BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Adding subwoofer?

we like bass more then car alone car provide anyone add a 10inch woofer to add a deeper richer hard hitting tone. Needs to be easily removed, work with the stock system. smaller custom enclosure in the rear? if replacing the existing woofers will do it thats fine too. maybe the BAV system upgrade?

Last edited by infamousdiz; 12-15-2016 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
we like bass more then car alone car provide anyone add a 10inch woofer to add a deeper richer hard hitting tone. Needs to be easily removed, work with the stock system. smaller custom enclosure in the rear? if replacing the existing woofers will do it thats fine too. maybe the BAV system upgrade?
There's a thread somewhere here from a member that installed a cabinet in the trunk. It seemed pretty straightforward and he also seemed happy camper.

I replaced the subs with the Bavsound ones and in most instances they are enough, however it wouldn't hurt to go a bit lower. I may do it at some point.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
There's a thread somewhere here from a member that installed a cabinet in the trunk. It seemed pretty straightforward and he also seemed happy camper.

I replaced the subs with the Bavsound ones and in most instances they are enough, however it wouldn't hurt to go a bit lower. I may do it at some point.
You know what I mean I want a hard punch and deep, could adding an amp to the bav subs make that happen?
      12-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

I replaced the OEM amp with the Audiotec Fischer PP-82DSP amplifier which drives the Ghost subs and the focal mids and tweeters inside the doors. Seems to have plenty of power for that. If decided to add another 10" or 12" sub it would be a powered one so I don't have to install an additional amplifier for it and would feed it from the line outs of the Audiotec.

This combination is adequate, but it is not crazy deep. This is a chart of the RTA I got from one of the Ghosts after a tuning pass I did. As you can see it apparently has enough energy between 40Hz and 80Hz, but the power delivery is still characteristic of an 8" sub as it does not move as much air as a bigger driver.

I also wanted to set the low pass to roll before 100Hz but with the soundwaves bouncing all over the SUV interior I decided to leave it alone for now and do another crossover adjustment later down the road as it sounds pretty good now and it would just be nitpicking.

If you want some hard deep ass kicking soul shaking punch you're gonna have to go bigger and add a box in the trunk of the car. The good thing is that those enclosures are easy to pull out if you need the space to load something big.

For my needs this worked well, take a look at the frequency overlap with the front left and you'll see it fills the frequency range quite nicely.

In my case I trimmed the subs a little more as with the windows rolled up there was too much energy buildup and it was bothering my ears.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

JL Stealthbox really fixed my quest for BASS with the E70 Dirac (Enhanced audio). Aux battery in the F15/85 trunk so it won't fit. I think a JL TW5 thin subwoofer in a very thin box would be a great substitute. Trick is just finding the right harness wires to tap into the under-seat subs. With the old Dirac system the OEM amp was the same across all cars from the E90 M3 to the X5M, so there were a few plug and play options. Have not found one for the F15/85. The B&O system could use much more bass IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

I had a custom JL Audio 13" sub installed where the spare was located in a prior X6. It is completely stealth with floorboard lowered. My wife has a '16 X6M and it appears this area is nearly identical if you get rid of the spare. I enjoy R&B, it hit pretty hard.

Here are some pics... (the bass control was built into ashtray in center console... the other remote to the right of the knob was for integrated 9500 radar/jammer)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Warehouser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X5M TBlue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6Hawkeye View Post

Here are some pics... (the bass control was built into ashtray in center console... the other remote to the right of the knob was for integrated 9500 radar/jammer)
Can you tell me exactly where you tapped your signal from? If at the amp, which wires were used?

Thanks!
      12-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x6Hawkeye View Post

Can you tell me exactly where you tapped your signal from? If at the amp, which wires were used?

Thanks!
Sorry, had it professionally installed and don't have the answer.
Appreciate 1