care package. I think it was for 4500. A week into owning it, the actuator went out and neither the dealer or easycare would help with the fix or cost. It took me three weeks to even get a straight answer from my dealer, my sales guy wouldn't even call me back. Luckily I was able to return my easy care package before the 30 days was up.I wish you luck and hope you get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

Worst case you should be able to cancel the easy care coverage and get a prorated amount refunded to you.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
blue-mw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

OP, sorry to hear about your hard time. I explored CPO cars last year and had various dealerships tell me the CPO coverage followed the car, not the owner. Grain of salt - when I asked, it was in the context of a private party transaction, not third party dealership.

Though this seems odd because you didn't set up the warranty, BMW did and they did so with all the tools they needed to verify your car's status. What's more odd to me is why they had to set up a different warranty for a CPO car. I mean, what's the difference between EasyCare vs EasyCare for CPO that is preventing you from making a claim? Was it set to start at the end of CPO coverage or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowreaction View Post
I bought my 09 e90 in December also and purchased the top easy care package. I think it was for 4500. A week into owning it, the actuator went out and neither the dealer or easycare would help with the fix or cost. It took me three weeks to even get a straight answer from my dealer, my sales guy wouldn't even call me back. Luckily I was able to return my easy care package before the 30 days was up.I wish you luck and hope you get it resolved.
Was it not covered by EasyCare?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
STC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

What a nightmare. Hope it works out OP!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Slowreaction
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-mw View Post
OP, sorry to hear about your hard time. I explored CPO cars last year and had various dealerships tell me the CPO coverage followed the car, not the owner. Grain of salt - when I asked, it was in the context of a private party transaction, not third party dealership.

Though this seems odd because you didn't set up the warranty, BMW did and they did so with all the tools they needed to verify your car's status. What's more odd to me is why they had to set up a different warranty for a CPO car. I mean, what's the difference between EasyCare vs EasyCare for CPO that is preventing you from making a claim? Was it set to start at the end of CPO coverage or something?

Was it not covered by EasyCare?
Throttle actuators are not covered. The guideline as to what they will fix is very specific which is why I choose to return it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #10
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Which easy care package did you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Thanks for the support everyone. I got the total care warranty - easy care's most comprehensive coverage. I was under the impression that the car was not cpo when I bought it because I was buying it from a third party dealership (and that dealer did not claim the car was cpo). I knew that the previous owner was a cpo owner because of the car fax report - which gave me more confidence that the car was i good shape when I bought it. But the issue is that bmw for some reason (incompetency) sold me the extended warranty that easy care has for designated for cpo cars only. technically the car is cpo (in a sense that if the previous owner still owned it, the car would cpo) but I'm not the owner/contract holder of the cpo. I can get my money back, which is likely what I'll do but now I'll be without an extended warranty (which I was pretty adamant to about). I am not mechanical inclined and didn't want to deal any headaches if anything major needed fixing. But I guess live and learn
      03-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Bro, sorry to hear your story...it reminds me that sometimes no matter how much we check things out we can't always cover every single situation and then have to depend on the representation of other people as being factual. The only thing I can offer is possibly to consider speaking with an attorney friend of the family or somebody you might know who can tell you if you have legal standing in this case and if so charge you a nominal fee as in less than a hundred bucks to send a letter to the dealer asking them to make this right. I've had situations in the past where I paid 50 bucks for a lawyer's letter and was amazed at how quickly the offending party or company would go to rectify the situation on my behalf.You may have to (after considering all the effort,) decide it's not worth it to pursue and just do what you've already thought about doing. Either way I hope it works out.
Appreciate 0