BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Importance of tire age?

Looking at several used winter setups and many of the tires unsurprisingly have DOT codes indicating they're several years old. A friend tells me 6 years or more is too old, no matter how much tread remaining and no matter how stored? Any thoughts? Some of the deals look great, but if the tires are no longer good due to the aging of the rubber, etc., then I need new tires and it no longer makes sense to buy the used setup. If a winter tire has lots of tread but was manufactured in 2011, for example, how many (safe) seasons do you think it has left? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Most things I have read say 6 years as rubber does degrade with age - exposure to UV, heat, oxidation and plain and simple wear & tear. This is even when it is in storage and not on a car. Aged tires (or any rubber) becomes harder and brittle (just like hoses). They won't grip as well as when new either.
      11-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
Most things I have read say 6 years as rubber does degrade with age - exposure to UV, heat, oxidation and plain and simple wear & tear. This is even when it is in storage and not on a car. Aged tires (or any rubber) becomes harder and brittle (just like hoses). They won't grip as well as when new either.
This.

/thread.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
this. i don't have to deal with winters, but i'd probably even take winter tires to three years maximum, regardless of wear.
      11-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

TireRack says 6-10 years here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

Part 2:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=183
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0