BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Arrow BimmerTech's VividScreen: a complete upgrade for the CCC iDrive system

Hi, just wanted to let you all know about something we've developed to help 1st generation iDrive users bring their cars up to date.

It's called VividScreen. Because that's what it is. It's a replacement for the factory iDrive display with twice the pixel density, brighter colors and better contrast. (And depending on your model, it might be quite a bit bigger, too. 8.8", just like in the latest BMWs). It really does mean that your iDrive display will finally have the same kind of image quality we expect from our computers, TVs or phones.

There's a bit more to it, though. We're bundling it with an enhanced interface, to add compatibility with our range of multimedia retrofits. So if you want to use that crisp-looking screen to watch Apple TV, to mirror your iPhone or Android smartphone, or with a park assist camera, you're in luck. Whatever you do with it, though, you're sure to notice the difference

It’s specially designed for E6x and E9x models fitted with a CCC iDrive system, and integrates seamlessly with your vehicle’s interior, whether your car came with a smaller 6” or larger 8.8” display.

I think it's a pretty big improvement on the factory hardware, but don't take my word for it! A few people have already upgraded their iDrive with VividScreen. Check out what one of them has to say about it in his review, and see it for yourself.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Hi, just wanted to let you all know about something we've developed to help 1st generation iDrive users bring their cars up to date.

It's called VividScreen. Because that's what it is. It's a replacement for the factory iDrive display with twice the pixel density, brighter colors and better contrast. (And depending on your model, it might be quite a bit bigger, too. 8.8", just like in the latest BMWs). It really does mean that your iDrive display will finally have the same kind of image quality we expect from our computers, TVs or phones.

There's a bit more to it, though. We're bundling it with an enhanced interface, to add compatibility with our range of multimedia retrofits. So if you want to use that crisp-looking screen to watch Apple TV, to mirror your iPhone or Android smartphone, or with a park assist camera, you're in luck. Whatever you do with it, though, you're sure to notice the difference

It’s specially designed for E6x and E9x models fitted with a CCC iDrive system, and integrates seamlessly with your vehicle’s interior, whether your car came with a smaller 6” or larger 8.8” display.

I think it's a pretty big improvement on the factory hardware, but don't take my word for it! A few people have already upgraded their iDrive with VividScreen. Check out what one of them has to say about it in his review, and see it for yourself.

Thanks!
Has anyone done this upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=17
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #4
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=17
I don't see any solid reviews on the actual screen and usability other than the cameras. I'm more interested in a review of the iPhone mirroring capability via appletv and functionality of the appletv.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
What is the difference between the smart view HD and the HD flex? Also, does the Vivid Screen come with a Multimedia interface?
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Smartview is CIC and vividview is CCC. Smartview uses an apple airplay device and a multimedia device (input splitter). I would imagine the vividview is the same but for CCC. An airplay device located by CCC and multimedia device in glovebox. The multimedia device on CIC is placed in between CIC and CID. So when you want (press menu for 2 seconds) you bypass idrive and screen mirrors whatever your phone is showing just like airplay.....so mirroring, movies, BT music if you don't have combox. It's a great upgrade for either CCC or CIC IMO! I believe it gets rid of video in motion necessity but I could be mistaken.
      02-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #7
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
What is the difference between the smart view HD and the HD flex? Also, does the Vivid Screen come with a Multimedia interface?
SmartView HD is based on AppleTV 3rd so it's intended mostly for Apple users since it supports AirPlay only. It also requires MMI HD since it only has the HDMI port (no RCA connection).

SmartView HD Flex supports both AirPlay and Miracast so it's a good option for Apple and Android users. Also SV HD Flex can be used in cars where we cannot use MMI HD because it also supports RCA.

VividScreen comes with MMI HD so you can connect either SV HD or SV HD Flex as well as our rear view camera with dynamic parking lines. All of these will work in cars with the CCC iDrive.

For cars with the CIC we can offer a non-HD MMI with SV HD Flex and a rear view camera with dynamic parking lines.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Does it maintain all factory idrive functionality? All options accessible? Does it use the idrive controller for input?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Does it maintain all factory idrive functionality? All options accessible? Does it use the idrive controller for input?
Yes to all 3 questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #10
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I got the VividScreen. Everything looks 100x nicer than it did with the OEM Unit. I use a AUX-to-Bluetooth Adapter, so I usually leave mine on the main screen. Makes it much nicer to look at!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
I got the VividScreen. Everything looks 100x nicer than it did with the OEM Unit. I use a AUX-to-Bluetooth Adapter, so I usually leave mine on the main screen. Makes it much nicer to look at!
CCC? Pics? iPhone mirroring?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

I think I might try vividscreen.

I've had an Android system running wonderfully for years with an old mmi.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030774

Lately the AndroidPC has been bogging down so, I picked up a new one which is 8x's faster and uses less energy. The technology (android and hardware) has improved immensely and now an option for a higher res screen WITH AN HDMI is available!

Been plugging away on the new androidPC in my livingRm.. figured out how to do this much easier.
Attached Images

04-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
ycb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Sedan

Instead of hooking up an AppleTV to this, could you instead hook up an Android box, which also just uses HDMI and USB?

Apple Tv is teh suxxor lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycb View Post
Instead of hooking up an AppleTV to this, could you instead hook up an Android box, which also just uses HDMI and USB?

Apple Tv is teh suxxor lol
Theoretically, anything with an HDMI can be used. As far as powering from the USB, you would be limited to the devices depending on the maxium amps the USB outputs. I am looking for the answer but, I would imagine its atleast 2A if it can power AppleTV (just an educated guess).

If you would like to use a device that requires more power than the USB can supply or a different voltage, just pick up a transformer and tap it in.
      04-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #15
Gavc
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Would there be any way to use this to display CarPlay? Using the idrive to control it?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavc View Post
Would there be any way to use this to display CarPlay? Using the idrive to control it?
I cannot say no but, I highly doubt you can control anything from the idrive controller. Even if you were to intercept the control commands from the idrive controller, it would still be sending commands to the idrive it's self. There would need to be something in place to stop the idrive from getting messed up in the background while you are controlling another device.

Bimmertech should jump in on this conversation. Their apple device seems interesting. Personally, I don't like apple and know little about their products so, I cannot add much value here.