BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Your favorite features or characteristics that you like in the M3 over other cars?

sorry if this is a repost I'll give myself a

I'll start. I didn't necessarly look at the IS-F or the C63 or RS4 tho I know they are the competition.

I'm sure other people will pick those for example AWD (audi) or TQ/power (MB) or whatever reason the Lexus.

My favorite M3 features:

Coupe:
-I placed an order for the M3 Coupe. While I like the Sedan as well and could be happy with that, I picked the coupe and the M3 is the only that offers Coupe/sedan/Vert which I'm sure will help it sell the others into the weeds.

CF Roof:
one feature I love is the CF roof as well as NO-SUNROOF. I am not a sunroof guy and I avoid them when I can and many cars only come with them standard. The CF is part of the reason I picked the M3.

Tranny of choice:
although I was on the fence and finally picked the DCT, I think BMW makes the best choice to let die-hard MT buyers pick one but having the DCT (should) distance the MB/Lexus with only Autos (or the RS4 only MT).

Highest RPM engine:
I prefer these screamers. I love the extra 1000 RPMs on the top and having to rev it. That said I was impressed with the low-power but I'm sure the extra revs are the sweetest. I have a S2000 and life begins at 6K+ when a lot of other engines are looking for the next gear. The M3 (I believe) has the 2nd highest redline for a V8 (to the F430 which is not a bad car to be 2nd place against).

I know many people will argue the turbo-six in the 335 is a beast and about as powerful. But I don't doubt one of the major reasons people are buying the M3 over that is b/c they love the V8 and will pay extra for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

All of these things working together. It seems so well balanced. The best part is driving it. Caveat: I've not driven one yet.

My perceptions are based upon what has been written and the E46 M3. Before I got the E46 M3, I drove several other cars. For example, I drove the 'vette. It was lighter, but the BMW felt lighter. The M3 was just more fun to drive. Not to mention the fact that it was more practical, put together better and used higher quality materials.
      03-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

good point, the Vette was high on my list, for the power as well as the low (relative) cost. But the rear seats of the M3 will be good for me with my 2 kids.

I have a 2-seat sports car (S2000) which I plan to keep a while so having a 2+2 car is handy for me.

One of the things that sold me was how close the M3 comes to the Vette performance (0-100 times etc.) in spite of the extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

My least favorite 'features' would have to be:

-GG tax / poor fuel mileage

-Cost for all the goodies (+$10K is not out of the question), I mean wish things like CA and Bluetooth were standard.

-Having to order the Tech package to get the CA and M-dynamic / M-button modes
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Hey rai, this thread is about most favorite not least favorite things. But, I agree. I hate the way they market those packages. Why can't everything be a la carte? Packages would just be common options together with a price break over that of the options alone.
      03-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Hey rai, this thread is about most favorite not least favorite things. But, I agree. I hate the way they market those packages. Why can't everything be a la carte? Packages would just be common options together with a price break over that of the options alone.

there is a good deal of savings if you want most things in the package for example the premium pack with leather and bluetooth and CF-leather trim is a good savings (but they throw in power folding mirrors and that stupid light and compass on the rearview). I mean seriously I could not care less about a compass, who am I Lewis and Clark? I mean what's that about?

WHY the heck couldn't they have thrown in the rear-parking assist with that package instead of the compass and folding mirrors (no I'll answer that b/c some people will actually want the parking assist and pay extra for that or heated seats) and no one would pay for the options on the mirrors and in fact I'd pay BMW to keep them.

Why can't they have a 'Sound Package' where if you want premium + sat + ipod they'll throw in the HD for free have all the sound options for like $2700 instead of $3200 (or whatever they all cost by themselves)?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

I've really enjoyed my AP1 S2K and plan to keep it. That gives a general idea of my automobile biases. Here are a few of my favorite aspects of the new M...

- Relatively small displacement high specific output NA engine
- High cornering limits, transitions well and turns in without significant understeering tendencies (I hate understeer)
- Has the power to pull out of slow corners and an LSD to put it to the ground
- Can be driven sideways pretty easily which is a lot of fun even though it's not necessarily the fast way around
- Seats four and can be a daily driver
- I'll get to have two cars with an 8300 RPM HP peak.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

I like the fact M stands for "More"

More revs
More HP
More money
More fuel
More weight
More performance

What? My wife just told me it stands for Motorsport? You sure, Honey? Yes, I guess that is the best part, then. That is means you are one cool guy if you own one since you are part of "Motorsport" if you do.
      03-31-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
I've really enjoyed my AP1 S2K and plan to keep it. That gives a general idea of my automobile biases. Here are a few of my favorite aspects of the new M...

- Relatively small displacement high specific output NA engine
- High cornering limits, transitions well and turns in without significant understeering tendencies (I hate understeer)
- Has the power to pull out of slow corners and an LSD to put it to the ground
- Can be driven sideways pretty easily which is a lot of fun even though it's not necessarily the fast way around
- Seats four and can be a daily driver
- I'll get to have two cars with an 8300 RPM HP peak.
My feeling exactly, and I'm keeping my 03 S2000 as well.

I figure the M3 is like TWO S2000 engine super-glued together double power and TQ (only with more TQ down low).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
I like the fact M stands for "More"

More revs
More HP
More money
More fuel
More weight
More performance

What? My wife just told me it stands for Motorsport? You sure, Honey? Yes, I guess that is the best part, then. That is means you are one cool guy if you own one since you are part of "Motorsport" if you do.
Agreed, but honestly, I think I would like a bit more power, M3 should be as fast as an M5/6!! Not slower!!! Just a bit more power should do it!!! Don't get me wrong though, I am really pleased with the car in general. Its great fun to drive and toss around!!! Really!!!
      03-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Agreed, but honestly, I think I would like a bit more power, M3 should be as fast as an M5/6!! Not slower!!! Just a bit more power should do it!!!
I agree more power wouldn't suck, but to be honest the M3 probably should not be quicker than the M6 which is a $100K car. It would stop sales of the M6 if it came out slower than the M3.

Likely the DCT will be a small bit quicker than the 6MT, maybe not in the 0-60 times (which is one shift) but with higher speeds to 100 or 120 (etc.) involving 2,3,4 shifts the quicker shift time likely will make the DCT slightly quicker.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Man I like the looks amoung other things, but damn it just looks so sweet.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
did i really not comment on this?

here:
wide body
ferrari-like F1-wannabe rev @ 8.4k
suspension
iDrive's new BJ feature
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
... and that stupid light and compass on the rearview). I mean seriously I could not care less about a compass, who am I Lewis and Clark? I mean what's that about?
The car is marketed to guys. Knowing this, guys never ask for directions. Therefore, compass and nav are offered. They make it option for guys that are married because sooner or later their wives are gonna make them stop and ask for directions.
      03-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Agreed, but honestly, I think I would like a bit more power, M3 should be as fast as an M5/6!! Not slower!!! Just a bit more power should do it!!! Don't get me wrong though, I am really pleased with the car in general. Its great fun to drive and toss around!!! Really!!!
Guys law #1: You can never have too much power.
      03-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Guys law #1: You can never have too much power.
I think I can live with law #1!!!! I will tune the car until I get the power I want!!! Hahaha!!!
      03-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Well for me it was a decision between waiting ~a year for the M3 or having a 335 coupe right then.

Things that swayed my decision:

M-Diff (HUGE factor)
8400 red line
Sound of a V8 vs. I6
CF Roof
Warranty (I would have chipped the 335)
Performance out of the box versus modding to perform
EDC
M-Drive/individual throttle bodies
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
For warrenty of the 335, you can chip it (Dinan) while keeping the warrenty.

The 335 is no comparison to the m3
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #19
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I agree more power wouldn't suck, but to be honest the M3 probably should not be quicker than the M6 which is a $100K car. It would stop sales of the M6 if it came out slower than the M3.

Likely the DCT will be a small bit quicker than the 6MT, maybe not in the 0-60 times (which is one shift) but with higher speeds to 100 or 120 (etc.) involving 2,3,4 shifts the quicker shift time likely will make the DCT slightly quicker.
I agree that is the reason it is not more powerful OE!!!! But nothing I can't fix via mods!!! My M3 will be faster than an OE M6 period!! Hahaha!!!