Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

--------------

-----------

Last edited by Jaymax85; 05-21-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
Jadar1752.50
FSociety3812.50
      11-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F80 M3

Awesome man .!! Congrats on the tune .. so will you say the car feels with bm3 stage 1 as fast as JB4 map 2 on e30 ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Can you control the exhaust valves yet? I k ow they're working on that. Congrats. Cant wait to get mine Saturday. I heard the burbles in person with down pipes and stock exhaust. It was loud and backfired too.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

---------------------

Last edited by Jaymax85; 05-21-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
I'm honestly not sure, I don't recall seeing that option but I'll check again and let u know
Thank you? Hows the tune treating you so far? and are you on 93 or 91 octane?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
tune is great, I'm on 93, turns out the burbles weren't enabled... PTF promptly sent me a new flash with them enabled.. i have to upload the flash
Lucky you. We're stuck with dog piss 91 in cali. Videos after the update?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
Ricardo@ACFPerformance
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Mit Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
Can you control the exhaust valves yet? I k ow they're working on that. Congrats. Cant wait to get mine Saturday. I heard the burbles in person with down pipes and stock exhaust. It was loud and backfired too.
PTF probably will enable this function thru BM3 very soon. Although we have already coded our flashes to control the exhaust valve while changing idrive options (efficient with flap fully closed, sport with stock operation and sport+ with fully opened).
Appreciate 3
Jaymax85714.00
Jadar1752.50
      11-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

Anyone Switch from HEX Stg. 2?

Curious if anybody has switched from the HEX Stage 2 to BM3? I'm eventually going make the switch myself when the iOS app is available.

HEX Stage 2 tune has been good, but I've had some inconsistency with it in 3rd & 4th gears under WOT. It stutters and hesitates sometimes in the 3-5K RPM band - almost sounds like misfiring. When it is smooth, it is great, but you almost never know what you'll get when you hit the throttle hard - sometimes it pulls smoothly, sometimes it chokes.

2016 AY M4 : SB Full Leather : HRE P104 20" x 9.5" Front / 11.5" Rear : Pirelli PZero Nero GT 255/30/20 Front / 305/25/20 Rear : CCBs : KW v3's : Active Autowerke Full Exhaust & DPs : ESS Silicon Charge Pipes : VF HEX Stage 2 : VF TCU : Status Gruppe Rear Diffuser : M-Perf Side Blades : M-Perf Front Lip : Reus Audio System : Painted Side Reflectors : Black Grill Surrounds : Black Side Markers
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #9
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

Please explain how you have inconsistent power? I never heard of this before just curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:52 AM   #10
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

What is acf tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:20 AM   #11
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Did you leave the JB4 in or did you disconnect it?
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      11-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Awesome to hear you're enjoying the bm3 platform. Yes Alex is awesome to work with.
Welcome to the ACF tuned Chicago crowd
      11-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #13
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msanity View Post
Curious if anybody has switched from the HEX Stage 2 to BM3? I'm eventually going make the switch myself when the iOS app is available.

HEX Stage 2 tune has been good, but I've had some inconsistency with it in 3rd & 4th gears under WOT. It stutters and hesitates sometimes in the 3-5K RPM band - almost sounds like misfiring. When it is smooth, it is great, but you almost never know what you'll get when you hit the throttle hard - sometimes it pulls smoothly, sometimes it chokes.

I switched to PP from VF for that exact reason, but will be switching to BM3 soon. I hope this week, but I'm in line with a few customers for the tune

@alpine_m4 got his done today with me and all I can say is WOW!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
And this may be completely in my head but i always felt the car "felt faster" some instances then others ... the throttle response and pull mainly what I am referring to.

I took out the jb4

Acf is a tuning company based out of Brazil that has an office in Chicago. Alex from acf is whom I paid to unlock my ecu and he supplied me with their tune in addition to the pft tune to use... I've been running the acf to compare with the pft.

I've had the car with the tune for about a week and the car is flawless. No cel no issues. The car sounds great, pulls like a champ.

Very happy I made the switch.. the car just feels much better
Yah I've noticed the same with the JB4 sometimes its inconsistent.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin | AutoTalent View Post
I switched to PP from VF for that exact reason...
That's not actually true, Justin.

You were a great advocate for our brand when you worked for a Certified Installer
of ours, and we have no doubt you'll be a great ambassador for the new brand
you're selling now.

We absolutely welcome friendly competition so please be fair/honest about it!

We've reached out to Msanity to test drive his car and are hoping to hear back from
him soon. His particular description is not in line with other customers experiences so
we'd like to take a closer look and see if we can help him out.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:

+1 exact same issue I'm having. The car stutters harder than...well I'm not going to go there, but 3-5k unless I bury my foot down the pedal (which will cause unwanted wheel spin) the car will choke and stutter, which is mighty embarrassing I might add. Supposedly the "update" will fix that, but it's not worth it because it's literally almost half the cost of a new tune....

Quote:
I switched to PP from VF for that exact reason, but will be switching to BM3 soon. I hope this week, but I'm in line with a few customers for the tune

+1, haven't experienced it yet but I personally know Alpine M4 so if he likes it then chances are so will all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post
That's not actually true, Justin.

You were a great advocate for our brand when you worked for a Certified Installer
of ours, and we have no doubt you'll be a great ambassador for the new brand
you're selling now.

We absolutely welcome friendly competition so please be fair/honest about it!

We've reached out to Msanity to test drive his car and are hoping to hear back from
him soon. His particular description is not in line with other customers experiences so
we'd like to take a closer look and see if we can help him out.
Now where do I begin, I was probably one of the first 20 people that got the VF tune, yes it's great, yes I can beat out a F8X ZCP from a roll, and the overrun is nice sounding at times. VF is the first tune I had on my car, so I had nothing to compare it to as nothing else really captured my interest...until now. I particularly have no quarrel with you, but I will say this though I will be switching to BM3.

You mentioned that the stuttering should not be a common issue and it only happens in some car, but did you not release a software update stating that this is an occurrence? Granted this can be avoid if I drive the car like a grandma, but let's face it my car is not a garage queen, I drive it like how it's meant to be driven so I don't go easy on the throttle, I mash it like I stole it. Is this why I'm switching tune? No. First, I'm switching because as a consumer after dumping money at Supreme Power paying for the tune and to have my DME pulled, and even after offering the software update, I would then need to spend more money to fix the tune, whereas late adopter would get the new software. Second, I am switching because of the utility BM3 has over VF, the ability to switch on the go is important; and now with that option in hand I would be able to go Meth and have a few different map ready.

I have nothing against you guys, but since you do welcome friendly competition and opinions from locals these are mine. And yes the car is pretty much daily driven, I have had it for 5 months and about 10k miles, about 8800 of those miles were driven with the tune.

For all others please see the link below for the software update which MAY or MAY NOT fix the stuttering issues, but please be aware that if you do not have the cable VF will have to sell you the cable to fix it.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...vf+engineering

And also a cutout from Team VF regarding the choking/hesitation throttle issue.
Attached Images

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.

Last edited by hanszilla; 11-17-2016 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #17
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm
      11-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #18
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla
...too much to quote, please see above.
I'm not certain that I remember your car personally, but if you were flashed at Supreme without a HEX Flash cable, you were indeed an earlier adopter and prolly one of our first 40-50 total users.

You are also correct that we issued an update about 4-5 months after initial release to address the stuttering issue. It was in response to a minority percentage of customers feedback, but we felt it was worthwhile to demonstrate our dedication to providing the best possible product and customer service.

All updates are FREE. You happen to fall into a fortunate category of customers who were not required to purchase the HEX Flash cable for on-site flashing because of our early arrangement with Supreme (based on the fact that they are only a few blocks from our location).

You actually benefited from a $295 savings that hundreds of other customers happily paid for, so they could benefit from the convenience of on-site flashing.

Now to take it one step further, we advised Supreme Power to let all of their early customers know that (1) we would gladly provide updates at our location if any of their early customers wanted to make an appointment, or (2) offer a discount for the HEX Flash Cable for customers who would appreciate MAP Switching capabilities and/or future upgrades.

I'm not sure if Justin ever had the chance to explain that to you before he left Supreme and started working at Auto Talent, but both of those offers still stand. It will cost you absolutely nothing but a few minutes of time if you came to us, or would only be a minimal cost to purchase the cable in order to enjoy port flashing/map switching capabilities.

The update will take less than 10 minutes if we do it for you.
If you purchase a HEX Flash Cable it will take less than 3 minutes once the program is downloaded to your laptop. It's incredibly simple, and in the future it can absolutely be done "on the go" without wifi/server/cloud access as you mentioned you would be interested in.

Last edited by VF-Engineering; 11-17-2016 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #19
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

I hate to do this, but if vf is jumping into bm3's review thread, I might as well open up about my experience dealing with hex and its installer.

I was very interested at what hex could offer and I almost jumped into it. However my experience dealing with vf and supreme were not a pleasant one. It was very hard to get a straight respond to my questions (maybe my questions were stupid to the?? idk).

After I learned much more from forum members, I decided to make an appointment with supreme and whoever I was dealing with at supreme basically had no desire to put me down for their appointment and throwing me around.

Forwarded my complain to vf and they did not even respond.

Sorry vf but you guys need to sharpen up your pencils if you want to be successful. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:49 AM   #20
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not certain that I remember your car personally, but if you were flashed at Supreme without a HEX Flash cable, you were indeed an earlier adopter and prolly one of our first 40-50 total users.

You are also correct that we issued an update about 4-5 months after initial release to address the stuttering issue. It was in response to a minority percentage of customers feedback, but we felt it was worthwhile to demonstrate our dedication to providing the best possible product and customer service.

All updates are FREE. You happen to fall into a fortunate category of customers who were not required to purchase the HEX Flash cable for on-site flashing because of our early arrangement with Supreme (based on the fact that they are only a few blocks from our location).

You actually benefited from a $295 savings that hundreds of other customers happily paid for, so they could benefit from the convenience of on-site flashing.

Now to take it one step further, we advised Supreme Power to let all of their early customers know that (1) we would gladly provide updates at our location if any of their early customers wanted to make an appointment, or (2) offer a discount for the HEX Flash Cable for customers who would appreciate MAP Switching capabilities and/or future upgrades.

I'm not sure if Justin ever had the chance to explain that to you before he left Supreme and started working at Auto Talent, but both of those offers still stand. It will cost you absolutely nothing but a few minutes of time if you came to us, or would only be a minimal cost to purchase the cable in order to enjoy port flashing/map switching capabilities.

If you purchase a HEX Flash Cable it will take less than 3 minutes once the program is downloaded to your laptop. It's incredibly simple, and in the future it can absolutely be done "on the go" without wifi/server/cloud access as you mentioned you would be interested in.
Gary, I am all for "friendly" competition. I have my reasons for changing. I've experienced Jb4, GIAC, VF, and PP. They all have treated me well, and I've enjoyed my experience with each brand.

Before blaming me for misinforming hanszilla, I would like to note that the dongles were not permitted for sale until AFTER my leave.

Last edited by Justin.AutoTalent; 11-18-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:12 AM   #21
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

Can u guys stop clogging my thread with the back and forth
Appreciate 1
ricerx164.00
      11-18-2016, 03:20 AM   #22
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:

In respect to the OP I will keep this brief.

1) Justin had already left Supreme when I brought my car in. Eric, Nick, and Tyson worked on my car (the tune was one of the many things they did)
2) No one told me about the free updates or what was in the works to make the tune perform better.
3) As far as your "free" goes, please see the attached screenshot from my inbox. If you mentioned that the update is free, and that I could just bring the car in to utilize your cable I would have done so weeks ago. Now would the update have barred me from switching to BM3? Probably not, because I would like to have meth enabled, but it would have honestly left me with a better lasting impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I hate to do this, but if vf is jumping into bm3's review thread, I might as well open up about my experience dealing with hex and its installer.

I was very interested at what hex could offer and I almost jumped into it. However my experience dealing with vf and supreme were not a pleasant one. It was very hard to get a straight respond to my questions (maybe my questions were stupid to the?? idk).

After I learned much more from forum members, I decided to make an appointment with supreme and whoever I was dealing with at supreme basically had no desire to put me down for their appointment and throwing me around.

Forwarded my complain to vf and they did not even respond.

Sorry vf but you guys need to sharpen up your pencils if you want to be successful. Good luck
+1 Which reminds me VF-Engineering why are you on the BM3 thread putting down Justin? It's really not making a good impression on the "customer service" aspect that you mentioned that the company stood for.

Quote:
Can u guys stop clogging my thread with the back and forth
Sorry OP, but thank you for the review. I'm pretty excited to test out BM3 with some custom maps for my meth kit.
Attached Images

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00