BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

MDM on non-iDrive...?

OK, I know this is a reach, but when I start my car the MDM light on the console lights up with all the other lights. I know it's probably just a standard template regardless of what options your car has... but I have a theory.

Something tells me there is some easter egg hidden in the three power/edc/dsc buttons which will magically light up that MDM light for me! I have absolutely nothing to base this on.. aside for the fact that my non MDM car, does in fact have an indicator light to let me know MDM is on...

I am going to continue trying button combinations until either MDM comes on or my buttons cease to work
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Goes to show you that ultimately all M3's are probably wired for Mdrive/Idrive regardless of trim....

Or maybe they didnt feel like making a different instrument clusters....

Jason
      03-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yeah the light lighting up means very little, but if you think about it all the mechanics and electronics for MDM are almost surely on all cars. In other words its unlikely MDM requires anything but additional firmware. And even then, all the firmware is probably there, just no way to engage it without iDrive. At least from the factory. Aftermarket may well find a way to open it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Everything in the E92 is computer based, the central locking settings, light settings, M Drive, service settings, seat, mirror etc...I am sure all you are paying for in these options is the ability to communicate with the computer, which is the same in all cars.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0