BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

11-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Suggestion needed for a fun road trip in mid-late December in X6M

Hi folks,

Soon to take delivery of X6M in So Cal.
My two kids, 10 & 12, will be off in mid-late December from school. I have this idea to break-in my soon to be F86. Originally I wanted to do Euro delivery of F80 in 2015 but couldn't wait and picked up F80 in Dec'14. I took F80 to Scottsdale, AZ to break in the car and it was a wonderful experience for the family.

Since I will not be picking F86 at the factory, my thought is to ship the car to a particular dealership or location. Once the car get there, fly in with family, explore the area, and then drive back home.

I am planning to spend a week and a half for this road trip. My family will fly in to meet me during the last leg of the trip wherever it maybe.

Any suggestion welcome.

-Mack
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

My wife and I will be getting our F85 in mid December and plan on taking a road trip to the Bay Area from So Cal.

We have cage side seats for UFC on Fox at the new Golden 1 Center in Sacramento on 17 December then we will head over to San Francisco for a few days.

Road trip up north could be a good option.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotally Tober View Post
My wife and I will be getting our F85 in mid December and plan on taking a road trip to the Bay Area from So Cal.

We have cage side seats for UFC on Fox at the new Golden 1 Center in Sacramento on 17 December then we will head over to San Francisco for a few days.

Road trip up north could be a good option.
+1. I think a trip to northern CA would be pretty sweet.

The 101 through Santa Barbara/Montecito and on to SLO would be great for winetasting and sightseeing. The stretch of the 101 north of Santa Barbara gives you about 50 miles of wonderful road to test your car -- elevation, rolling fields, mountains in the distance, smooth asphalt, great sightlines.

You can cut over at Lompoc to the 1 and take that through Big Sur. There are some cool places along the coast to eat and stay. Of course, this puts on course for SF, Sonoma and Napa. You can always find good things to do there.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

(If you have all seasons or winter tires, you might want to check out Tahoe too. That's a great drive around the Lake and tons for the family to do.)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #4
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

A few years ago I rented a car in San Diego and in three days drove 1000 miles to Cabo San Lucas, breathtaking scenery and perfect (read: empty & fast) roads, felt perfectly safe and, early along the way, had dinner and night stop at Doņa Espinoza, where Steve McQueen and other Baja racers left great memories. There I also got the best lobster of my life at BigMac prices.

You may need to check if BMW at Cabo may perform your 1200 mi service, should be no problem, more so if you get the needed oil and filter at the car pickup and carry it with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep

ST & Lucas42,

Thank you. A trip up the coast would be very nice indeed. I didn't think about Tahoe via Mammoth Lake. My wife kind of like the idea. Thanks to google I has just mapped out a breaking in trip

Home via 395->Tahoe->Carson City->Reno->Sacramento->SF->Santa Barbara via 101-> home. That should be a good 1200 or closely thereto.

Ajob,
Cabo sounds like a good vacation spot. Maybe I need to consider that at a latter venture.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Some 15 mi South of Carson City you have Minden, where I once spent a week at a sailplane competition - there you can easily get beautiful sailplane rides - it has a lot in common with X6 M driving - see www.soaringnv.com
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep

A week ago I drove F16 3.5i and felt like it would be a good daily. Decided not to wait for F86 and decided to pickup left over '16 with very deep discount on the car. Now I have left over budget for M2...

Since I am keeping my F80 M3 and just added F16 35i M Sport, I am re-evaluate my route depending on which car I will take. Most likely it will be X6 since I really enjoy driving it. For now, 300HP suffices for daily usage. I know F86 is in my future but maybe a demo car or CPO.

Thank you all for suggestion.
Appreciate 0