GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Exhaust Flaps and their intricacies!

OK guys, I'm a little confused at the operation of the exhaust flaps on the ZCP and the various criteria for their opening protocol.

Tell me if i'm right on the below here please:
  • Upon cold start,the valves are completely closed to keep noise down.
  • The valves open partially in sport mode and more so in sport+ but not always guaranteed 100% open.
  • If you push ignition on, press sport and then start engine the noise will be louder.
  • You can manually disconnect the valves to have them fully open at all times.
  • The CG controller remote allows fully open, fully closed and stock settings only?
  • Whats the best option to maintain the cold start sound (i leave at 4.30am most mornings) but also be able to cold start with them open on other occasions.
  • Cost and distributer for CG controller?

Thanks for taking the time to answer for those who do.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

Valves are fully closed on a close start

Eco - always shut, sport - open more of the time, Sport plus - open a bit more than sport. Valves will never be open all the time in any mode

switch ignition on, put into sport plus and press Pedal. Valves now open on cold start

Valve controller has diff options, I have mine as default set to oem settings. When I switch it on it opens valves fully

Valves can be disconnected for more noise but I wouldn't recommend. Had this done until last week for the last 5 months. Connections in the connections were all corroded despite me taping them up to stop this

Valve controller is the way forward, fitted mine last week and it's great. Quiet when u want and balls out when u don't. I have the secondary cats removed also along with backbox mod

I bought from here:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BMW-2015...123?nav=SEARCH

Basically cost me £150 delivered and I've not been hit with customs charges.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyali86 View Post
Valves are fully closed on a close start

Eco - always shut, sport - open more of the time, Sport plus - open a bit more than sport. Valves will never be open all the time in any mode

switch ignition on, put into sport plus and press Pedal. Valves now open on cold start

Valve controller has diff options, I have mine as default set to oem settings. When I switch it on it opens valves fully

Valves can be disconnected for more noise but I wouldn't recommend. Had this done until last week for the last 5 months. Connections in the connections were all corroded despite me taping them up to stop this

Valve controller is the way forward, fitted mine last week and it's great. Quiet when u want and balls out when u don't. I have the secondary cats removed also along with backbox mod
Info much appreciated buddy. Many thanks.

So You reckon the CG controller is the way to go? Can i ask where you purchased?

Edit: just saw link!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Hello,

Not sure about all the questions , however I'm running a CG controller on default open and activated OEM, so on start up and all day running its open and only if I activate they will close, this never happens btw it's loud so I assume CP will be better, if your near Glasgow at some point I can let you hear it

You can configure any way you want so you could do default closed and activated open to give you the standard start, less noise.

Roughly 200 pounds delivered with the tax paid on delivery, fitted in 30 minutes, just done my second one of a friends vert.

Hope this helps
John
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep

Yeh mate, well worth it IMO. I had todo it after modding exhaust as it was just far too loud on a cold start
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees
Hello,

Not sure about all the questions , however I'm running a CG controller on default open and activated OEM, so on start up and all day running its open and only if I activate they will close, this never happens btw it's loud so I assume CP will be better, if your near Glasgow at some point I can let you hear it

You can configure any way you want so you could do default closed and activated open to give you the standard start, less noise.

Roughly 200 pounds delivered with the tax paid on delivery, fitted in 30 minutes, just done my second one of a friends vert.

Hope this helps
John
I'm in Glasgow too, Scottish meet!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a plan, I met a few guys at a BMW day at KH track a few weeks ago and we were talking about a meet up at some point, be good get get some M 3/4's locally to meet up?

Cheers
John
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Hello,

Hope this helps
John
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like a plan, I met a few guys at a BMW day at KH track a few weeks ago and we were talking about a meet up at some point, be good get get some M 3/4's locally to meet up?

Cheers
John
Thanks guys. Just purchased it.

Im based just outside of Glasgow too so would be well up for a Scottish meet.

I dont get my car until September though so you'll need to bare with me! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeh mate, well worth it IMO. I had todo it after modding exhaust as it was just far too loud on a cold start
Where did you get your exhaust mod done mate?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep

I got it done from Paulwelder. I put a link of his website on Ades thread along with a video

There you go mate
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #11
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I got it done from Paulwelder. I put a link of his website on Ades thread along with a video

There you go mate
He's down South is he not?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Thanks guys. Just purchased it.

Im based just outside of Glasgow too so would be well up for a Scottish meet.

I dont get my car until September though so you'll need to bare with me! Lol.
Your welcome to meet up anyway, give you a look round a few cars while you wait!
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #13
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep

Yeh he is, he made the trip up as a few people in Scotland wanted work done
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your welcome to meet up anyway, give you a look round a few cars while you wait!
Appreciate that mate.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeh he is, he made the trip up as a few people in Scotland wanted work done
Ahh bugger!

Might need to see if I can organise that when I get mine.

Car sounds mint! Take it youre happy?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep

He makes trips up quite often for forum members as long as enough people want it done.

Yes bud very happy. It sounds very close to the mpe and is not too obnoxious which is what I was after
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He makes trips up quite often for forum members as long as enough people want it done.

Yes bud very happy. It sounds very close to the mpe and is not too obnoxious which is what I was after
Excellent.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #18
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

http://www.cgprecision.com is where I bought the controller from.. Defo a great buy.

You're spot on with your observations. Ask Gtsussex as he has pretty much sussed it out

I love it when you start up with valves closed and then press 'on' and the valves open and the depth of sound more than doubles.. And if you put it in sport straight away and drive off before the revs regulate the exhaust sound is amazing.. Everyone can here it and turns for a second look

I had my valves unplugged left open for a few weeks but found I wanted them closed on motorway runs to stop drone. CG controller is spot on. I paid about £200 including import taxes from the US.

I believe the valves stay open on oem start up when warm in all settings and then close. But remain open in sport +? Can Guy confirm? When in sp+ you get the lovely pops and crackles on the over run so assume valves are open then too?
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 12:50 AM   #19
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
http://www.cgprecision.com is where I bought the controller from.. Defo a great buy.

You're spot on with your observations. Ask Gtsussex as he has pretty much sussed it out

I love it when you start up with valves closed and then press 'on' and the valves open and the depth of sound more than doubles.. And if you put it in sport straight away and drive off before the revs regulate the exhaust sound is amazing.. Everyone can here it and turns for a second look

I had my valves unplugged left open for a few weeks but found I wanted them closed on motorway runs to stop drone. CG controller is spot on. I paid about £200 including import taxes from the US.

I believe the valves stay open on oem start up when warm in all settings and then close. But remain open in sport +? Can Guy confirm? When in sp+ you get the lovely pops and crackles on the over run so assume valves are open then too?
Thanks buddy! Bought a CG controller last night!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #20
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post

On the CP on warm starts, the valves open briefly before closing. Standard car they remain closed (unless you force them open either by preselecting Sport, press pedal, disconnect on open or have CG). It's the biggest difference between the two cars and I can quite see why people have a CG.

In efficient, the valves will open over 4k with foot down.

Sport and Sport + - valves close at constant speed or low revs.

I've kept my CG controller so far as noise at startup is hilarious. But with the CP, it's not needed anywhere as much as standard car as software already opens valves a lot more anyway.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 02:41 AM   #21
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
On the CP on warm starts, the valves open briefly before closing. Standard car they remain closed (unless you force them open either by preselecting Sport, press pedal, disconnect on open or have CG). It's the biggest difference between the two cars and I can quite see why people have a CG.

I've kept my CG controller so far as noise at startup is hilarious. But with the CP, it's not needed anywhere as much as standard car as software already opens valves a lot more anyway.
Thanks for that info Guy.

I had watched your video where you thought the CG was not that necessary due to the CP differing from stock.

I think i'll make some use out of the CG controller so took the plunge anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #22
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post

I need someone to check my non-CP car because in Sport mode I think it is loud. The C63 I test drove needed the optional performance exhaust but I don't think the M3 does (so long as it is in Sport mode, which is my default setting anyway). I don't want any louder but I would like more burble.
Appreciate 0