BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

300 miles past the 1200 mile service, few observations

Car is now a different beast now that I am not watching the revs on gearchanges. This thing flies but watch out, it can trick you into thinking you're going 30 mph slower than you are.

I can really tell the difference EDC makes when on the twisties. I live in rural England near York and we have proper lanes around here, many single track (tarmac). I have hit the power button and left all else on comfort/normal and then hit my M button with everything set to the maximum and gone over the same roads with both set ups and the improved handling is immediately noticeable when on the edge. In fact I was nearly past the edge and in a field a couple of times.

I Drive. Brilliant BUT a couple of times today I swear I clicked right and then clicked yet it still went into Settings instead of Navigation. Also, when I take a call it flicks into phone and doesnt return back to Audio or wherever I was before when the call is finished. Very irritating.

Why can i fiddle with everything imaginable on the move but not Google? What difference does it make? Would be nice to allow a passenger to google up somewhere to eat when on a long trip for example!

Nav - works great. Realised today I can zoom in (duh how did I miss that) which really helped when finding a prospective client's site today.

Aircon - bit fiddly. Probably my lack of understanding of the system but when I activate it via buttons on the dash it seems determined to bringt he climate screen up on I drive. I dont want to fiddle I just want to be cooler. Arrghh! Ill be playing with the settings to see if its just me.

Wow factor - Most comments, nods and thumbs up signals have been from people in other performance cars or modified cars (from porsches to modded up hot hatches). Other car freaks basically. I dont think most of the public have a clue what it is, even in white. Get plenty of nods/waves from other M drivers. The most enthusiastic are older model M3 owners (not E46 though).

Still think it's an awesome car. Getting frustrated waiting for my wheels but on the upside I'm enjoying ragging then hell out of the tyres on the 18s.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4

Last edited by Leg; 04-07-2008 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Car is now a different beast now that I am not watching the revs on gearchanges. This thing flies but watch out, it can trick you into thinking you're going 30 mph slower than you are.

I can really tell the difference EDC makes when on the twisties. I live in rural England near York and we have proper lanes around here, many single track (tarmac). I have hit the power button and left all else on comfort/normal and then hit my M button with everything set to the maximum and gone over the same roads with both set ups and the improved handling is immediately noticeable when on the edge. In fact I was nearly past the edge and in a field a couple of times.

I Drive. Brilliant BUT a couple of times today I swear I clicked right and then clicked yet it still went into Settings instead of Navigation. Also, when I take a call it flicks into phone and doesnt return back to Audio or wherever I was before when the call is finished. Very irritating.

Why can i fiddle with everything imaginable on the move but not Google? What difference does it make? Would be nice to allow a passenger to google up somewhere to eat when on a long trip for example!

Nav - works great. Realised today I can zoom in (duh how did I miss that) which really helped when finding a prospective client's site today.

Aircon - bit fiddly. Probably my lack of understanding of the system but when I activate it via buttons on the dash it seems determined to bringt he climate screen up on I drive. I dont want to fiddle I just want to be cooler. Arrghh! Ill be playing with the settings to see if its just me.

Wow factor - Most comments, nods and thumbs up signals have been from people in other peformance cars or modified cars (from porsches to modded up hot hatches). Other car freaks basically. I dont think most of the public have a clue what it is, even in white. Get plenty of nods/waves from other M drivers. The most enthusiastic are older model M3 owners (not E46 though).

Still think it's an awesome car. Getting frustrated waiting for my wheels but on the upside I'm enjoying ragging then hell out of the tyres on the 18s.
What kind of wheels are you putting on? What size?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Good update.
Thanks!
      04-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

if it's any consolation we don't get Google in the US in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
asaulo1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

cool review... just makes my wait a lot harder knowing that I still have to plow on 1200 mis. before I get to the promised land
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MWorld View Post
What kind of wheels are you putting on? What size?
Breyton GTS Race, Matt Black, 19s.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Yea the car really comes alive huh? I read to keep the EDC at normal because the computer at normal will adjust the EDC to you driving conditions. I use to keep my EDC at full sport the whole time and the ride was very rough. I took the same road a couple times one time with the EDC on sport and it was rough. Then went to normal and the road was smooth till i got on the car and whipped around corners. The suspension tightened up.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Thanks for the nice review!!! My impressions are very similar!!!