BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

Cold weather right pressure?

Hello, what should be the right psi on stock m3 e92 wheels during cold weather? Its about 29 degrees freezing here in VA and its showing low tire pressure. Stock showing 33 front and 35 rear. But not sure what should be for cold weather!?
Appreciate 1
hotbmwfan108.00
      12-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Air pressure generally should be kept the same regardless of outddoor temp.

Given that, cold weather will cause your tire pressure to decrease so you normally have to add air to bring it back up to normal pressure in the winter. This doesn't mean that you run different pressure because its cold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteM3 View Post
Hello, what should be the right psi on stock m3 e92 wheels during cold weather? Its about 29 degrees freezing here in VA and its showing low tire pressure. Stock showing 33 front and 35 rear. But not sure what should be for cold weather!?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i don't have to deal with this [california], but i probably wouldn't mess with your tire pressure. our temperature range in socal is about 33-90* depending on the time of year. in the winter, we get tpms errors as well. just took a call from my girlfriend asking about her tpms light today, actually. tpms isn't perfect and occasionally puts up false errors when it is cold. they aren't actually false, because although you don't have a leak, your tire pressure is fluctuating a little bit.
here is why i would keep it the same, when tire pressure is lower, your tire's contact patch is more flat, which means more grip in snow/ice conditions. too little pressure isn't good though, as it wears on your sidewalls. so, check your pressures from each of your tires from time to time to make sure you didn't pickup a nail, but i would probably keep it the same.
      12-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
ajee622
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93 m3

i usually run 38 psi all around, all year. i actually just got the warning light and filled up with air.

i'm sure it's just due to the cold weather....
Appreciate 0