BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
vulcan747
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 545

What would be the best daily driver- M3 - GTR or C63?

I have a deposit on the C63 but have read a couple of test drives emphasising
the hard/harsh ride and to avoid rough roads. My next choice is the GTR but
the 10K premium over the M3 MSRP + market adjustment pricing + limited production run has me looking at the M3 and European delivery. I am sure the new DCT + EDC will make the M3 a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
yacoub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G

None of the above at the moment, honestly. GT-R has no clutch to deal with like the M3 so if you're commuting in traffic that's a plus, and it gets a bit better gas mileage than the C63 AMG (and possibly the M3 for that matter), but it's gotta be a pain to park with that long nose and chubby proportions. Maybe the M3 once the sedan w/ DCT is available that could be the most friendly for daily duty.

Last edited by yacoub; 03-23-2008 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

It's really difficult to say without know what you call "good daily driver".
Space? Ride? economy? Size?

Do you beleive the GT-R would be a good daily driver? Ok, then that's out of the list.

Most people in here will tell you the M3 is a better daily driver (and they are probably are right), unless back space and trunk accessibility is more important for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I think you basically answered your own question: the M3 with EDC and M-DCT will likely be the best of the three.

Having said that, I'd happily drive any of the them daily as I've daily-driven my 2003 M3 cab for 5 years now and I would never think of going back to something that people would call "more practical". To me there are very few cars sold today that won't make good daily drivers. Basically the dedicated track cars would probably get old, as would anything that doesn't have enough space for your gear or passengers if you have them. I would even go so far as to say that the cars that many people commute in daily such as pickup trucks, SUVs, giant floaty buicks, typical "family cars", and little shitbox economy cars that cannot handle worth a damn are the cars that really make the poorest daily drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
The definition of a DD is going to vary for everyone.

For me, a DD means:

- Four comfortable seats
- Enough boot space for two large and two small bags
- Comfortable clearance over kerbs/speed humps
- Refined NVH levels

The M3 delivers on all of those plus provides a huge amount of joy at WOT and around the twisties.

I am not convinced the C63 gives good ride quality and NVH levels for DD driving, or that the GTR provides reasonable rear seat accomodation and boot space.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
MelsM3
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Thumbs up

M3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

I love the GT-R, and am considering getting one, and it would be my only car.

That said, the additional practicality of the M3 might sway me. The M3 with EDC and DCT will allow you to set the car up as a softer sprung auto transmission like car for bumper to bumper highway driving, and the addition of folding rear seats would greatly add to the flexability of the M3.

So I'd say the M3 wins.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I would take any NA car over the high tech computer run twin turboed GTR as far as daily driving is concerned. If you look at Edmunds GTR review video you get a glimps of the GTR's weakness when all the warning lights flash on after the magazines second attempt at a launch controlled 0-60 run....

Jason
      03-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
jilTed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318ti

Garage List
1995 318ti  [0.00]
Love the GTR....but I guess I am not buying it for the heavy markup over MSRP...the dealer says its there so drive regulars away....I hung up the phone...the next day drove the demo e92 at the delear with MT and loved it so...cant even imagine with the DCT will be like...bye bye GTR....ironically the Nissan dealership is next door to BMW....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
AW_M3
///M
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/FR Extended

in my opinion it depends on what you really want? speed? space? design?practical car?
some reasons why i wont pick a GTR:
Manual (gotta suck at heavy traffic)
Design ( the M3 got the best design of the 3 cars)
seriously i think ppl who take a GTR think of SPEED only,, like u r racing everyday at the street
GTR is a great car but as i said b4 it depends on what u really want
for me ill go M3 all the way because ive driven an E46 and its an amazing car i fell in love with her since day one, now im waiting for the E92 and i dont know how much better this car will be than the E46.. i hope MUCH better
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

I am currently thinking which I should get a M3 or a GTR?

I can't get my hands on a GTR soon and I don't want to pay $20K over sticker so the M3 is a better choice since (with mark-ups) the GTR is about $15K to $25K more.

My problem is I am only getting one or the other so if I pass on the GTR it's now or never. I plan to retire in 10 years so I don't want to be spending $70K+ on more than one car so if I get the M3 now I'll never get the GTR.

My other idea is to get something much cheaper like a 3-series or a 1-series and wait out the GTR hope they will have no mark-ups in a few years. But probably I can live with the M3 and it's has better rear seats which I like so I don't need to change cars if I'm picking the kids up or whatever.

I know the GTR is more powerful and faster but I don't drive that fast and probably the M3 is fast enough for the way I drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan747 View Post
I have a deposit on the C63 but have read a couple of test drives emphasising
the hard/harsh ride and to avoid rough roads. My next choice is the GTR but
the 10K premium over the M3 MSRP + market adjustment pricing + limited production run has me looking at the M3 and European delivery. I am sure the new DCT + EDC will make the M3 a pleasure to drive.
Well the price difference between the GT-R and M3 is bit more over 10k.

It has been said in reviews that the rear seats of the GT-R will fit small children at best. So rule out carrying 4 grown adults in the GT-R. This is a guess, but I bet you will find more room in the C63, plus its a BEAST.

Motor Trend comparo: C63 v M3 v IS-F

"The BMW is lithe and athletic yet never punishing, and it comes in a package you can use and enjoy every day."

A good read:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

I am sure you won't be dissapointed by either car.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
When I did my M3 test drive I made sure to take it on some of the shittiest roads near the dealer, and in the New Orleans area, that's saying something. I was extremely pleased with EDC comfort in that setting...
Appreciate 0