BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
BajanM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Comfort Access hands free trunk release

I recently got my 2017 M3 and I tried kicking my foot under neath the rear bumper and my trunk will not open.

I got the M Performance Titanium Exhaust with Carbon Fibre Tips added on. I'm wondering if this kit is blocking the sensors?

Anyone else have the M Performance Titanium exhaust and they are able to get the trunk to open by kicking their foot under the bumper?

Do you have to enable this feature or something, or should it work right away?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanM3 View Post
I recently got my 2017 M3 and I tried kicking my foot under neath the rear bumper and my trunk will not open.

I got the M Performance Titanium Exhaust with Carbon Fibre Tips added on. I'm wondering if this kit is blocking the sensors?

Anyone else have the M Performance Titanium exhaust and they are able to get the trunk to open by kicking their foot under the bumper?

Do you have to enable this feature or something, or should it work right away?
No need to activate it. Did you have the exhaust installed at port or at dealer? Do you have a CF diffuser?

CF diffuser will interfere with the kick sensor and BMW states that adding their M CF diffuser disables the kick sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
BajanM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
No need to activate it. Did you have the exhaust installed at port or at dealer? Do you have a CF diffuser?

CF diffuser will interfere with the kick sensor and BMW states that adding their M CF diffuser disables the kick sensor.
I was told that my exhaust was installed at the port.
and yeah..I got the M Performance Carbon Package as well...which comes with the rear diffuser.

Where does BMW state that it disables the kick sensor?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
You just have to move the sensor to the left. It looks like a rectangular black strip with 4 round sensors on it and its currently under the rear diffuser. Your kick feature will then work.

Appreciate 2
      03-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanM3 View Post
I was told that my exhaust was installed at the port.
and yeah..I got the M Performance Carbon Package as well...which comes with the rear diffuser.

Where does BMW state that it disables the kick sensor?
I can't find the thread that has the specific release info. It's here somewhere. It is annoying that CAs don't warn you about this before ordering it. As suggested, you can tackle moving the sensor so the CF does not interfere with it.

BTW - not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US anything installed at port has to be listed on the window sticker.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
SMV_M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 AW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Bad news. The CF diffuser doesn't disable the kick sensor, just interferes as previously mentioned in the thread. This causes the occasional and unexpected opening of the trunk lid for no reason if your key is anywhere near your car and the sensor is somehow tripped. I find my trunk open in my garage every once and awhile. It's very annoying, but I've gotta have my cf diffuser.
2008 335xi Coupe / JB/CR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMV_M4 View Post
Bad news. The CF diffuser doesn't disable the kick sensor, just interferes as previously mentioned in the thread. This causes the occasional and unexpected opening of the trunk lid for no reason if your key is anywhere near your car and the sensor is somehow tripped. I find my trunk open in my garage every once and awhile. It's very annoying, but I've gotta have my cf diffuser.
Same here, love the m perf cf diffuser. I ended up disabling the trunk kick feature via coding.

I will experiment with the antenna / sensor placement once the weather warms up. If that works out I'll re-enable it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMV_M4 View Post
Same here, love the m perf cf diffuser. I ended up disabling the trunk kick feature via coding.

I will experiment with the antenna / sensor placement once the weather warms up. If that works out I'll re-enable it.
Is it easy to move the sensor?
      03-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
BajanM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

I FINALLY got an answer to this.

I posted the details here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post21472122
Appreciate 0