BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

07-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

2016 X5m What Is An Appropriate Discount For Msrp Of 109,000.00?

Can anyone help me with question? I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Can anyone help me with question? I appreciate it.
10% off MSRP
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
10% off MSRP
He asked for "appropriate", not "unrealistic"? Unless he's interested in waiting till end of year and taking a leftover '16 off the lot with limited colors and options, yeah, 10% might happen.

Try around 500 over invoice could be had with alittle work. That's just under 7% or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

I got 10% off sticker back in May, but this required extensive weeks long shopping/negotiating. Vast majority of dealers were around the 6% number.

There were a couple of dealers in NJ willing to do 9% on in-stock cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post
He asked for "appropriate", not "unrealistic"? Unless he's interested in waiting till end of year and taking a leftover '16 off the lot with limited colors and options, yeah, 10% might happen.

Try around 500 over invoice could be had with alittle work. That's just under 7% or so.

Well I didn't dig around too hard, but here is one at a 9.375% discount.

Its odd ball black and has an MSRP of $112,995, so it seems it has a few options as well. Hey and its not the end of the year either, although we are headed down hill with August approaching.

With the '17 orders going in there will be some motivated dealers out there.

It would have been a little better if it had the 21's, but some prefer the 20's.

Is this offer unrealistic?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=142035654
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

A lot of it depends on where you are located, how many dealers nearby, inventory of the M on hand, etc.. I got a little lucky on mine. I have one dealer in town but they are large and had 5 yes 5 of them in Feb of this year. I negotiated roughly 8% off of mine but it took several days.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I didn't dig around too hard, but here is one at a 9.375% discount.

Its odd ball black and has an MSRP of $112,995, so it seems it has a few options as well. Hey and its not the end of the year either, although we are headed down hill with August approaching.

With the '17 orders going in there will be some motivated dealers out there.

It would have been a little better if it had the 21's, but some prefer the 20's.

Is this offer unrealistic?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=142035654
Nice find but I would say yes it is. It will take $2000 to get it to NY, where op is located and if he has a trade ( obviously guessing) it gets even more complicated er expensive. There goes the 10% down the tubes. East coast stealers don't have to come down that much which, trust me, aggrevates the crap out of me but that's how they do things.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
I got 10% off sticker back in May, but this required extensive weeks long shopping/negotiating. Vast majority of dealers were around the 6% number.

There were a couple of dealers in NJ willing to do 9% on in-stock cars.
Those dealers have now changed their minds, haha. 9% is great but that is hard to find currently.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those dealers have now changed their minds, haha. 9% is great but that is hard to find currently.
It was hard to find back in April/May as well . One of those two appears to still have the car in inventory, and it's been there since about Jan of this year.

I ended up getting mine from a DC area dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
It was hard to find back in April/May as well . One of those two appears to still have the car in inventory, and it's been there since about Jan of this year.

I ended up getting mine from a DC area dealer.
I get it totally. I had to go to Virginia for my M6! Almost went south again for my X. Problem really is, you might get a great deal at a distance but you end up spending money and time to get it back to NY area and giving back your great deal numbers. I ended up at $500 over invoice and it was nearby/uncomplicated without the hassles of out of area BS. That has to account for something... At least to me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I get it totally. I had to go to Virginia for my M6! Almost went south again for my X. Problem really is, you might get a great deal at a distance but you end up spending money and time to get it back to NY area and giving back your great deal numbers. I ended up at $500 over invoice and it was nearby/uncomplicated without the hassles of out of area BS. That has to account for something... At least to me anyway.
Yeah, logistics count of course. In my case, I simply drove down (from NJ), returned my expiring lease, picked up the new car, went into DC for a couple of hours' worth of tourist stuff, and then drove back. My daily commute is very minimal so this was also a great opportunity to drive the car for an extended period of time.

I would not entertain deals that would require me to ship the car since, as you say, the net cost is not favorable. However, a 200-300 mile radius works just fine for me. This was the first time I had to go out of state to get a significantly better deal; the 2 NJ offers at 9% didn't work for me due to color/equipment on the cars (I ended up ordering my car).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #12
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

Great deals rarely fall in your lap. I get the whole "long way off bit," but there are several aggressive dealers across the country and Im sure there are a couple in the NE. My local dealer is a shark and is why i have bought my last 4 vehicles out of state. You find a city with 5 or 6 BMW dealerships and you will likely find one that NEEDS to sell a car.

I would rather spend the money on a plane ticket and a few days off enjoying the ride home as to give it up to a sales manager that is unwilling to budge. That always makes the service intervals interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M (DG/MR)

I just got $500 over invoice on an ordered vehicle, 2017 model year. I was surprised as we're in a small(er) market and my dealer did not have an allocation for the car. (Strangely, would have bene $500 over invoice for a late 2016 order, as well, since they had to get an allocation).

I agree with comments made by a few others above that the logistics and potential cost of buying at a distance, especially with a trade (which I have), merit consideration. Plus, in a one-dealership city like mine, I think it's worth something to maintain a good relationship with the dealer. And that's probably why it only took a short 5 minute conversation to get $500 over invoice on the F85 and a top of the market trade value for my E70.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #14
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great deals rarely fall in your lap. I get the whole "long way off bit," but there are several aggressive dealers across the country and Im sure there are a couple in the NE. My local dealer is a shark and is why i have bought my last 4 vehicles out of state. You find a city with 5 or 6 BMW dealerships and you will likely find one that NEEDS to sell a car.

I would rather spend the money on a plane ticket and a few days off enjoying the ride home as to give it up to a sales manager that is unwilling to budge. That always makes the service intervals interesting.
NJ has plenty of BMW dealers (even more so if you include the NY/CT duo), but I found nearly all of them (modulo the two I mentioned at 9%) not budging much - that includes a dealer from whom I've purchased my last 3 cars from, an M model included. Now, generally speaking the more competition the better - that was certainly the case when I tested the X5 50i waters, didn't take long to get a fairly aggressive offer. M cars, on the other hand, are tougher due to limited allocations and them selling pretty well around here.

Having said that, the trick is to find the right dealer at the right time - if you give yourself some time and stay patient, you'll find one that will be much more willing to make the sale than others. Discounts above 7% (without factory incentives) dip into their holdback/reserve, which is difficult but (clearly) possible. It may even be that the same dealer will be less/more aggressive month to month (or even week to week).

All my car shopping over the years has been analogous - most dealers giving the "deal is impossible", "doesn't make sense", "if you got offered X take it before they change their mind", etc standard spiels, and inevitably (in due time) one or two show up that want to play ball.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

If you are willing to do PCD, you have an unlimited choice of dealers that you can talk to. I am in NY and got my M lease from CA with a pick up at the PC.
Also, we have a ton of leasing companies in NY and NJ that deliver unbelievable deals - you have to try them and many are legit
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
dom55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you end of getting the X5M from Wide World BMW?
      07-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #17
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom55
Quote:
Did you end of getting the X5M from Wide World BMW?
Yes and thank you. I was going to pm you but spaced!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #18
dom55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes and thank you. I was going to pm you but spaced!
No problem, happy to help and hear that it worked out. So you bought the car from Steve Meredith, right?