BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Got my first M3! 2009

Didn't want to put it up in the title, but it's an e93.

A little history - I owned a 335i sedan previously, and later chose an 09' PDK Boxster S over a similar M3.

Well, after getting rid of the Boxster and being a little while without a real performance car, I have decided to finally get the M3.

Initially I was going back and forth between an e92 or e90, all with DCT - as I know the e93 gets a performance penalty due to the weight, but after driving a lot of cars back to back, the surround sound of the e93 just won it for me, and honestly the performance was very close between them. (I'm not tracking the car, so hard to really feel the weight of the e93).

Plus, being winter, I got a really good deal on the convertible - the e90 and e92's were all several thousand dollars more for the similar specs.

Of course, I got a good warranty backed by Toyota as well, to cover the known issues like throttle actuators or the dreaded rod bearings problem, which I hope I never encounter.

It's Jerez Black with the Silver Novillo leather. It wasn't my first choice in interior color, as I preferred red or black, but the Silver Novillo has grown on me and I do like it.

The arm rest leather on the door has a little yellow discoloring - possible sun damage? Any idea if this can be fixed or polished out?

As for the drive, it's a blast. I already took it on a 2000 mile road trip the day I got it. Very explosive in M mode with everything turned up - really shifts aggressively and the car comes alive.

Believe it or not, I find the car a bit more exciting than the Boxster S that i had, which I felt the PDK was a little bit softer. The M3 is really electrifying, and the sound is amazing, especially with the top down. Handling wise, the Boxster was tighter, and both feel very stable at highway speeds and effortless. I had also considered and driven a few C63's, and while very fast - I was more intrigued and drawn to the M3's overall feeling of balance and more advanced technology. (M Mode, different settings, etc - I love that stuff more than the simpler C63's interface)

Very much enjoying it so far! Will try to get some better pictures as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

E93 FTW, lots of hate but i searched far and wide for a red e93 and nobody can turn my smile upside down when i'm rolling topless on a sunny day
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
rondocap
Captain
Rep

Heh, yeah - and I routinely and comfortably put the top down in the 30's and 40's, just pop on a hat, and off you go. Of course, 60 degrees + feels great, but I'm in it for the sound with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
Heh, yeah - and I routinely and comfortably put the top down in the 30's and 40's, just pop on a hat, and off you go. Of course, 60 degrees + feels great, but I'm in it for the sound with the top down.
oh yea definitely, especially with an exhaust 30s and 40s though? man..that's dedication, I only drop it when it's 70+ here haha
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Uhm bro? I SAID get SILVER exterior w/BLACK interior...not sure what you heard
Nice pic up...but as we always say on here with new acquisitions:
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4986.00
      02-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
Congrats OP! Welcome to the club. RE: interior color...I owned an e46 M3 vert in a similar color combo and while the lighter interior is not for everyone...it stays cooler in the summer and is well suited to a vert IMO. As far as the yellowing on the door arm rest...I would try to use a quality leather cleaner (not conditioner yet) and see how it looks. I bet it cleans up nicely. Might be suntan lotion residue (ask me how I know). Worst case you can swap it out for a new one if it bugs you.

Enjoy!

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Tanks95
Rep
Drives: 95 M3

Congrats, and welcome to a lifelong relationship. No matter what body style, the motor is the core of the relationship!

Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Congrats and welcome!

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
rondocap
Captain
Rep

For all of the reviews and comparisons that you read, and videos that you watch, even brief test drives, you never get the same feeling as when you've driven the car for a couple of thousand miles.

I am really getting quite addicted to driving the car- here's why:

1.) The way it feels on the road, even at slow speeds in drive. At faster speeds, like long sweeping curves, the car just feels so comfortable and composed.

4th and 5th gear give you that nice rubber band effect on the highway as you cruise, plenty of power for passing. It's a little lazier off the line, but no where as bad as I was expecting from reading people compare it to the c63.

2.) The engine and DCT are electricrifying, instant power and super aggressive. Yes, you need to keep it in the higher revs, but the car is absolutely alive.

Anyway, these are things people have known ever since the car came out in 2007, but I figured I would join in with some feedback because a lot of people still buy this car. The c63 is the big comparison, and while Faster, it's not as racecar. (In your interaction with the car.)

It's not my daily driver, so I don't want something with a lot of torque that is on/off. . I wanted something that feels special and I can take on special drives and really rev out.

Now to find and stop those interior rattles over bumps by driving some more.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Maxf80M3
Boost Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 DCT

Congrats to the OP , I love my e93 too. Ive owned several e60, e46, e90 M cars and having the vert option is priceless. Driving with the top down and a full exhaust system is simply intoxicating / exotic. There's always performance upgrades that will compensate for the 400 extra lbs if you wish later on. Not sure why there's all the hate for the e93? I'm thankful bmw gave us this option, after all I'm on the street more then I'm on the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
Didn't want to put it up in the title, but it's an e93.

A little history - I owned a 335i sedan previously, and later chose an 09' PDK Boxster S over a similar M3.

Well, after getting rid of the Boxster and being a little while without a real performance car, I have decided to finally get the M3.

Initially I was going back and forth between an e92 or e90, all with DCT - as I know the e93 gets a performance penalty due to the weight, but after driving a lot of cars back to back, the surround sound of the e93 just won it for me, and honestly the performance was very close between them. (I'm not tracking the car, so hard to really feel the weight of the e93).

Plus, being winter, I got a really good deal on the convertible - the e90 and e92's were all several thousand dollars more for the similar specs.

Of course, I got a good warranty backed by Toyota as well, to cover the known issues like throttle actuators or the dreaded rod bearings problem, which I hope I never encounter.

It's Jerez Black with the Silver Novillo leather. It wasn't my first choice in interior color, as I preferred red or black, but the Silver Novillo has grown on me and I do like it.

The arm rest leather on the door has a little yellow discoloring - possible sun damage? Any idea if this can be fixed or polished out?

As for the drive, it's a blast. I already took it on a 2000 mile road trip the day I got it. Very explosive in M mode with everything turned up - really shifts aggressively and the car comes alive.

Believe it or not, I find the car a bit more exciting than the Boxster S that i had, which I felt the PDK was a little bit softer. The M3 is really electrifying, and the sound is amazing, especially with the top down. Handling wise, the Boxster was tighter, and both feel very stable at highway speeds and effortless. I had also considered and driven a few C63's, and while very fast - I was more intrigued and drawn to the M3's overall feeling of balance and more advanced technology. (M Mode, different settings, etc - I love that stuff more than the simpler C63's interface)

Very much enjoying it so far! Will try to get some better pictures as well.
Congrats! You mentioned the driver's door armrest being a bit weathered. Depending on the level of damage, you can have it essentially repainted and clear coated.

I had that done to my car on the armrest and driver's bolster, but ultimately I didn't like the results. I ended up buying new-ish front seats on this forum and a brand-new driver's door armrest.

The armrest was about $420 with mounting hardware, but totally worth it. I installed it myself in about 1 hour and it looks great.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride!
      02-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Zyrock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Your post sparked me to post on mine. It was awesome to hear other E93 owners talk about "coming to the light" hahaha.
Appreciate 0