Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Bvt13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Midpipe DIY Install Experiences

I recently purchased the AA midpipe for my F82 and am considering doing a diy install myself using ramps. I'll be linking it up with the stock muffler for now. Does anyone have experience doing the midpipe install themselves, and how difficult was it.

I have done downpipe installs myself on a N55, so assuming it is at least that easy I'm hoping it will be feasible. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences or advice for little issues that popped up when installing the midpipe.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
It should be easier than a DP install. Does AA provide measurements indicating where to cut the oem rear box off.... if they do that it should be smooth sailing
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
SSR Performance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: S55 -F80 / N54 -135i / N55-535

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
It should be easier than a DP install. Does AA provide measurements indicating where to cut the oem rear box off.... if they do that it should be smooth sailing
Yup! What he said. AA does provide measurements on where to cut. So as long as you have the correct tools to cut the exhaust where need be, it's easy as pie.

If you've done an N55 downpipe, this install will comparatively be a breeze. Might not be a bad idea to have an extra set of hands to support the midpipes since you'll be doing it on your back. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Performance View Post
correct tools to cut the exhaust where need be, it's easy as pie.

:
by correct tools , I assum a sawzaw will do?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
SSR Performance
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
by correct tools , I assum a sawzaw will do?
Yup! That's all you should need.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Bvt13
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Performance View Post
Yup! What he said. AA does provide measurements on where to cut. So as long as you have the correct tools to cut the exhaust where need be, it's easy as pie.

If you've done an N55 downpipe, this install will comparatively be a breeze. Might not be a bad idea to have an extra set of hands to support the midpipes since you'll be doing it on your back. Good luck!
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll have a cutting tool so the exhaust cut shouldn't be a problem. Only thing that really looked like it might be a bit of a challenge was reaching the top bolts for the midpipe/downpipe alignment plate from my back - but hopefully a ratchet extension can sort that out okay.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
SSR Performance
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvt13 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll have a cutting tool so the exhaust cut shouldn't be a problem. Only thing that really looked like it might be a bit of a challenge was reaching the top bolts for the midpipe/downpipe alignment plate from my back - but hopefully a ratchet extension can sort that out okay.
It's not as difficult / tight as it may seem. A decent length wobble extension will help, but even with a regular extension you should be fine. Worst case you may have to remove an extra side undertray to get the very top left most downpipe to midpipe nut. Also, soak them in PB blaster, makes your life a lot easier!

-Shah
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvt13 View Post
I recently purchased the AA midpipe for my F82 and am considering doing a diy install myself using ramps. I'll be linking it up with the stock muffler for now. Does anyone have experience doing the midpipe install themselves, and how difficult was it.

I have done downpipe installs myself on a N55, so assuming it is at least that easy I'm hoping it will be feasible. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences or advice for little issues that popped up when installing the midpipe.

Thanks!

Super easy install.
Just check your cutting marks.
Other then that, it is straight forward and no other possible issues for this install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvt13

Thanks!
Will your exhaust bedrock other than the midpipes after the install? Would love to hear a sound clip if so, thinking about going the same route.

Any downside to going to a single pipe? Why didn't bmw go this route themselves? I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to this.

Good luck with the install!
      07-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Bvt13
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage
Quote:

Thanks!
Will your exhaust bedrock other than the midpipes after the install? Would love to hear a sound clip if so, thinking about going the same route.

Any downside to going to a single pipe? Why didn't bmw go this route themselves? I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to this.

Yep all stock aside from midpipe. This does delete both secondary cats and the resonator, so it's more than just a switch to a y-style pipe compared to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
stuggy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage
Quote:

Thanks!

Not to thread jack, but here's a some sound clips I have of my set up. All stock except the AA midpipe. Hope it gives you a good idea!

Appreciate 5
      07-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuggy View Post
Not to thread jack, but here's a some sound clips I have of my set up. All stock except the AA midpipe. Hope it gives you a good idea!

Excellent video !
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Sounds great!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

If youtube clips are to be trusted, this is easily my favorite sounding exhaust setup for our car. Sounds like the AA team were able to fully eliminate that plug-in air compressor sound of the stock system. In fact, this setup kind of reminds of the the exhaust note produced by the new 991.2 Carrera.

Last edited by Celestion; 07-15-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

this video sold me on the AA midpipe great work
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

This mid pipe sounds great with stock Exhuast. Had some fitment issues but it was installation error and resolved.

Last edited by jetbill; 08-02-2016 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
agutto2.00
      08-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
jetbill
Captain
Rep

One more of the overall system.
Attached Images

08-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Bill, I'm glad you're happy with the performance/sound of our mid pipe!

I replied to your email but also want to provide some info here as well.

The mid pipe will fit with the center brace, but you need to adjust it accordingly prior to tightening any clamps. The position of the ball clamps in the front and the rear clamps to the rear muffler must all be in the correct position before you tighten them.

There should be a lot more clearance between the two rear pipes and the differential and the single portion should have no issues clearing the brace.

Who did the install for you? PSI in Orlando and Tuning Dynamics in Tampa are dealers of ours with full workshops as well and I'm sure any of them would be happy to help you with the install if you are still having issues after this.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #19
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke

The mid pipe will fit with the center brace, but you need to adjust it accordingly prior to tightening any clamps. The position of the ball clamps in the front and the rear clamps to the rear muffler must all be in the correct position before you tighten them.

There should be a lot more clearance between the two rear pipes and the differential and the single portion should have no issues clearing the brace.

Who did the install for you? PSI in Orlando and Tuning Dynamics in Tampa are dealers of ours with full workshops as well and I'm sure any of them would be happy to help you with the install if you are still having issues after this.
David thanks for the help, I think we have it worked out. The sound is amazing.
      11-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post

Gonna resurrect this. Installed a new AA midpipe on my f80 and clearance around the rear diff is as little as 1/4" in some spots. Anyone down there I can talk to?

Sent a message through your site but never got a response.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #21
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Quote:
Hey,

Best Video - Sound clip I've seen!

Most do not truly highlight the different modes - they usually all sound the same.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #22
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Maybe this will help

Appreciate 2
Dr._Who124.50
J-rock9.00