European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Advantage to "premium" downpipes

Are there any advantages to any of the premium downpipes like an Akrapovic versus going with something like a Maximum PSI downpipe?

Are there actual noticeable sound differences between the various companies?

I'm not too concerned with sound and want to do this solely as a companion to a tune for power gains, but if there are sound advantages with a certain brand I'll consider it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

PM Sent
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

I PM'd you asking what he PM'd you. PM me back.
Appreciate 3
f8xdct158.00
AYF8080.50
      11-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
There's generally a pretty hefty markup placed on BMW parts let alone M parts. There's nothing in a $2000 downpipe that isn't available in a $500 downpipe (from a reputable brand) except the name.
Appreciate 3
Fugazii234.50
EALm43347.50
      12-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Are there any advantages to any of the premium downpipes like an Akrapovic versus going with something like a Maximum PSI downpipe?

I'm not too concerned with sound and want to do this solely as a companion to a tune for power gains, but if there are sound advantages with a certain brand I'll consider it.

Thanks
IMO no. As long as the welds aren't busted, shitty or material paper thin.... shouldnt matter. Only reason I run ER is because I got a used set for a killer deal. If I bought brand new, I'd go VRSF
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I PM'd you asking what he PM'd you. PM me back.

hahha..

except for quality welds, no. its all PIPE
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
AJF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

Thanks
Don't quote me on this as i'm not 100% sure it makes a difference but I have had my Gintani DP installed for a few thousand miles and NO CEL light. I've read somewhere else on here the some of the more expensive brands and worked on engineering a fix for the CEL light. So far so good (Finger Crossed)
      12-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF80 View Post
Don't quote me on this as i'm not 100% sure it makes a difference but I have had my Gintani DP installed for a few thousand miles and NO CEL light. I've read somewhere else on here the some of the more expensive brands and worked on engineering a fix for the CEL light. So far so good (Finger Crossed)
There is no fix for the cel.

It basically comes down to Good quality stainless steel, quality welds, options like flex sections and ceramic coatings and of course perfect fitment.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
Chan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:

Thanks
I had the same questions before I ultimately decided to go with the AA downpipes (I just bought them on Cyber Monday). I ended up reading a ton of threads prior to purchase and the following are the five factors that I considered in order of what I considered important:

1) Flex Joints - People on the forum do not agree whether they are necessary or not. Those who believe they are necessary state that they help prevent vibrations in the cabin. I personally believe they are necessary or else BMW and Akra would not have put it on their downpipes.

2) Ceramic Coating / Heat Shielding - The consensus on the forum is that this is not necessary for catless downpipes due to the removal of the cats, which generate tremendous amounts of heat. I agreed with the consensus.

3) Sound - One of the threads I read said that there are differences in tone but it is not noticeable to the average person. One of the vendors mentioned that the Eisenmann downpipes have a higher pitch so I took those downpipes out of consideration since I am looking for a deeper tone.

4) Fitment - It was difficult to find many people who encountered fitment issues. Akra appears to have the best fitment but all other brands appear to fit well too.

5) Diameter of Piping - I think all of the popular brands manufacture downpipes with 3" piping that ultimately neck down to 2.5" to connect to the stock midpipes. How soon it necks down to 2.5" was not important to me. Even if it was 3" throughout, the stock midpipes would still serve as a bottleneck in my mind.

Good luck in making your decision!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Thanks
What makes a downpipe premium ? the price?

In my honest opinion the quality of VRSF M3 downpipe, design and fitment is as premium as a downpipe can be.

If you are looking for a downpipe with flex section, get the active autowerke ... Their swain coating is the highest quality coating i have seen

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

A premium downpipe = OEM, doesn't get more premium than that

You know... the ones that contain precious metals, rhodium / palladium / platinum
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #12
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
A premium downpipe = OEM, doesn't get more premium than that

You know... the ones that contain precious metals, rhodium / palladium / platinum
Cant argue there.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I'd go with the one that fits your budget here. Premium are always a little better quality but no way are they worth the price for what they want for them and you never ever get to see them again once they're on. In 2-4 weeks on the car if you look at them they all look the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
no
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #15
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

The VRSF downpipes are the best bang-for-the-buck, by a long shot. The smooth v-band-to-pipe transition is key and currently only a feature in a few downpipes currently on the market, regardless of price - in this regard, VRSF downpipes feature a really well engineered cast stainless v-band flange that is perfectly smooth for better flow right out of the turbine section that most more expensive downpipes don't feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
The VRSF downpipes are the best bang-for-the-buck, by a long shot. The smooth v-band-to-pipe transition is key and currently only a feature in a few downpipes currently on the market, regardless of price - in this regard, VRSF downpipes feature a really well engineered cast stainless v-band flange that is perfectly smooth for better flow right out of the turbine section that most more expensive downpipes don't feature.
+1

Here is comparison picture with stock and a photo installed. Fitment is spot on

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0