EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

iDrive 5.0 Glitching w/ iPod?

I use an iPod Classic (the last gen they made before discontinuing) in my car for music. With the previous generation of iDrive, it worked fairly well most of the time, barring the occasional spontaneous restarts. With iDrive 5.0, it's been terrible. The iPod is recognized and will play through my library of songs, but if I select a song via playlists or audio command, it will glitch out and keep repeating the first few seconds over and over. Exiting USB music and going to satellite radio for a while seems to unfreeze it eventually, but the limited capabilities are frustrating.

Has anyone experienced something similar? If not, do you have a recommendation for an iTunes-compatible device that will play nicely with iDrive 5.0? Carrying over my playlists and info from iTunes is important to me, but functionality beyond that doesn't matter much as it will be a car-only device.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

i've had similar issues with my iPhone. connected via bluetooth and will glitch every now and then and not stream my music. i wonder if theres some kind of update for iDrive 5.0
      01-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
I use an iPod Classic (the last gen they made before discontinuing) in my car for music. With the previous generation of iDrive, it worked fairly well most of the time, barring the occasional spontaneous restarts. With iDrive 5.0, it's been terrible. The iPod is recognized and will play through my library of songs, but if I select a song via playlists or audio command, it will glitch out and keep repeating the first few seconds over and over. Exiting USB music and going to satellite radio for a while seems to unfreeze it eventually, but the limited capabilities are frustrating.

Has anyone experienced something similar? If not, do you have a recommendation for an iTunes-compatible device that will play nicely with iDrive 5.0? Carrying over my playlists and info from iTunes is important to me, but functionality beyond that doesn't matter much as it will be a car-only device.
Yes I have been having that problem but eventually it plays the song in its entirety. When selecting if I take my time going from artist to album to song it seems to help. It is as if it is loading the music into memory or something.
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      01-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Pick up a iPod nano! No troubles here and they are cheap. I just leave mine in the car.
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      01-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Pick up a iPod nano! No troubles here and they are cheap. I just leave mine in the car.
Thank you! The only thing is I think I'll have a storage size issue - they're limited to 16GB if I recall. I've got around 60.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep

Having the same issue. Again seems to help if I take my time selecting artist, album and then song.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep

Decided the easiest is to transfer music to a 128gb flash drive. That seems to work fine.
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      01-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppendyck View Post
Decided the easiest is to transfer music to a 128gb flash drive. That seems to work fine.
I have a spare iPhone - decided to load that up and use it as a car-only music device via USB. The only nag with the drive is that it's just not as seamless with iTunes, and I update my library constantly.
Appreciate 0