proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
panzer948
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (April 2015 ED)

Recomendation for Speaker/Amplifier Upgrade

So I have a M4 with the optioned out HK Logic 7 sound system. However, I am starting to get less than pleased with it. For the money we paid for this option it should be better quality. I do not blast my radio so the neighbors can hear but I have had previous cars upgraded with aftermarket systems and I know what good clean audio sound should be like. Right now, my 2000 Dodge Durango which I spent about 2K to fully replace the head unit, speakers, add two amps and a sub is miles ahead of my M4 in sound quality.

However, I actually have another problem that I have already tried to get fixed under warranty that they didn't solve. But.... it involves listening to talk radio.... Yes, I do listen to talk radio from time to time, including AM. If traveling at highway speeds and needing to turn up any talk radio (sat, AM, etc.) to get over road noise, my rear speakers really start to distort. They sometimes even make a ping/crackle sound when the radio is lower too. I know it is mostly the rear speakers because when I fade the sound to the fronts they distortion goes away. BMW already had the car a couple of days and said they couldn't reproduce it... go figure. So my question is are there some good solutions out there to replace the main speakers in the car along with a more powerful amp (and probably a matching sub). I say amp because just swapping out the speakers for higher quality ones will not gain you much without them being pushed by some cleaner power. However, I know this is no Dodge Durango and the system is very complicated with all the multiple speakers, amps, subs etc. I don't mind taking it somewhere to get it done right if there is a good system out there that can replace most of this gear. Obviously the head unit can stay the same. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

bav sound stage 1 plus the ghost subs should make you happy
      02-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
panzer948
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (April 2015 ED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
bav sound stage 1 plus the ghost subs should make you happy
Excellent, I will check it out.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Actually, for the price we paid for the HK ($875), it is good. A good sound system can easily run over $3,000.

If you want clean sound, I'd replace all the speakers with Bavsound first.
      03-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Actually, for the price we paid for the HK ($875), it is good.
It's a tough assessment, but I largely agree. On the one hand, there is nothing you are going to do in the aftermarket for $875 installed that will be as good as the OEM h/k. On the other hand, it could still certainly be better at that price. Options are designed to make the manufacturers money. Several years ago at AES the Harman/Becker rep who handled MINI at the time and me were in the same breakout group in one particular session. He told me that MINI was paying around 12 euros total for all 10 speakers in the MINI h/k system. I still can't believe that. But when you look at the poor quality control on the drivers and the large sample-to-sample variation, I guess it shows.

Quote:
A good sound system can easily run over $3,000.
$3,000 would get you our complete Soundstage™ + 10" Phantom™ subwoofer system, installed. To call it "good" would be a pretty substantial understatement.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

I got only 2 speakers in my Gts. I want my money back!

You guys have it Good!
Appreciate 1
lavon2.00