BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
trah23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: infinity Q45, 08 corvette z06

How essential is Mdrive to M3 driving experience (im not particularly a racer)

Quick question how essential is the mdrive to the m3? for people who got there M3's without it or anyone in general whose driven one withouth it, if I dont take Mdrive option will the car still be fun to drive and perform near its capabilties of 414 hp?
Appreciate any feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

i'm curious about that somewhat.

I was going to pass on the technology but after thinking I want the CA as well as the premium sound (both you can not get without the technology (or at least the navi) so I figure at the point you get a navi ($2K+) so it's a deal to get the technology which includes the edc and CA as well as the m-drive.

For me, I am not a racer, but it seems like the MDM is a good (fun) mode which you can not get without the technology package.

Basically the MDM (from what I can tell) allows more back-end-out driving while still having a safety net on. While if you don't get MDM you have only full on or full off for stability control. Some times (IDK about the M3) but some stability control on is too safe for fun, which is why some people want an in-between mode.

what I mean by too safe for fun, sometimes if the car does not want you to oversteer it will correct to understeer which for some is safer but less fun. Oversteer is (IMO) the way to go if anything just for fun. I mean it's a rwd car for a reason.

I figure $5K (for technology package + premium sound) is worth the money on a $60K car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
If you are going to get the M3 you might as well get all the goodies that will enable it to unleash all its peformance potential

I would never buy an M3 if I couldnt have all those features
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
trah23
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the info rai, quick question then for u or anyone, is the mdrive really then so the car can better corner and drift on a racetrack, because i dont really care about either to me all that matters is how fast it goes to 0-60 and the quartermile from a stop, so aslong as i turn off the esc the car go from a stop not be held back and do its 0-60 and quartermile its fastest (however well i can change the gears on the dct)?

And on a side note if you dont get the Mdrive does that mean the M3 wont be equipped with a digital screen on the dash?

Last edited by trah23; 03-24-2008 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
trah23
Private First Class
Rep

can anyone verify this please, id rather spend the 3200 on something else heh

Last edited by trah23; 03-25-2008 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trah23 View Post
thanks for the info rai, quick question then for u or anyone, is the mdrive really then so the car can better corner and drift on a racetrack, because i dont really care about either to me all that matters is how fast it goes to 0-60 and the quartermile from a stop, so aslong as i turn off the esc the car go from a stop not be held back and do its 0-60 and quartermile its fastest (however well i can change the gears on the dct)?

And on a side note if you dont get the Mdrive does that mean the M3 wont be equipped with a digital screen on the dash?
If 0-60 and 1/4 mile racing is important to you then the C63 sounds like a better fit for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Trah, M Drive is the short-cut button on your steering wheel that lets you recall your preferred steering-heft, suspension stiffness, throttle response and DSC setting with one press of a button. It has nothing to do with unleashing your car's potential. All it is, is a convenience feature. You can still make all the above adjustments through your iDrive, it will just take you more time. This short-cut button lets you go from your normal settings to your banzai settings (or vice versa) in an instant.

You dash will have the screen on it whether or not your car is equipped with M Drive.

P.S. MDM is a confusing abbreviation, because it could refer either to M Drive Manager (what you are asking about) or M-Dynamic Mode (a DSC setting that greatly increases the amount of wheel-spin and tail-out attitude you can experience before the electronics cut-in).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
MelsM3
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Thumbs up

IF you are a BMW M3 enthusiast...

I'd advise you to buy the E92 with:

Technology Package

M Double-Clutch Transmission

19" Forged and Polished Double Spoke Wheels

[No Moonroof]
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
MelsM3
Private
Rep

Thumbs up

The M Drive ONLY comes with the Technology Package [Greedy BMW].

The M Drive offers more/better/easier control of:

The shocks

The steering

The DSC/Trac

Engine/Trans management
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
trah23
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the info kbk_75, just wanted to make sure about one thing, so if I dont select the technology package w/e adjustments made will be shown on the dasboard, in that little digital area between the speedometer and rpm? because apparently if u dont select the technology package u dont get the main screen in the middle (above the ac/radio input), i thought the idrive would also be gone? Could u or someone clarify the deal with the idrive, and the dash display.

MelsM3, yea i had already selected the dual clutch, 19 inch, and carbon fiber for my M3, but thing is, again, im not interested in making sharp corners or drifting, so i would rather not spend the 3200 on the techno package, aslong as it doesnt effect my off the line speed because again im just interested in the M3's 0-60 and quarter mile in terms of its perfomance capabilities.

Haikaida, i actually prefer the M3 over the C63 because it looks a hell of alot better, still preforms good with its stock engine and can always have a some sort of turbo put in.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
MelsM3
Private
Rep

Smile

Quote:
MelsM3, yea i had already selected the dual clutch, 19 inch, and carbon fiber for my M3, but thing is, again, I'm not interested in making sharp corners or drifting just off the line speed.
Me neither.

I already graduated from high school.

The M3 has gotten softer in key departments since the E36 version [Due To: Wealthy/Lazy/Fat/Non-Enthusiasts].

M Drive helps to bring some back.

The M stands for MOTORSPORT, not Mom's BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:02 AM   #12
MelsM3
Private
Rep

Smile

You can even assign one "key" for middle age driving and one "key" for M driving.

Also, you can make adjustments to either "program", while you're "out and about".
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
trah23
Private First Class
Rep

Mels do u know if what k2k was saying is true , even without the techno package, the M3 still comes with the idrive for adjustments but just requires more time? if thats true where would all the info be displayed since theres no screen because u dont get the display screen in the middle if dont get the technopackage right...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:37 AM   #14
MelsM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Mel do u know if what k2k was saying is true , even without the techno package, the M3 still comes with the idrive for adjustments but just requires more time? if thats true where would all the info be displayed since theres no screen because u don't get the display screen in the middle if don't get the techno package right...
iDrive and Nav are inseparable.

As far as I know/have seen, to get the "meat" of the Tech components, you have to get the TechP.

You can get EDC as a stand alone option, but that just controls the shocks.

Obviously, BMW could have given us iDrive and great Tech components with a big screen, but extra $$$$ [Nav] is what's on their minds.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #15
trah23
Private First Class
Rep

those douchebags
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

You would only be giving up one throttle setting, one steering setting and the intermediate (between on and off) DCS setting by not getting the ZTP. Without ZTP, you can still have EDC, two throttle maps (instead of three), and the ability to turn DSC off. You will not have the nav screen or i-drive though.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #17
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Trah, sorry, I'm not familiar with the various "packages" that the U.S. market gets. Our cars' spec is quite different to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #18
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

I would get it with the Tech Package. Having the M button and the additional settings would be worth it to me. I have had iDrive in my last two BMW's and I love it. I use NAV all the time for my job. I also don't care for the looks of the dash without the second hump.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Without ZTP, you can still have EDC, two throttle maps (instead of three), and the ability to turn DSC off. You will not have the nav screen or i-drive though.
You also have no CA. Furthermore, unlike both Nav/iDrive and EDC which can be ordered individually, you cannot add CA to the car without ZTP.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #20
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

My opinion, you don't need it. Everyone on this forum seems option crazy, like the car is no good if you don't option it up to $70K. The reality is you only get a couple of additional settings, which are really only going to help you in a track situation and you get the convenience of one button to change the setting to your preferred mode. I won't be getting it and I won't miss it. So happens I will track the car but still don't think I really need it. You can opt for EDC without the Tech Package if you want the additional suspension settings, this would probably be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #21
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

--->>>http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
Quote:
Base M3s come with a Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), a nanny that reels you in when you start to get naughty. The optional M Drive system, with M Dynamic Mode (MDM), activates your own personal combination of all of the M3s complicated subsystems at the push of the M button, including the throttle response (power button), EDC, active steering system, and a sportier level of DSC, MDM. BMW claims MDM is perfect for the track, since it allows for a more wheelslip and yaw angle.

And to a certain degree, this is true. We got a chance to hammer various M3 sedans and coupes, with and without M Drive, for 10 laps around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and it was a real eye opener. Before hitting the track, I was certain all I needed was a base M3, sans the optional EDC and M-Drive systems. But after fiddling with the various button combinations, I began to see the light.

Without MDM, the base M3 is either a hairy-chested track rat or a milquetoast pansywagon, all thanks to DSC. With DSC on, there's little joy to be had in corners. Too hot, a little yaw, and suddenly you're throttled back and understeering. Click it off, however, and you better know what you're doing because the M3 will rotate as commanded, if not by you, then by the laws of physics.

With M Drive's MDM system, there's that in-between setting. We didn't have enough time to figure out exactly what the limits were, but they seemed pretty high. You can exit corners fast and tail out, and the system seems to avoid defaulting to massive fun-sucking understeer whenever possible. So would I take it? Grudgingly yes, and I'll tell you why later.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #22
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

i took delivery of my M3 yesterday... i didn't get the tech package, but i did get EDC as a standalone.

The two throttle mappings are going to be sufficient for 99.9% of the owners of the M3. I also think they did a perfect job of packaging the standalone EDC offering into 3 settings...

I really have no interest in having NAV in this car. I would much prefer to see my hood bulge instead of looking at a clunky idrive screen!

The only legit issue I could see for someone taking their car to the track is having the M dynamic mode for the DSC. If you aren't skilled enough to handle this car without DSC, but you still want to tear ass around a track 1/2 sideways in every turn... then you'll need this in-between setting.

I am 100% satisfied with my car sans-tech package!
Appreciate 0