BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Brake pads and fluid for street car doing HPDE

Need some brake job advice for my street driven M3 I'm planning to do my first HPDE with soon. I'm currently on factory pads and rotors and have a few questions:

First: what is a good hybrid brake pad to use? I was looking at the StopTech Street performance pads. But dont know if that's strong enough for track duty, but I also don't want a pad that will wear down my rotors too heavily since it's a street car (not daily driven though). I also saw the Hawk HP Plus pads for more money but maybe they're too much for stock rotors?

Secondly: Do I have to change the rotors at the same time, or is it ok to put new hybrid pads on my factory rotors and just bed the pads in? I will be checking the thickness of my rotors to make sure they are still within spec, does anyone know what is the minimum the rotors should be?

Lastly: Will any higher temp DOT4 fluid do the trick? Or is there a particular one I should buy or that you guys like to run?

Thanks!
      03-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Endless MX72 or CCRg (track pad). Endless RF650 fluid. One of the best pedal feel fluids ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
Need some brake job advice for my street driven M3 I'm planning to do my first HPDE with soon. I'm currently on factory pads and rotors and have a few questions:

First: what is a good hybrid brake pad to use? I was looking at the StopTech Street performance pads. But dont know if that's strong enough for track duty, but I also don't want a pad that will wear down my rotors too heavily since it's a street car (not daily driven though). I also saw the Hawk HP Plus pads for more money but maybe they're too much for stock rotors?

Secondly: Do I have to change the rotors at the same time, or is it ok to put new hybrid pads on my factory rotors and just bed the pads in? I will be checking the thickness of my rotors to make sure they are still within spec, does anyone know what is the minimum the rotors should be?

Lastly: Will any higher temp DOT4 fluid do the trick? Or is there a particular one I should buy or that you guys like to run?

Thanks!

For a hybrid pad, your best bet as far as availability and performance will be the Ferodo DS2500. It might squeak a bit when very cold. I have used these as a hybrid on multiple cars, including my M3. Even Dave at Zeckhausen Racing will recommend this.

No, you don't need to change the rotors, but you will want to bed the new pads in. Thickness is actually printed on the rotor itself.

For fluid, go with Castrol SRF.
BigRussia152.00
      03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
For a hybrid pad, your best bet as far as availability and performance will be the Ferodo DS2500. It might squeak a bit when very cold. I have used these as a hybrid on multiple cars, including my M3. Even Dave at Zeckhausen Racing will recommend this.

No, you don't need to change the rotors, but you will want to bed the new pads in. Thickness is actually printed on the rotor itself.

For fluid, go with Castrol SRF.
Thanks for the always great advice! Would you know if the Ferodo's are quieter for the street than the HP Plus? Major complaint I read with the HP Plus are they are very noisy, too much so for street.

Will the Ferodo pads wear the rotors significantly faster than regular street pads? I'm sure itll wear more but I want to know if its going to be a concern since I will be driving with these pads 100% of the time
      03-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Dreamer99
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92M3

As long as your brakes are in good condition I would just do the HPDE with a stock setup. Once you get into tracking more often then you will require upgraded brake fluid and pads.

Go have some fun first then spend some of your money if you continue to advance you skills and do open tracking sessions.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer99 View Post
As long as your brakes are in good condition I would just do the HPDE with a stock setup. Once you get into tracking more often then you will require upgraded brake fluid and pads.

Go have some fun first then spend some of your money if you continue to advance you skills and do open tracking sessions.
+100. I did my first half handful of events bone stock. Once my skill level and comfort increased, I increased the braking accordingly.

Just go have fun.
      03-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
+100. I did my first half handful of events bone stock. Once my skill level and comfort increased, I increased the braking accordingly.

Just go have fun.
Im glad to hear this, I was just trying to do due diligence before my first HPDE and was thinking the stock pads and rotors wouldn't suffice. Just didn't want to have to end my track day early because my pads cooked.

And the cost isnt really much of an issue for me, I already have the SS lines, just want to get a pair of front pads and upgraded fluid so maybe all under $300. Also want to replace my pads before they hit the wear sensor and then those needing to be replaced too.

Going off what you guys saying how about maybe running the Hawk HPS pads? Seem to be a good performing street pad that while not intended for track use seem to be able to handle light track duty?

Last edited by BigRussia; 03-22-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
elim11423.50
      03-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Endless MX72 or CCRg (track pad). Endless RF650 fluid. One of the best pedal feel fluids ever.
I would never run MX72 again on the track. I overheated them and they coated the rotor pretty badly. CCRg are fine.

Right now I'm using Project Mu HC+ and Project Mu G-four 335 fluid for track use. The pads squeal like mad on the street but no deposits.
      03-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I would never run MX72 again on the track. I overheated them and they coated the rotor pretty badly. CCRg are fine.

Right now I'm using Project Mu HC+ and Project Mu G-four 335 fluid for track use. The pads squeal like mad on the street but no deposits.
Yeah im looking for the balance of street able but trackable pads for my street car, so alot of squeal and dust is not what im looking for since im leaving the pads on.
      03-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't think you will find the balance you are looking for.
Track pads squeal, street pads don't perform as well as track pads.

Many run two sets of pads and swap them before going to the track.

Which track day are you doing and at what track? I'm thinking of going to a few soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

Which track day are you doing and at what track? I'm thinking of going to a few soon.
+1

Anything that'll last through a track day will squeal at least a little.

If you're ok with subpar braking and pulling out of the track sessions early, you can get away with street/track pads... just be aware that some are friendlier than others when it comes to overheating and pad deposits.

If you haven't tracked before, you can just flush the brake fluid with high temp fluid and try the stock pads. They'll fade quickly but usually do ok for beginner sessions. I ran them before.

With any pad, be sure to do some cool down laps before exiting. Last thing you want is pads cooking on the rotor when you park.
      03-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

I just meant I dont want ALOT of squeal, like a massive embarrassing amount. Im cool with a little squeal that all performance/track pads make. Even my current pads, that I'm assuming are factory OEM, squeal when I come to a stop after getting heat into them during spirited driving (are the OEM M3 pads expected to squeal or do I possibly have upgraded pads already?)

Sounds like the Ferodo DS2500 are a good balance that I'm seeking, but then I see some saying they suck on the track (but maybe those are hardcore track guys)

tdott - Im planning on doing the PDG HPDE in May at Homestead, its posted in the SouthEast region forum.
      03-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

DS2500 will cook way before MX72 or CCRg.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
MShift
OG
Rep
Drives: MW '13 E92

DS2500 pads should be enough for you if you're just getting started. RBF600 fluid and, while not necessary, if you can swing it get some SS brake lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #15
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:

Race car diver KingLeh would argue otherwise. He runs StopTech BBK with ST Street Performance pads and uses on street and track and kills it.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #16
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Race car diver KingLeh would argue otherwise. He runs StopTech BBK with ST Street Performance pads and uses on street and track and kills it.

Cheers,
e46e92
We are talking stock brakes here.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #17
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post

Cheers,
e46e92
We are talking stock brakes here.
Your statement was about the pads. Are you stating that the compromises you state that a race car driver states does not exist would suddenly appear because of the size of the rotor and number of pistons on the brake system?

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
MShift
OG
Rep
Drives: MW '13 E92

Way to kill the thread by derailing it with your edicks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
Thanks for the always great advice! Would you know if the Ferodo's are quieter for the street than the HP Plus? Major complaint I read with the HP Plus are they are very noisy, too much so for street.

Will the Ferodo pads wear the rotors significantly faster than regular street pads? I'm sure itll wear more but I want to know if its going to be a concern since I will be driving with these pads 100% of the time

I have never run the HP Plus, but a coworker of mine has an E46 M3 with those pads and it sounds like a garbage truck. It was pretty annoying to ride in it.

The Ferodo pads will eat through the rotors faster than a stock pad, yes. That is the trade-off for better braking. The OEM rotors are pretty beefy so it's not like you're going to hit minimum thickness in a month of driving. The DS2500 is still considered a hybrid pad so it's not like running a track pad that is absolutely brutal to rotors when it is cold.

I would not overthink it. Focus on developing proper (and safe) technique -- this will let you use the brakes more effectively. Novices often overheat their brakes.

Last edited by dparm; 03-26-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #20
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
Way to kill the thread by derailing it with your edicks.
Contrary to your self delusions, your opinions are not the only ones that count. You want to decide who can post and what, feel free to apply as a moderator. Actually, don't, you won't be approved.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

You should be fine with stock pads if you've never tracked before. If you have any concerns, go with the Stoptech Street performance. They check all your boxes and will be fine through your first few track events. If you get the track bug after 2-3 events, you'll need to move onto different pads for track and street. Mic dropped.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #22
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Forgot to mention to put a sock over your power steering reservoir as it will spew fluid all over your engine bay otherwise.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0