BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
iwentrogue
TNS
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3 DCT

Spark Plugs

So back a couple years ago I had an engine that blew. Long story short, bmw drug me along until I finally made them scope the cylinders that were throwing codes. Lo and behold, a piece of cylinder 7 broke off and was flying around, reeking havoc. After an even longer process (6 months), they replaced the engine under warranty (37k miles on the clock).

A couple weeks ago (67k miles) I had an unfortunate occurrence with which my wheels collided with a pot hole and cracked two and bent one (and then bent two more ). I drove up to Anaheim, picked up my wheels, had them mounted at EAS and then threw the car on the dyno, just for kicks. Well, the dyno results were disappointing to say the least, compared to other cars with the same mods on the same dyno. So I did what anyone should do, I shot over the dyno chart to Mike Benvo who started analyzing and formulating possible causes and then he went through my service records. Mike asks me when the last time I changed plugs was and I, of course respond with when the engine was replaced.

Everything was annotated except the spark plugs, so I start calling BMW. They start off by saying the car is now out of warranty and there is no proof that the plugs were replaced or were not. On top of this, out of four different service reps and a manager, not one could tell me the service interval for sparkplugs! I feel like I am going into surgery and telling the doctor that he is cutting in the wrong spot and to use a different scalpel.

So, they had taken my spark plugs out of my blown engine (that were already past their service interval) and put them in my new engine.

Long story short, Mike Benvo is the man, BMW sucks and buy the spark plug tool and do it yourself because these clowns do not know what the hell they are doing.

They also wanted to charge $900 dollars for a spark plug change! #stealership
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Locloud9
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Coupe

I thoroughly despise taking my car to anyone unless I have the time to watch them step by step. Stories like these are why...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I do everything myself... I prefer to break something myself that have others do it for me and then not say anything
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
iwentrogue
TNS
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I do everything myself... I prefer to break something myself that have others do it for me and then not say anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locloud9 View Post

I thoroughly despise taking my car to anyone unless I have the time to watch them step by step. Stories like these are why...
I feel the exact same way. I am, however, still under warranty so in an effort to not give them any way out if something goes wrong I take it to the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwentrogue View Post
So back a couple years ago I had an engine that blew. Long story short, bmw drug me along until I finally made them scope the cylinders that were throwing codes. Lo and behold, a piece of cylinder 7 broke off and was flying around, reeking havoc. After an even longer process (6 months), they replaced the engine under warranty (37k miles on the clock).

A couple weeks ago (67k miles) I had an unfortunate occurrence with which my wheels collided with a pot hole and cracked two and bent one (and then bent two more ). I drove up to Anaheim, picked up my wheels, had them mounted at EAS and then threw the car on the dyno, just for kicks. Well, the dyno results were disappointing to say the least, compared to other cars with the same mods on the same dyno. So I did what anyone should do, I shot over the dyno chart to Mike Benvo who started analyzing and formulating possible causes and then he went through my service records. Mike asks me when the last time I changed plugs was and I, of course respond with when the engine was replaced.

Everything was annotated except the spark plugs, so I start calling BMW. They start off by saying the car is now out of warranty and there is no proof that the plugs were replaced or were not. On top of this, out of four different service reps and a manager, not one could tell me the service interval for sparkplugs! I feel like I am going into surgery and telling the doctor that he is cutting in the wrong spot and to use a different scalpel.

So, they had taken my spark plugs out of my blown engine (that were already past their service interval) and put them in my new engine.

Long story short, Mike Benvo is the man, BMW sucks and buy the spark plug tool and do it yourself because these clowns do not know what the hell they are doing.

They also wanted to charge $900 dollars for a spark plug change! #stealership

Wow ! Another example of how poor dealerships treat people.
Sorry about your bad experience and $900 is absurd for spark plug replacement.
Factory book time is 2.1 hours and list price is $29 each
I know this because I just replaced mine after calling around.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwentrogue View Post
I feel the exact same way. I am, however, still under warranty so in an effort to not give them any way out if something goes wrong I take it to the stealership.
I'm still under warranty as well and fear every time I have to take it to those jokers. Then I double check their work....
Appreciate 0