Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Minimann
Private
Rep
Drives: Mineral white M4

Starting spotify from Bluetooth

Hey,

Got a 2017 M4 CP and I connect my phone via Bluetooth and the car registers the phone.

I physically then open spotify on my phone so the app is running. To actually start the song I have to press play on the app on my phone and then I can flick up and down on the songs.

However, once I open the app is there anyway I can get the start to start playing without me pressing play physically on my phone? Only ask as I have it in the arm rest and it autocorrect to the Bluetooth but everytime I need to press start by opening the app.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I also have '17 M4 and use spotify. Are you using iOS or Android?

Once I get in the car the phone automatically connects via bluetooth as it should. I also see spotify under the media section of the idrive. I can click on it and use the functionality without ever taking my phone out of my pocket or ever touching it.

I don't recall ever doing anything different to allow this to happen... I get new test phones, all apple with various software versions on them for testing and I always have to pair them to the car each time I get one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Minimann
Private
Rep

Thanks ks for the feedback.

I own a android (galaxy s7 edge). All I get under media is the phone and then forward, back or pause. I've got no spotify under the media section at all. Anyone know how to set this up?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I found a nexus 6 kicking around here, running android 7.0
I'll go pair it with the car and see what it does...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Google Nexus 6, running Android 7.0
Paired to the car from scratch. The phone paired fine, started the BMW Connected app to verify the connectivity.

Looks like Spotify is not a supported app for the car on android. I also could not see spotify in the BMW Connected app.

I had to start up the spotify app via the phone and start playing music. Then the car would see it as a regular bluetooh audio device.

After my quick test I would say the integration between Android and BMW is not that great, this is my first time ever pairing an android device with my car. Maybe someone else in this forum can chime in and offer some assistance as my exposure is very limited. Do you need to do any special tricks to make it work or is the integration just that clumsy?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Minimann
Private
Rep

Thanks for checking mate. I get the exact same and have to connect the same way. It is very clumsy! And you don't get through spotify functionality and ease.

I've searched spotify faq's and it appears they haven't developed the android functionality yet. Only on ios!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimann View Post
Thanks for checking mate. I get the exact same and have to connect the same way. It is very clumsy! And you don't get through spotify functionality and ease.

I've searched spotify faq's and it appears they haven't developed the android functionality yet. Only on ios!
You're welcome, no problem at all.
Hope they fix the integration for your sake and the rest of the andorid community.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
coagulase
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 AY MY17

Also connect your android via USB. Some apps only work when it's plugged in.
Appreciate 0