BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Thinking about this too much???

My SSII is supposed to be at the dealership Monday afternoon after being transferred from another dealership. I saw one in person today and have to say that I wasn't as wowed as I thought I would be. It is sharp, no doubt...I am all about having a color that I wont see much of on the road am having second thoughts now.... I absolutely love the way the SSII looks in the brochures and didnt "dislike" it today....it just wasnt what I had expected.

I saw the AW with fox red extended leather and it looked sweet....Talked to that dealer (i am out of town visiting family) and he told me that I was getting a sweet deal on my trade in and my discount off of msrp for the SSII and couldn't touch it for an M on his lot. I do feel good about that but the color concerns me just a touch.

I will be traveling a lot in this car and don't want a color that will always show spots and will look really sharp after a few coats of Zaino each week. Am I thinking about this too much and what are your thoughts on the color. (I went with Black Extended leather with brushed silver trim).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

What is the interior on the SSII? I have ordered AW with extended FR with alum interior. I think the SSII looks great with the FR as well. Get what you want - do not compromise.
      04-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I think you will look at it different when you see 'yours'. You will love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

Not fan of SSII. Too much blue in it for me.

Go with your instincts. If it did'nt jump out at you today if probably never will.

dawgdog is right. Do not compromise. Get a colour you truly like.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
What is the interior on the SSII? I have ordered AW with extended FR with alum interior. I think the SSII looks great with the FR as well. Get what you want - do not compromise.
Black extended leather with brushed silver trim.....i will say that i was glad that it wasn't a greenish tint vs. the bluish tint...it was a little overcast and i am going back tomorrow on my way out of town to see if it looks any different before I do the deal Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
Do not compromise. Get a colour you truly like.
Here is my reasoning......

Currently have a deep sea blue 535i that I will be trading.....it's not a black car but is still alot of work to keep it as clean as i like my cars to be.

Interlagos Blue - out.

Red - well, I am one for being unique but being unique at 100mph isnt my thing.

Melbourne Red - out.

Black - if blue was a bitch, black is going to drive me nuts.

Black - out

White - The previous 5 cars before my 535i were all white and I loved the way they looked....they did, however, look like alot of other cars on the road.....

white is definitely on my list.

sparkling graphite - just out period
...not a dark gray kinda guy....

SSII - saw my buddy's 2003 330 in silver and couldnt believe how clean it looked. Seems to be a great color for what I am trying to accomplish and will still have some uniqueness about it. I am still leaning towards the SSII.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

SSII is too girly. I liked it for about a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
SSII is too girly. I liked it for about a day.
+1. Also the blue tone is ugly as the purplish tone in the Jerez. AW is also girly. Try SpaceGrey or Sparkling Graphite.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I've been roaming dealer lots and have seen AW, SSII, MB, IB, JzB, and JB in person... (edit: forgot Space Grey and Sparkling Graphite too! - yeah I've been busy "lot-lizarding")

IMO I like Melbourne Red for the coupe, with the greys 2nd, Alpine White for the sedan best, with Sparkling Graphite a good runner-up -- it's very HOT.

But color is totally opinion. If your gut still says SSII, GET IT!
      04-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I think they look good in all colors

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I'm sorry, but you can discuss just about anything on this group, EXCEPT for colors....

That's something so personal. yahtzee: you will need to make up your mind on what color YOU like on YOUR car, which I supposed YOU will be driving.

SSII is not a "dirty" color. It's easy to "make it" look clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
I've been roaming dealer lots and have seen AW, SSII, MB, IB, JzB, and JB in person... (edit: forgot Space Grey and Sparkling Graphite too! - yeah I've been busy "lot-lizarding")

IMO I like Melbourne Red for the coupe, with the greys 2nd, Alpine White for the sedan best, with Sparkling Graphite a good runner-up -- it's very HOT.

But color is totally opinion. If your gut still says SSII, GET IT!
OK, OK, go ahead and say it - JzB sucks! You won't hurt my feelings!

OK, maybe a little......

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #13
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

According to a study

Most popular colors :

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855652.html

So white is a good choice but not very unique
silver/grey has been popular in the last five years but is getting less and less popular right now
jet black rocks but is high maintenance
jerez black is exotic but not a pure color, same goes with SS. These colors are best in sunny places.
blue does not have the luxury feel
red is the best if you want exclusivity and class (highly recommend with beige int)

I hesitate between jet black, jerez black and ... white
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #14
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
You'll be happier with an M-exclusive color, imho.

OTOH, soliciting random strangers for advice about something so personal as color is not a good plan.

You're not really going to waste your time with a few coats of Zaino "each week" are you? It lasts a bit longer than that....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #15
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
My SSII is supposed to be at the dealership Monday afternoon after being transferred from another dealership. I saw one in person today and have to say that I wasn't as wowed as I thought I would be. It is sharp, no doubt...I am all about having a color that I wont see much of on the road am having second thoughts now.... I absolutely love the way the SSII looks in the brochures and didnt "dislike" it today....it just wasnt what I had expected.

I saw the AW with fox red extended leather and it looked sweet....Talked to that dealer (i am out of town visiting family) and he told me that I was getting a sweet deal on my trade in and my discount off of msrp for the SSII and couldn't touch it for an M on his lot. I do feel good about that but the color concerns me just a touch.

I will be traveling a lot in this car and don't want a color that will always show spots and will look really sharp after a few coats of Zaino each week. Am I thinking about this too much and what are your thoughts on the color. (I went with Black Extended leather with brushed silver trim).
Wanna trade? I feel the exact opposite.. Would love to change my AW (May Delivery) to SSII.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #16
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I too have a SSII en route and after seeing JB was worried about my choice. However, I saw a SSII sedan on a windy day with some clouds and liked how the color changes. Having had a silver and then 2 dark blue and then 2 black cars before this one, I know that the work in keeping a dark colored car swirl free is going to kill me while the silver is easier.

You might consider space gray. The only issue is that it can look dull and is a regular 3 series color.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #17
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
You'll be happier with an M-exclusive color, imho.

OTOH, soliciting random strangers for advice about something so personal as color is not a good plan.

You're not really going to waste your time with a few coats of Zaino "each week" are you? It lasts a bit longer than that....
Hadnt thought about it that way.....i got so many compliments on my deep sea blue metallic because of its uniqueness (I would bet that the SSII would be the same way). I agree with you on the solicitation of advice from others but bouncing stuff like this off of my wife is getting old (for her). I know it's my decision but I am trying to find the best compromise of uniqueness and the amount of effort required to keep it clean.....

I was being a bit sarcastic on the Zaino - however..........I will at least be doing the gloss enhancer on a weekly basis. I appreciate everyone's input.....

At the end of the day, no matter which color I go with, the car is badass. That's the exciting part for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I just redid my toolshed next to the driveway and decided to restock the various Zaino products, spent $150 or so. Plan to do the wife's car with the AIO and the CS.

Love Zaino.

I was just tweaking a bit about the opinions -- it is nice to hear *why* people pick colors, as that might offer some parallel's to one's own thinking that makes the opinion more "informed." Without the why, it's like asking what somebody's favorite dish is at a restaurant -- "oh the cheese plate is the best" -- without knowing they are a vegetarian and would never try the signature chateaubriand...

EDIT: Along those lines, my thought process: 1. M specific color -- they tend to have more depth and change in the light. So no SG, SG, JB or AW. 2. Metallic color -- I vastly prefer them, but this rule is redundant after 1. 3. Not the color everyone else has -- I like to be a bit different than the herd. SS2 went out for me here after I saw it as it just seemed too close to TiAg for me. 4. Not the same color as the last car -- I have Carbon Black now, so out goes JzB.

That leaves IB and MR. I saw MR in the flesh and was underwhelmed, even the wife thought it looked a bit orange. Plus, the interior that goes best with MR is either BB or Black. Black is godawfully hot in Louisiana, and I find beige to be boring. So, I went to IB, and it helped that I love the unique look of the (Palladium) Silver leather.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
umwolverine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez M3

Pick the color that you like the best. Your decision should have nothing to do with upkeep. If so, then you need to dedicate a few more hours in the week for car love. If you can't do that, then you do not deserve to own a M. Buy a p.o.s that you can drive around dirty and give up performance and styling for upkeep.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwolverine View Post
Pick the color that you like the best. Your decision should have nothing to do with upkeep. If so, then you need to dedicate a few more hours in the week for car love. If you can't do that, then you do not deserve to own a M. Buy a p.o.s that you can drive around dirty and give up performance and styling for upkeep.
I already dedicate more than 99% of the world to their car in a week. My goal was to not increase that. I went back and looked at the SSII and am thinking that it truly is a unique color that I am going to enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #21
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

It's everyone its own but I played a bit with the colors and think I like them best in that order:

SpaceGM with 18 inch wheels
JRZBK 18
SS 19
JBK 19
AW 19
MR 19
IB 19
SparklingGM

Appreciate 0