BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Angry Trouble adding Home Address to NAV

I've been trying for the past 2 days, man this is like rocket science.

So I stopped the car in front of the building gate and then tapped the iDrive controller button, it gave me a few options and the last one was "Save Position" so technically, that should save my exact GPS location. but no, when I click Save position, then select Home Contact, the address that appears in that home contact is not my actual position, but a small supermarket behind me that's like 50 feet away.

So then, I drove my car inside the building premise right in front of the parking lots then clicked the iDrive controller, then chose Save Position assuming it would save my current location, yet, it saves a position from a nearby neighborhood! Arggh!! why BMW!?! Why must such a simple task be so difficult.

I'm used to my old Garmin GPS where when I click on the position i'm in the map and save it, that exact position is what gets saved

If I try to enter the building name manually, it doesn't show it but shows me some states in the USA and whatnot even though I am in Dubai and have the Dubai Maps so that is not an option either.

Please help

Last edited by Super Spartan; 11-20-2016 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Are you saying that you can't even add the street address? Is it a newly developed street? Maybe you need to update your map.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Are you saying that you can't even add the street address? Is it a newly developed street? Maybe you need to update your map.
The thing is, where I live, Dubai Silicon Oasis has no street names, it's just one small area with buildings and shops. When I try to navigate and choose Points of Interest, I can easily find my building name. But when trying to change the Home Address, it doesn't allow you to select from a POI but only from an address. Then comes the fact is why is it when I am clicking on a point in the map to save that as m home address, it's not picking that same location but instead, the nearest landmark to it. That's not very smart and easy like it was on my cheap 4 year old Garmin Navigation device.

What is one wants to save X point on the map and save it to a contact? I guess it would do the same thing by not actually picking up his navigation coordinates but rather, just randomly pick the nearest landmark
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Finally! I solved the problem.

Since me saving my current position and adding it as a contact was resulting in the navigation system stupidly picking up the nearest landmark which was far off from my actual home address, what I did was, I located my building name easily through the points of interest, then I pressed the OPTION button in the iDrive controller, then I chose Save Position,k then I added it to my Home Address and hit save. I also deleted the old address that was also stored in my home contact previously and now I'm all set!
Appreciate 0