EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
sjuhawks19
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

New M3 owner - have a few questions

Hi all, just picked up a 2017 M3 (black sapphire with golden brown full leather interior, LED package, executive package, dual clutch auto, 19" black wheels, black grille) and I have a few questions that I haven't been able to solve either by trial and error, reading the manual, or searching online. Hopefully you guys can help.

1 - Is there a way to not have to pull the door handle from inside the car twice just to get out? I want to only pull the door handle once.

2 - When I start the car up it always shows me some caution screen and then asks me which profile I want to use. Can I disable that?

3 - I thought the profiles were tied to the key I am using, is that not correct? I was hoping when I got in with the one key that it would know it was me and apply those settings automatically.

4 - My old 3rd generation Ipod video does not seem to work when plugged into the USB. I tried both cables that I have and both USB ports in the car, but it just keeps saying "loading" on the screen and nothing ever comes up. I read others had a similar problem. Can anyone confirm that this indeed will not work? If so, will a current generation Nano work?

Quick pic below of the car when I picked it up. I'll get some shots of the interior over the next day or so as well and post them, the golden brown is gorgeous.

Thanks!

Appreciate 1
davem3fan185.50
      12-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

1.) Only if you set the doors not to lock while driving, to my knowledge.

2.) This can be removed with coding.

3.) It typically does, but in my experience, this is a less than perfect thing. I've noticed it seems to have difficulty if you've had both keys in the car at once. Sometimes I unlock with my key and it adjusts my seat automatically. Other times it doesn't. Who knows.

4.) I use an iPod Classic from the last couple generations with no issue. Not sure how old the one you're trying is, but I'd think any current generation would be fine.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
MishaTheBear
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

for #2, you can uncheck the box under your driver profiles that indicates it will ask upon start up
Appreciate 3
      12-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaTheBear View Post
for #2, you can uncheck the box under your driver profiles that indicates it will ask upon start up
Sorry - yes this is right, I meant the warning screen could be disabled through coding, didn't see the question about profiles.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuhawks19 View Post

1 - Is there a way to not have to pull the door handle from inside the car twice just to get out? I want to only pull the door handle once.

Can be done through coding while still keeping the auto-lock feature
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Hi all, just picked up a 2017 M3 (black sapphire with golden brown full leather interior, LED package, executive package, dual clutch auto, 19" black wheels, black grille) and I have a few questions that I haven't been able to solve either by trial and error, reading the manual, or searching online. Hopefully you guys can help.

2 - When I start the car up it always shows me some caution screen and then asks me which profile I want to use. Can I disable that?

3 - I thought the profiles were tied to the key I am using, is that not correct? I was hoping when I got in with the one key that it would know it was me and apply those settings automatically.

4 - My old 3rd generation Ipod video does not seem to work when plugged into the USB. I tried both cables that I have and both USB ports in the car, but it just keeps saying "loading" on the screen and nothing ever comes up. I read others had a similar problem. Can anyone confirm that this indeed will not work? If so, will a current generation Nano work?

Quick pic below of the car when I picked it up. I'll get some shots of the interior over the next day or so as well and post them, the golden brown is gorgeous.

Thanks!

1) don't set the auto lock while driving because then, you will have to pull the handle the first time to unlock, then pull it again to open. working as intended. I have the auto lock feature off

2) never happens to me, in the iDrive profile options, there is an option to activate the respective profile according to the key you open the car with

3) see answer #2

4) Don't use iPods, just a USB stick with all my MP3s on it
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
sjuhawks19
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Thanks guys, the fix worked for number 1 already. Will try and fix numbers 2 and 3 as well today with your suggestions. I bought an ipod nano today, hopefully that works. My other ipod was about 15 years old, so I can't really blame BMW if it doesn't work in there now.
Appreciate 1
davem3fan185.50
      12-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Thanks guys, the fix worked for number 1 already. Will try and fix numbers 2 and 3 as well today with your suggestions. I bought an ipod nano today, hopefully that works. My other ipod was about 15 years old, so I can't really blame BMW if it doesn't work in there now.
As for #3. I would believe you have to "SET" a profile in the seat for it to actually recognize you. Otherwise why would it remember you if there is nothing to refer to. But in the manual it states that the car should remember the last position of the key, if "last seat position autom" is indeed selected (Settings - Door/Key - Last Seat Position Autom).

And with your car not recognizing the 2nd key I would think the same principles would apply as long as you don't carry both keys together.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Congrats on the car.

1. It can be coded out so that doors unlock when you turn off the engine
2. Legal disclaimers can be coded out as well

4. Just load your music to a usb stick and play it from there. You can also play videos from a usb (might need to be coded)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
FAST FRED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Congrats,
I have a similar M3 but with the black interior.
      12-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

1 - I tend to just hit the unlock button often (especially when I have passengers). It's not any faster for me as the driver, but others seem baffled by the two pull deal. I often have my laptop in the back seat so it's a bit of a habit for me to unlock it that way for all the doors. Others have mentioned how to get around this but coding or changing your habits (or not setting the doors to auto lock) seems to be the way around this. Nothing you can do about it once the door is locked though, pull twice or hit the unlock button.

2 - This is a safety setting. Coding can disable it but not through normal BMW settings.

3 - Try getting your settings the way you want them and exiting your car and locking it with the FOB. Not 100% sure if this will work but that is what I was told by the Genius when I got my car, that the car would pair settings to FOB once you locked the car using the FOB. Worth a shot. Worked on mine at least, but I only use one key.

4 - I have the same ipod issue. Worked fine in my F30, but I get loading to no end on my F80. It seems to recognize it as an ipod and has the 'name', etc, but never actually loads. Pretty weird that it would no longer be compatible given it worked fine in my F30. As you mentioned, these things are old I suppose, mine was purchased in 2006.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
You have a 15 year old iPod??? Woah Nelly!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Congrats on the car.

1. It can be coded out so that doors unlock when you turn off the engine
2. Legal disclaimers can be coded out as well

4. Just load your music to a usb stick and play it from there. You can also play videos from a usb (might need to be coded)
Are you able to have playlists/any kind of iTunes sync with a USB stick? Or is it just loading the songs?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
Are you able to have playlists/any kind of iTunes sync with a USB stick? Or is it just loading the songs?
There is a playlist function in idrive but I never used it. However, I just found a great guide on how to set up USB with album art and playlists:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=962767

Also, you can watch videos via USB (needs to be set to active via coding) or play DVD movies
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      01-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
There is a playlist function in idrive but I never used it. However, I just found a great guide on how to set up USB with album art and playlists:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=962767

Also, you can watch videos via USB (needs to be set to active via coding) or play DVD movies
Thank you!
Appreciate 0