BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
M3 support group for waiting on new car - Warning: War and Peace length

Hi all,

So I think I have read every single post on here to try to get my fix while I wait for my new M3 Coupe to be built. Anyone know if there is some sort of group like AA or maybe some drug to counteract my total lack of patience

BTW - I apologize in advance for the length of this post - I think I just want to get this out there and hope it slows my obsession down

The Backstory

For those who are interested. I have owned an M3 (2003) in the past and loved it. Then I got a 2005 Porsche 911S (997S) and I really love it.

So you might ask, what prompted the switch? Well, for one the warranty is running out on the Porsche, so that seemed like a good excuse. And perhaps the most trivial reason to switch on a sports car - I want iPod/iPhone integration!!! The after market options on the Porsche didn't do much for me.

What happened next? I hear about this new BMW 135i. I think to myself, that is a pretty decent car on paper and might be a fun switch. So I take myself down to the dealership and I test drive a 6MT 135i. And let me say this - that is an amazing car. Acceleration & handling impressed me a lot. Honestly, while my 911 still had the upper hand, I thought the value proposition on the 135i was great. Didn't think I would have a problem trying that out, so I put down my deposit and got my order in for a 135i. But as I am leaving the dealership that day, I catch a glimpse of an 08 M3 on the lot. The aggressive hood caught my eye. But I felt good with the 135i and headed on home.

It took about a week to get my production number, I wasn't really that concerned, didn't care too much about when it would be done. But I did keep looking at my Porsche and thinking, "I am going to miss this car." The 135i would be fun, and the cost is more practical, and I get my iPod integration, so I am feeling smart about my choice.

The Switch

Then slowly that glimpse of the M3 kept haunting me. I began to read about it online. Of course, opinions are like a**holes as the saying goes, and you can find any slant on the car you want to agree with. And the 1 series boards were touting how great the 135i is compared to the M3s they test drove, so I kept on thinking I am content.

Then something finally snapped inside and looked online at my dealership's site and they had an M3 coupe on the lot. I decided to ping my CA the next morning and see if it was available. It was. Seemed like the right color option combo on their website, so I decided to go check it out (knowing full well that I would buy it).

Took my significant other with me so I wouldn't be locked out of the house if I brought home a new car. The M3 (Sparkling Graphite Metallic, which I like) looks beautiful. But it is fully loaded and the price doesn't match what my CA told me earlier. Then I glance over and see a 4 dour M3 in the same color with less options and I realize he and I have had communication break down. The coupe was already sold, the sedan is for sale. This was a bummer.

Good news was my SO liked the M3 Coupe better than the 135i, and I made my decision. We switched my order and due to some luck, a CA eager to get a commission, or something - I got an immediate slot for my order.

The Drive

Two days later (yesterday) I go back to test drive the car. Whoa! When people say this is a beast, they are not kidding. I have not been intimidated by a car in a while. This M3 actually scared me a little at first (the CA had put it in M drive to start me out).

First, this is not a Porsche. But that is not a bad thing. Different cars, different feel. The V8 is powerful. As some have commented it doesn't necessarily throw you back in your seat, it seems to take you into its acceleration with more consistency and thus gives an impression it is not as quick. But it is. You soon realize you are pinned to your seat, it just snuck up on you.

Second, coming from my previous two sports cars, the M3 feels big. This worried me a little until I started throwing it into some aggressive curves with some speed. The car stuck to the road and inspired confidence. And with the bigger feel I actually get a nice side benefit - MORE SPACE. I love my 911 and it is my primary car. However, there have been many times when I have more than 2 people that I want to take in the car with me, and that is pretty much a no-go. The back seats in the M3 are actually usable. For me this is a good thing.

Also, the clutch is crazy different coming from the Porsche. The M3 was so soft, I was constantly scared I would stall (I had one rough start from a stop light, but I kept it alive). Not too worried about this though, I seem to remember my previous M3 being softer than the Porsche too.

Acceleration was great overall, but I didn't feel like I got much punch in 1st gear (standard drive mode), but I think with time and perhaps tweaking the M-drive I might be able to overcome this. Second gear had a much better feel and I had the power I wanted there. Anyone else have a comment on 1st gear torque/acceleration?

I left the test drive still feeling a little shaky (too much caffeine plus a dose of adrenaline), but I really liked it.

The Wait

So now my car is ordered and is in status 112. Unlike when I had the 135i on order, I am now impatient beyond belief. I WANT this car. I am EXCITED about this car. And the Porsche, still going to miss it, but not too much anymore.

Thanks for your attention (you deserve an award if you made it to the end).

Cheers.

Last edited by HeadOn; 04-26-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Ok, where's my award?

Glad to hear from those that have experienced the 135 and the 997S. Good luck finding the support group. Cheers.
      04-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

nice to hear your impressions...doesn't austin have like 4 coupes in stock? or are you looking for a certain color/dct?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajj View Post
nice to hear your impressions...doesn't austin have like 4 coupes in stock? or are you looking for a certain color/dct?
Thanks.

They have a couple, not sure if they are dealer/demo units. But, yeah I wanted to get the Spark. Graphite Metallic with 6MT and the options loaded up the way I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
asaulo1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

good story... funny thing is, I, too, started out ordering a 135i when all of a sudden, they announced what the prices were going to be for the M3. lo and behold, after consulting with my finance manager ( my wife ) we had a go ahead.... and so the story goes, my M3 is stuck on a ship named madame butterfly which is taking its sweet damn time getting to So. Cal.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I picked up my AW M3 Coupe this past Saturday at the Austin dealership and I did see both the coupe and the sedan in Sparkling Graphite Metallic. The CA told me the coupe was sold but the sedan was for sale so your story checks out. ;-) If you have a slot then it won't take long buddy. My car went into production March 10th and and I took delivery April 12th. Hope to see you on the road soon!

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

LOL nice story. Good to have a SO who is understanding when you drop $70K on a car.

I can understand the ipod/usb/bluetooth etc. as well. I have a S2000 and it's nice and fun but compared to todays cars it's like Fred Flinstone car well it's got a CD player but I can bearly hear it.

I was hesatant about spending so much on the M3, and I also heard so much about the 135i (how some are calling it the poor man's M3)

I didn't drive the 135i so I can't really say, but just the idea in the back of my head poor man's anything kind of makes me as I can afford the M3 and I've been waiting all my life to buy something like the M3 also I know the M3 is nicer all around and I'm getting the DCT so that's like the cherry on top of the cake (hopefully).

Well I'm also waiting, but you lucky dog I'm still 111 order status so I'm waiting a while yet. Don't know when I will be 112 either.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Congrats, great choice.

I really liked reading your review... especially your comments on the 135i. Very happy to hear a 911 owner calling it "amazing"!
      04-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Welcome.
Don't feel badly. This site is filled with head cases waiting for their cars.

Like me, for instance.
      04-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
First, thank you all for taking the time to read my post.

asaulo1, rai, and Epacy - our first group therapy session will be tomorrow night Glad to hear I am in good company.

Hans - thank you for your comment. I am not at all hesitant singing the praises of the 135i (nor the M3 for that matter). I have to say, for those looking at BMWs it seems to be a great time, there are a lot of great choices, and the only real challenge is deciding what fits you best as a driver and consumer. That is a great problem to have as a buyer.

Davinhci - LOL! Thanks for backing me up on my story! I actually saw the AW M3 at the dealer when I was in earlier last week. Gorgeous car!! I think yours is the one I saw that caught my eye as I left the dealership after ordering the 135i. So it is all your fault!! I definitely hope to see you around.

Thanks again all.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

That was not war and peace more like a short script. Anyway I think your writting is really great. You should actually consider writting a novel.

no no smilie I am not being sarcastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Love your story. I also owned an o3 M3 and loved it. Then an 06 550 and liked it. Now an 07 tuned 335 and love it. I got a call from my one time SA (now sales manager) to come and test drive the new M3. He has told me a number of times that I would be getting one, and each time I told him no. I didn't want a first year car with new engine and new transmsission, and I love my torque laden massively rapid coilovered tuned 335 blah blah blah. Well I took a test drive. I informed my significant other that I had test drove the new M3 and it was really nice, and she would like it because unlike the e46 M3 it is actually a comfortable ride. My wife's response was "Well, when are you going to get it." I took that as approval and 3 test drives later I have one on order and just hope it is not delayed due to the DCT shortage. Scheduled for week 19 so hopefully mid June.
      04-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
That was not war and peace more like a short script. Anyway I think your writting is really great. You should actually consider writting a novel.

no no smilie I am not being sarcastic.
Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

war and peace is like 900+ pages. (that would be like the e-bay M3 thread)

While you're waiting, might be a good idea to read: Moby Dick

not that it has anything to do with the M3 but IMO it's the single best book I have read. It's like the M3 in a way that not everyone 'gets it' but those that do should really enjoy the heck out of it.

Besides which it will kill some time while the M3 is on order.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Bama M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Z4 28i

Good job. Very well written indeed!
Appreciate 0