Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Michelin to launch new Pilot Sport 4 S tires to replace Super Sport

This is BIG news lady and gents!

The Pilot Super Sport is officially going out of production and an all new tire will be taking its place! The all new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S! It sounds very very promising with better performance and even better tread life than the awesome PSS. They say it's going to have a tread life of about 30,000 miles!!! Amazing! The new PS4S will be going into production next March. I just hope they will have sizes to fit my Dinan Wheels! This tire is going to be awesome! I have the Pirelli P-Zero's and they have been great but I'm sure that since the new PS4S is coming out other manufacturers are going to have to up their game too!

I am also certain that the new PS4S will come standard on the next M5/M6 as well as other high performance cars such as Mercedes AMG and Audi RS models.

Can't wait until next March!

Quote:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/micheli...c=socialflowFB

Michelin Launches New King of All Tires, the Pilot Sport 4 S

During all the je ne sais quoi of the 2016 Paris auto show, we missed some major tire news: Michelin is replacing its Pilot Super Sport (PSS) with the Pilot Sport 4 S (PS4S).

What? Why? The PSS is still young. It is also the tire that dominated our latest summer tire test, and, frankly, it's one of the best-balanced summer tires on the market. But, if Michelin sat happy with the PSS and turned its undivided attention to rating restaurants, its competition would catch up on the tire front while reaping the benefits of knowing where to get the best eats.

The PSS can handle wet conditions as well as dry. However, according to Michelin, the upcoming PS4S expands the envelope of performance even further with better wet and dry braking, better lap times, and even better wear; an independent testing lab has estimated the PS4S's life at greater than 30,000 miles. Plus, it features a fuzzy, velvet-like sidewall relief like that found on the Pilot Sport Cup 2. That doesn't add anything to the performance; it's just cool to touch.

You'd better believe the new tire will serve as the original-equipment choice for a lot of spicy cars. We first noticed the PS4S at Paris on Ferrari's GTC4Lusso T and also saw it on the new Porsche Panamera at a different event. Expect to see the PS4S as original equipment on BMW, Ford, and Mercedes-AMG products, too.

Initially, we thought the new Pilot might be a Europe-only tire, which is more common than you might think. One such is the other tire Michelin introduced at the Paris auto show, the CrossClimate+, which fits into Europe's all-weather-tire category. Imagine an all-season tire on steroids. Unlike all-season tires, which are a North American phenomenon, all-weather tires have enough snow and ice grip to be eligible for the three-peak/snowflake symbol found only on designated winter tires in the U.S. and Canada. Like all-season tires, though, these all-weather tires can be driven on all year round.

The PS4S doesn't go on sale in the United States until March, initially in 34 sizes to fit 19- and 20-inch wheels. Eventually, the PS4S will completely supplant the familiar Super Sport. Then Michelin will start developing its successor, beginning, perhaps, with a meeting at a three-star restaurant.

Appreciate 1
      10-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

..now if I can just stretch my tires until March.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

30k miles? we'll see about that
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Well obviously if one were to not smoke the tires all of the time, but I have a lot of confidence that for normal everyday sane driving, 30,000 miles will be possible. I especially think so if the next M5 is in any way or form AWD, that way the rear tires aren't spinning as much.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3
..now if I can just stretch my tires until March.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Well obviously if one were to not smoke the tires all of the time, but I have a lot of confidence that for normal everyday sane driving, 30,000 miles will be possible. I especially think so if the next M5 is in any way or form AWD, that way the rear tires aren't spinning as much.
Yep I got 24k out of both sets of my PSS so 30k seems feasible
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Yes, l'm looking forward to read more about these too. I read they'll be out in January here in Europe.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Not sure my rears will last until Jan - Anyone able to get more than 10k on rear P Zeros ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingolfingLove View Post
Not sure my rears will last until Jan - Anyone able to get more than 10k on rear P Zeros ?
Yep !

12,500 Miles, just about, and now running PSS on rears.
      10-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I'm confused. I remember last time round they said they were launching the PS3 and there was a lot of hype about it. Mercedes had it fitted to some of their cars as the OEM tire. And then a few months later the PSS came out and totally eclipsed the PS3.

More recently the PS4 came out and that never even made it across the Ocean, nor did it win any OEM fitments.

Now they have the PS4S.

How do we know the PSS2 isn't coming later??

Also how does the Pilot Sport 4S compare with the Pirelli P-Zero 4?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I'm confused. I remember last time round they said they were launching the PS3 and there was a lot of hype about it. Mercedes had it fitted to some of their cars as the OEM tire. And then a few months later the PSS came out and totally eclipsed the PS3.

More recently the PS4 came out and that never even made it across the Ocean, nor did it win any OEM fitments.

Now they have the PS4S.

How do we know the PSS2 isn't coming later??

Also how does the Pilot Sport 4S compare with the Pirelli P-Zero 4?
At the Paris show Michelin apparently said they are dropping the "Super Sport" branding.
The PS4S was also fitted to the Ferrari GTC4Lusso T and the new Porsche Panamera at the show.

The GTC4Lusso T has before been shown with the Pirelli P-Zero 4, so seems both may be OEM fitment there.