Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
vanm3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Dashcam question...

I have a blacksys 2ch that I had on my old 4series and want to install it on my f80...

I heard if I use the multisafer kit for install it would get rid of comfort access? Is this true??

They say for f80/82 we need a extra battery to support the dashcam to not interfere with the comfort access system...

Let me know if anyone ahs any idea about this...
      01-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

That's not true, your dash cam won't impact your comfort access or vice versa. Your f8x is really no different than your previous 4 series in this regard.

The multi saver is just used to help prevent your car battery from discharging if you use the parking mode, motion activated mode etc... Features used when the car is not running. The multi saver allows these modes to work but also monitors the battery voltage and will kill the power to the dash cam once a user defined threshold is hit.

If you were happy with the way it worked on your previous car then hook it up the same way on your new f8x. Starts recording when you activate the ignition and stops recording when you power off the car or shortly after depending on what you decide to tap for power. I'm going to assume this is how it worked in your 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijiue View Post
I have a blacksys 2ch that I had on my old 4series and want to install it on my f80...

I heard if I use the multisafer kit for install it would get rid of comfort access? Is this true??

They say for f80/82 we need a extra battery to support the dashcam to not interfere with the comfort access system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
That's not true, your dash cam won't impact your comfort access or vice versa. Your f8x is really no different than your previous 4 series in this regard.

The multi saver is just used to help prevent your car battery from discharging if you use the parking mode, motion activated mode etc... Features used when the car is not running. The multi saver allows these modes to work but also monitors the battery voltage and will kill the power to the dash cam once a user defined threshold is hit.

If you were happy with the way it worked on your previous car then hook it up the same way on your new f8x. Starts recording when you activate the ignition and stops recording when you power off the car or shortly after depending on what you decide to tap for power. I'm going to assume this is how it worked in your 4 series.
Both of these are not necessarily true.

The multi saver won't "get rid" of your Comfort Access. However, when the car senses that the battery is being drained, it will disable nonessential functions like Comfort Access.

If the multi saver is only sucking power from the battery for an hour or so, nothing will happen. However, if the multi saver drains power for longer (like overnight), your Comfort Access will indeed be disabled in the morning. You will also get a warning on iDrive complaining about something draining your battery.

The 4 series battery is NOT the same as the M3/M4 battery.

I recently bought a Cellink B (gen2) and it solved all of those battery draining and Comfort Access issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
vanm3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post

The multi saver won't "get rid" of your Comfort Access. However, when the car senses that the battery is being drained, it will disable nonessential functions like Comfort Access.

If the multi saver is only sucking power from the battery for an hour or so, nothing will happen. However, if the multi saver drains power for longer (like overnight), your Comfort Access will indeed be disabled in the morning. You will also get a warning on iDrive complaining about something draining your battery.

I recently bought a Cellink B (gen2) and it solved all of those battery draining and Comfort Access issues.
Yea..this is exactly what I heard...

Where did you get your battery and how much? Local business was asking 270$ for it
      01-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:

I agree with what you are saying. I guess we don't know what the OP's use case is on how they want the camera to behave. Simple start / start recording with car on off or using all the park modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

Where did you get your battery and how much? Local business was asking 270$ for it
$214.99 with free shipping right now at Blackboxmycar dot com. That's where I got it.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...link-battery-b
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
vanm3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

$214.99 with free shipping right now at Blackboxmycar dot com. That's where I got it.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...link-battery-b
Awesome thanks for the help
      01-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Can't second this enough. I originally had my thinkware f770 hard wired without any battery backup and if my car was parked longer than around 12 hours or so then comfort access was disabled and I would have the battery warning. Since I've gotten the Cellink B I haven't had an issue. My commute to work is more than enough to keep it charged (55 miles). The guys from blackboxmycar.com are great

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Not sure if this is related but I use a Power Magic Pro on my car set to shut the dash cam off after 8 hours. I find if I leave the car for more than 24 hours, the kick to open trunk feature doesn't work. Comfort access for the doors still works.

If it's less than 24 hours, the kick to open trunk works.
Appreciate 0