Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-16-2016, 02:43 AM   #1
M3-F80
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M3. DCT

UK Insurance question

This may be a dumb question but thought I'd ask you all here anyway, so here goes!

I ordered my M3 in March 2014 and took delivery in June, at that time it was not possible to place an order to include an MPE exhaust, CF splitters/front lip and rear diffuser (which you now can) and which I have subsequently added.

My question to you all is, has my car been 'modified' for insurance purposes thus requiring a declaration?

Thoughts....
      06-16-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:21 AM   #3
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Some insurers require listing of all OEM options. Essential to check rather than find insurance void. I saw somewhere that police in Birmingham are tackling boy racers by checking if mods are declared for insurance and if not (and the insurance therefore void) prosecuting for driving without insurance resulting in fine and penalty points.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes.
      06-16-2016, 03:53 AM   #5
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Why don't you speak to the insurer and let us know what they say?
      06-16-2016, 04:22 AM   #6
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Better to be safe and speak to your insurer.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Howlett
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 SO DCT CP

If the parts are on the original order does the insurance company need to be told?
      06-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlett View Post
If the parts are on the original order does the insurance company need to be told?
All you can do is ask your own insurer. Each one may have their own policy on these things so I don't think one rule fits all!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlett View Post
Ask your insurance company practice differs.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

try sky insurance

didnt add anything for my mods
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

I'm with admiral and had most of the Mperformance kit and MPE added to the car on delivery. i asked them and they were quite straight forward about it. They said if these parts aren't listed on the policy then should the car be damaged and those parts are claimed for then they wont be replaced. for example a rear end shunt when you are taking into account a rear diffuser, rear spoiler and potentially an MPE with carbon tips would be "fixed" as a standard car with a standard exhaust replaced and no mperformance parts fitted if you haven't listed them on the policy. they actually wanted to know about ALL options I've spec'd from the base model so including things like side view cameras, black alloys, etc etc so they are all covered within the policy. without listing then they assume the car is base spec, no frills and that's what they would fix should the need arise regardless of whats on your order form from the dealer.

the uplift in price because of these extras was about £40 i think which I'm more than happy with to cover the mperformance stuff.

but as stated all companies vary in this policy so your best bet is to ask your insurer. if you are worried about ensuing increased cost then ask then what the price would be "if" you added these bits. and then take a view after if you reveal the reality to them or not.

good luck.. i hate talking to insurance companies..
      06-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Is the exhaust now on the official options list for factory fitment then??
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

This thread just cost me another fifty quid. My car came with carbon/black package so I kept screenshots of the advert as evidence "that's how it came". However, just called Directline, explained it and stated it's a pre-registered car so I don't know what exactly came out of the factory. Anyhow, they charged me the extra premium for the remaining three months. Good thing is they have this listed as a known mod so should the unfortunate happen, they shouldn't make excuses.

edit: they also confirmed activating the already installed tracker won't make a difference to premium (obviously because no insurance company wants to give a refund!)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #14
M3-F80
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M3. DCT

Thanks for the replies, here is what I've discovered!

Apparently according to my dealer, if I was to place an order for a new 2016 M3/M4 with additional M performance parts, the car will still leave Germany WITHOUT these parts fitted as the fitment takes place here at the dealership, surprised...........I was!

I then got in touch with my insurance company (Aviva) with whom I had this discussion and despite a dealer order that shows the car delivered as spec'd, because the parts are fitted after manufacture they would have to be considered as modifications.

I kinda knew in my situation I'd have no option but to declare them but I'm somewhat surprised by the foregoing, having said that I've declared mine and its only added about £60 to my premium which in the grand scheme of things is nothing really when considered and it also gives you the piece of mind knowing that if the worst happened you'll be fully covered.

We all know the flip side to this and what happens (potentially) if they're not declared, its my belief that insurance companies will always look for ways and means not to pay out, so better safe than sorry.

So as mentioned before in this thread, its better to have an honest discussion with your insurer and advise them what's been done to the car as different insurers may have different policies to mine and who knows, you may get lucky as it basically comes down to what they consider as a modification.
      06-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-F80 View Post
its my belief that insurance companies will always look for ways and means not to pay out
Ain't that the truth. When I first insured my UK-registered M135i, I was using the no-claims discount built up with my Dutch insurance company. The UK insurance company granted me the full no-claims discount based on that and they said they don't need to see proof. This led me to believe that it's easier and cheaper for them to just get my custom first, and should I have to claim, they would then leave no stone unturned to find a way of not paying out. Less time consuming for them and a win-win situation.
Appreciate 0