BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, M4, RRS Autobiography

GLE 63 s amg vs range rover sport autobiography

For those of you with the X5M, if you had to give up your car and pick one of those two which one would it be?

We are looking into buying a new SUV and honestly I would want a non bias answer so I posted here instead of the benz or rr forum.

I have driven the X5M before, and as much as I like it, this new suv would be for my mother in her 50's and from what I remember about the X5M, its ride was a bit harsh and a bit too sporty.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh1991 View Post
For those of you with the X5M, if you had to give up your car and pick one of those two which one would it be?

We are looking into buying a new SUV and honestly I would want a non bias answer so I posted here instead of the benz or rr forum.

I have driven the X5M before, and as much as I like it, this new suv would be for my mother in her 50's and from what I remember about the X5M, its ride was a bit harsh and a bit too sporty.

Thank you!
Sorry, can't help but laugh a little. I'm female and in my 50s....

Is she a car person? Does she want the HP of the M, or do you want her to have the M or AMG?

The F85 offer a softer and more refined ride than the previous M depending upon the settings. The MB is a cushy and floaty. Can't talk to the RR.

But again, what is she looking for? A sporty SUV, a powerful SUV, or a grocery getter that her son wants to enjoy. I think you need to answer that question first.

Good luck. And just because you're female and over fifty doesn't mean you want a boring car. I like the hard ride, sporty feel and 0-60
Appreciate 4
Kzang3240.00
nyalpine907433.00
d_v_o_1111.00
      01-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:

Thank you!
If you're wanting to compare ride quality - and in a non-discriminatory way based upon your mother's age - and steering wheel feel/ease/control, then Mercedes ("Merc") takes my vote over Range Rover ("RR") (especially the sport).

I've extensively driven both; and, also heard an earful from my similarly situated madre, that the ride is "rougher" in the RR. It's not that it's rough over bumps, it's less forgiving. Granted that the RR has adjustable ride height, and the interior finishes on an Autobiography will be much nicer, Merc has made significant strides in their suspension systems as of late. Specifically, to make the system inter-linking more forgiving.

Now that being said, you're debating between a Merc & a RR, and also the sport versions of each. You can't go wrong per se with either choice. Now, the steering.

I can't make out a discernible, or substantial, difference between either.

I like the RR in the sense that you still feel the "control of the road/vehicle", and also say to yourself "damn, this is one badass sport truck that can tread through 3ft of water without drowning the engine and...I can now sleep better at night knowing my mother will be safe during hurricane season along with ample grocery space in the back". (Added bonus points for the sexy growl it gives when starting up)

For the Merc, it's more like "butter". And the cabin space is a bit tighter feeling, although on paper the statistical difference is marginal. I do love the wood finishes of the vehicle, and the quality of the leather gives the vehicle an eclectic feel of luxury.

If it's your mother's DD, then go with the Merc. If it's primarily your car for you to drive; but, in actuality the vehicle is in bailment with your mother, then go with the RR and sleep soundly that with either choice, she's safe and can get from point A to B very, very, quickly if need be.

H
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
If you're wanting to compare ride quality - and in a non-discriminatory way based upon your mother's age - and steering wheel feel/ease/control, then Mercedes ("Merc") takes my vote over Range Rover ("RR") (especially the sport).

I've extensively driven both; and, also heard an earful from my similarly situated madre, that the ride is "rougher" in the RR. It's not that it's rough over bumps, it's less forgiving. Granted that the RR has adjustable ride height, and the interior finishes on an Autobiography will be much nicer, Merc has made significant strides in their suspension systems as of late. Specifically, to make the system inter-linking more forgiving.

Now that being said, you're debating between a Merc & a RR, and also the sport versions of each. You can't go wrong per se with either choice. Now, the steering.

I can't make out a discernible, or substantial, difference between either.

I like the RR in the sense that you still feel the "control of the road/vehicle", and also say to yourself "damn, this is one badass sport truck that can tread through 3ft of water without drowning the engine and...I can now sleep better at night knowing my mother will be safe during hurricane season along with ample grocery space in the back". (Added bonus points for the sexy growl it gives when starting up)

For the Merc, it's more like "butter". And the cabin space is a bit tighter feeling, although on paper the statistical difference is marginal. I do love the wood finishes of the vehicle, and the quality of the leather gives the vehicle an eclectic feel of luxury.

If it's your mother's DD, then go with the Merc. If it's primarily your car for you to drive; but, in actuality the vehicle is in bailment with your mother, then go with the RR and sleep soundly that with either choice, she's safe and can get from point A to B very, very, quickly if need be.

H
Wow that was very informative.
The SUV is for my mother to drive daily and this would have been an easy choice for her because she loves mercs but she has had 3 ML's before and wants a change... so the range rover is in contention just because of that. If the SUV was for me I would grab the X5M without skipping a beat.

I was wondering, do you feel like the autobiography is a bit more tame than the AMG? I am asking because technically the autobiography isn't even supposed to compete with the X5M , GLE AMG as far as I know (There is the SVR)

She pretty much wants another merc but wants a bit of a change then the regular ML but she just wants reassuring that it will still behave like an SUV and not some beastly race car lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Sorry, can't help but laugh a little. I'm female and in my 50s....

Is she a car person? Does she want the HP of the M, or do you want her to have the M or AMG?

The F85 offer a softer and more refined ride than the previous M depending upon the settings. The MB is a cushy and floaty. Can't talk to the RR.

But again, what is she looking for? A sporty SUV, a powerful SUV, or a grocery getter that her son wants to enjoy. I think you need to answer that question first.

Good luck. And just because you're female and over fifty doesn't mean you want a boring car. I like the hard ride, sporty feel and 0-60
Hahaha your post is quite funny as well. Sadly, my mother is not as cool as you, she does not appreciate fine cars and thinks of it more as a point a to b sort of thing. She wants another SUV but something a bit more unique than the every day base GLE, X5. Do you find that your X5M behaves like an SUV and is tame when you want it to be?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15762.50
      01-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

RE: "Tame"...negatory. If anything, the RR Sport is throaty, aggressive, and riddled with British Stylistic Elegance & Multi-Terrain capabilities. I find that a huge qualitative benefit in comparison to the Merc.

It's like comparing a Hugo Boss suit with a Ermenegildo Zegna suit -- they're both lavish, well built, and innovative; but, Zegna appeals to the newer generations.

Ok, so then you, at this point in the analysis, have two options:

1. take momma bear to the dealership and let her drive the range rover sport, and get a feel for the vehicle dynamics (no need for it to be a dynamic or autobiography because they simply come with more bells and whistles...see below) -- I suspect she will admire the change in aesthetics, feel, and cockpit layout; however, may conclude the ride is too firm for her, meridian sound system is mediocre (audiophile here), and the navigational UI is meh.

2. if #1's conclusion holds true, then go to the Merc dealer (across the street?), and put a deposit down for the GLE 63.

Other considerations coming across my mind:
1. Why not wait a bit longer for the x3m?
2. Why not consider the x6m (vs the GLE 63 amg s) for comparison purposes?
3. The RR full size might just be the sweet spot -- a bit more expensive though.
4. Tesla Model X might not be a bad route, and
5. Maserati Levante, albeit I don't vouch for it at all, may give momma bear a change -- if that is all she wants.

H

Additional Features of the Autobiography:
-825-watt, 19-speaker Meridian audio; 16-way power front seats; a heated steering wheel and rear seats; cooler; 21-inch wheels; blind-spot monitoring; and Reverse Traffic Detection

Quote:
Wow that was very informative.
The SUV is for my mother to drive daily and this would have been an easy choice for her because she loves mercs but she has had 3 ML's before and wants a change... so the range rover is in contention just because of that. If the SUV was for me I would grab the X5M without skipping a beat.

I was wondering, do you feel like the autobiography is a bit more tame than the AMG? I am asking because technically the autobiography isn't even supposed to compete with the X5M , GLE AMG as far as I know (There is the SVR)

She pretty much wants another merc but wants a bit of a change then the regular ML but she just wants reassuring that it will still behave like an SUV and not some beastly race car lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

I think the Jaguar looks cool. Too bad it wasn't faster. The speed of the Tesla is interesting. Too bad it wasn't more luxurious.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I cross shopped the RRS Autobiography. Two things stuck out to me: 1. Steering felt like it came off an 18-wheeler; 2. The technology was horrible. Ride might be marginally better than the F85.

Have you considered a loaded F15 (with DHP)?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
aparedes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

I haven't driven the RR Autobiography, just the regular RR Sport Supercharged. I feel the X5M/X6M are far superior in terms of driving dynamics and seems to be the general concern. I have driven the GLE Coupe and it is an amazing car. The Bimmer still far superior in driving dynamics. There are several articles and videos confirming such.

I am personally not a big fan of the RR Sport. I feel the interior is undone and does not compare to the Merc or Bimmer (on the M). I believe if size is not an issue the Merc could be a good fit, still offers the excitement of a sporty vehicle (not as fast as X5M and probably a more elegant experience inside, i also feel the Merc is gear more towards comfort . Keep in mind the the regular GLE will be updated soon, unless you are looking at the GLE Coupe. I know you mentioned you are not interested in a bimmer but my choice in order would be:

1) X5M/X6M (you are asking on a bimmer forum
2) GLE Coupe
3) RR Sport (Ideally the RR if budget is not an issue).

At the end you are buying an experience once you purchase a car, I would just take her and let her drive all 3 and choose what she likes best.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

The X5M is just another X5 when driving around town. Push a few buttons and it turns into the monster we all purchased. So if your looking for tame when you want it to be then yes it is tame. I should say the interior is no regular X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Hahaha your post is quite funny as well. Sadly, my mother is not as cool as you, she does not appreciate fine cars and thinks of it more as a point a to b sort of thing. She wants another SUV but something a bit more unique than the every day base GLE, X5. Do you find that your X5M behaves like an SUV and is tame when you want it to be?
I never want it to be tame I actually put in in comfort mode this morning for a very short period of time so I could respond. There is a very noticeable difference in the steering feel, but the suspension is still stiffer than the non Ms. The F15/16s have a softer ride. If she is looking for something "different" I would agree on the GLE Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

the above commentscould help you make your decision. My brother owns a GLE S 63 and rear view is just horrible and the car dimensions are weird
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M View Post
the above commentscould help you make your decision. My brother owns a GLE S 63 and rear view is just horrible and the car dimensions are weird
The outdated interior technology of RR is a show stopper. There are very many other cushy SUVs there with better tech and quality including ones from Lexus and GMC (I was in one yesterday and was surprised how comfortable it was)
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
I cross shopped the RRS Autobiography. Two things stuck out to me: 1. Steering felt like it came off an 18-wheeler; 2. The technology was horrible. Ride might be marginally better than the F85.

Have you considered a loaded F15 (with DHP)?
I owned a RRS Dynamic before my X5M. Only had it for a year and traded it for the X5M for the below reasons.

1. The tech was so bad as to be borderline unusable. The digital dash shut off randomly while driving. Almost everything has to be done through the main screen which had a horrible lag to the touch. Also had to have it flat bedded or of my garage because a software bug they didn't diagnose caused the truck to not sleep while locked and drained the battery.

2. The navigation system itself was unusable. Traffic data was always out of date. Voice recognition was so bad it wasn't usable. His led to having to punch locations in manually which led to more frustration on the screen lag. Lastly, Range Rover didn't offer any internet connection service in the vehicle in the 2015 model year so the POI database was static and or of date from the day I took delivery.

The good is the level of luxury in the range rover is unmatched in almost any other SUV save the Bentley. The leather is opulent, covers almost every surface. The stance of the truck is eye popping (especially with 22s). And the sound of the V8 is the best of any SUV on the market.
      01-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I drive a x5m. My wife drives a RR sport supercharged 2015. I have owned a ml63 before they changed it to a gle63.

My wife loves her RR. Her second one and no mother or mom will not be happy with one. Super comfortable and cushy. I disagree with most and that the interior quality is inferior. I think it's much nicer than the date MB. Tech on the other hand is not par with BMW not even close. The rear view camera is like ultra low defentiton and a joke. Nav is acceptable and sound system if you upgrade is far superior than my BO.

The MB tech has always been behind and one of my biggest complaints. Also the interior finishes are satisfactory. Beside the seats there is nothing special in the interior.

In my area most women drive some type of RR. The price point for a fully loaded RR sport SC is around 15-20k cheaper than a X5m with "similar performance" based on the driver needs.

When my wife drives my car she thinks it's slower than her RR. Take in mind she never takes the care past 3k rpm so doesn't really feel the turbos kick in where in her SC POWER comes in earlier
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
jjt4806
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535xi

I'll go back to a couple things that were glossed over above:

1) Is this going to be driven year round? I noticed your in Canada. If yes (all year) you'd better think long and hard about trying to find all season tires. The X5M/X6M are not well suited for cold weather/icy/snowy conditions. An X5 M-Sport would be a far better choice. I'm going to venture a guess that your mother really doesn't care so much for the extra power and other RACING components on the M's.

2) If you want your mother to trust you for future items - pick based on her needs and desires, not yours. I quote from your earlier post
Quote:
"she does not appreciate fine cars and thinks of it more as a point a to b sort of thing"
That tells me that your looking at completely wrong vehicles. She wants something she can trust, not something that will do 0-60 in 4 sec.

I'd highly recommend looking at the Land Rover LR series. Fantastic vehicle for all weather conditions. More room than the RR series. Easy to fit normal AT (All Terrain) tires. And IMHO, a much better looking rig than the RR.

The other choice not mentioned is the Cayenne - I would probably have bought one of those instead of the M, but they are butt ugly to me, and I just couldnt get by that.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #17
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

2017 AMG GLS63

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #18
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

I 2nd the LR4. It's a beaut. And, comes with a hideaway (dedicated) 3rd row that seats 2 adults comfortably.

As for the Cayenne, it's scheduled for a remodel reflecting the tech package the new Panemera just came out with. OOooOo, that sexy hide-away spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt4806 View Post

I'd highly recommend looking at the Land Rover LR series. Fantastic vehicle for all weather conditions. More room than the RR series. Easy to fit normal AT (All Terrain) tires. And IMHO, a much better looking rig than the RR.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #19
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

I had an X5M and a LWB RR and if I wanted an everyday cruiser, it would be the RR (I prefer the full size over the sport unless its an SVR).

If I were to buy the X5M again vs the GLE63, I would pick the GLE. The X5M is faster, but BMW quality is not there at all. I got a w212 E63S to replace the X5M, and even though the tech is old, the quality is way better than my last two BMW's.

I would get the new Discovery though if your wife doesn't care about sheer speed. It is super nice and comfy.

Last edited by m34SPD; 01-30-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #20
DeeteeM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6m

I have a RRS Autobiography
Hands down more comfortable and stylish than my X6M.

I went for the full size RR and didn't like the ride height and steering. The RRS is the ultimate SUV.
Attached Images

Last edited by DeeteeM; 02-04-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0