BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Battery warning

Jumped in my car this afternoon to turn on the radio while i finished up some detailing. Got a Battery Level Low warning.

Haven't driven the car in 4 days because i've been detailing it (didnt want to rewash between coats). But i've had my key in my pocket most of the time - anytime i went over the door handles - the car would lock/unlock.

Haven't been listening to the radio at all though and no excessive battery usage.

Strange.. guess having the key in your pocket and being around the car for long periods of time is a drain on the battery.

Just a warning - probably an extreme situation but for those who dont daily drive - be careful!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Was the warning about your key or "Excessive battery drain."

The latter message is a well known issue with the '07 and later X5s. There is a SIB out that requires a software fix.

I brought my X5 in last week to have this done after getting the battery drain warning. They determined that my software was up to date but that I don't drive it long enough (mostly city driving) routinely to bring the charge up. They recommend at least one long drive (>30 min) every week and gave me a charger to use once every two weeks if I don't do the long drive. The charger plugs into your 12V and recharges the battery from a wall outlet.

I asked them if this is for all recent BMWs - the SA said that all new BMWs behave this way.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep

The warning was definitely about the car's battery. A big yellow battery symbol appeared on the light panel on the driver side.

Sounds like a similar issue. I dont anticipate having a lot of situations like this, but since I'll be alternating between two cars I suppose its a possibility.

If it happens again I'll see if i can get one of those wall chargers.

It'd be strange to have to "recharge" you car overnight.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Sadly, this could be yet another sign (I just read a couple other elsewhere in the forum) of the 335's fuel pump issue showing up in the M3. My car had the light turn on as well...turned out it was an fp issue that was making the car think the battery was low. First sign of a long crank and take her in to get checked out.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

A lot of cars now a days are very sensible to battery drainage. Many will just cut the battery until you turn the engine on back again.
You don't have to have the radio on to be draining the battery. Just by having the car open you can be draining the battery (accessory systems stay on).

Did you had the car open when you were detailing the car?

Don't know if the new BMW's have a special system, but many modern cars just cut the power until you turn the engine back on (a.k.a. battery saver mode, energy saver mode, etc...)

Maybe that light is indicating that the system went off. (if "basic" brands have it, I'm sure BMW does equip their cars with it).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
A lot of cars now a days are very sensible to battery drainage. Many will just cut the battery until you turn the engine on back again.
You don't have to have the radio on to be draining the battery. Just by having the car open you can be draining the battery (accessory systems stay on).

Did you had the car open when you were detailing the car?

Don't know if the new BMW's have a special system, but many modern cars just cut the power until you turn the engine back on (a.k.a. battery saver mode, energy saver mode, etc...)

Maybe that light is indicating that the system went off. (if "basic" brands have it, I'm sure BMW does equip their cars with it).
Well I considered the obvious possibilities 1) doors/interior lights - but i didn't open the car door more than 1-2 times and for less than 5 mins each time. 2) Checked to see if the outside air circ was on - but nope.. didn't have that on. Not set in the iDrive.

Going on an hour trip up to SF tonight so that should give it plenty of time to recharge. If it happens again - you guys will be the first to know!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Sounds like it is the same issue. It is true that it seems to happen if I go away for a few days and don't drive it. I read on the X5world forum that the systems periodically "wake up" and this causes some battery drain. I don't know if I believe it but then again I am surprised to have a battery charger in my possession with instructions from the dealer to plug my car in.

I suppose this is the first step to an electric car!
Appreciate 0