Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
viper221w
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

M Performance steering wheel for M3 LCI

Hi everyone, I recently ordered a M3 competition package here in the UK and got lucky with a build slot my dealership already had so my car is already in the UK and due for delivery next week. I decided to go with sakhir orange with matching interior and carbon trim. As I am a huge motorsport fan I really fancy the M Performance steering wheel with race display. However today my dealership said it's not available as I have the new LCI version that comes with the new idrive system. Does anyone on here know whether this is correct as I was really hoping to have the wheel fitted from day 1.

I have included a picture of my configuration below for those who might be interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
viper221w
Registered
Rep

In terms of options I went with the automatic, head up display, Harmon kardon, surround view, speed limit display, privacy glass not shown in pic and online music service.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

My $0.02 you don't need the electronic wheel if you have HUD. You're just duplicating information right in front of you and seems overkill.

Ps excellent color choice
Appreciate 1
dmk087318.00
      10-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper221w
Hi everyone, I recently ordered a M3 competition package here in the UK and got lucky with a build slot my dealership already had so my car is already in the UK and due for delivery next week. I decided to go with sakhir orange with matching interior and carbon trim. As I am a huge motorsport fan I really fancy the M Performance steering wheel with race display. However today my dealership said it's not available as I have the new LCI version that comes with the new idrive system. Does anyone on here know whether this is correct as I was really hoping to have the wheel fitted from day 1.

I have included a picture of my configuration below for those who might be interested.
Very strange. I checked BMW.de and they list the MPE electric for M3/M4 build 2014 or later with no restriction. It does have more than just water or oil temp and who wouldn't want the RPM display like an F1 car? I love mine, but yes technically you really don't need it. Not sure what the idrive software would have to do with the wheel. I would check with another dealer just in case
      10-12-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
viper221w
Registered
Rep

Good idea I'll phone another dealer today and check.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

as already said, the info you get from the race display wheel is the same as you get from the HUD. Save the dough and put it towards the MPE
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
as already said, the info you get from the race display wheel is the same as you get from the HUD. Save the dough and put it towards the MPE
My HUD doesn't give me Water Temp, G-force, quarter mile data or lap times. Does yours? I'm not saying anybody needs this steering wheel, but its fun to have and great to look at IMO. Of course you can get a bunch of other stuff for the money instead. It's certainly overpriced and the car comes standard with a Steering wheel , but so are wheels or exhausts and yet most of us change them for no other reason but satisfy our individual tastes.
      10-13-2016, 02:57 AM   #8
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

a fair point. I concede that if you are buying the car as a full on track weapon then I could see the benefits of having such data in your eye line. but if its a DD not sure there is much point
Appreciate 0