BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

What's a reasonable price to pay to get my car detailed?

I have to admit, before I started to read the forum, I would never have considered having my new car detailed, but seeing some of the results and understanding the benefits of a decent coating I'm now considering adding it to "the list"!

I've sort of come to the conclusion that G-Tecniq seems to be the coating of choice, but I've had some wide ranging quotes - from £400 to almost double! I understand some of the G-Tecniq coatings are different so I would expect a degree of variation, but this seems a lot.

So what's reasonable?

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitam
I have to admit, before I started to read the forum, I would never have considered having my new car detailed, but seeing some of the results and understanding the benefits of a decent coating I'm now considering adding it to "the list"!

I've sort of come to the conclusion that G-Tecniq seems to be the coating of choice, but I've had some wide ranging quotes - from £400 to almost double! I understand some of the G-Tecniq coatings are different so I would expect a degree of variation, but this seems a lot.

So what's reasonable?
It'll vary on what you have done. I paid £800 but I had the most expensive coating option and all of the car done inc interior, seats, glass inside and out, exhaust and both sides of wheels.

Best money I ever spent - car looks fantastic after wash with not a swirl mark on site and the CP wheels take no time to clean.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
You can get it detailed for as low as £200, it depends on the level.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
JacksoB
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 in Mineral Grey

Garage List
2016 F83  [0.00]
2014 Discovery HSE Lux  [0.00]
I see you're in Surrey? Me too, and I paid about £350 for a full inside and out using a firm not too far away from me. He didn't use a G-Techniq coating but instead a brand called Kamikaze. Another chap on here used the same firm. I was and am still incredibly pleased with the results, washing is easy, I still get high gloss 3 months later and any mark on any interior surface seems to wipe off with ease. I suspect G-techniq is another level up, but I struggled to find anyone accredited near to me and so I gave up and went for something else. PM me if you'd like his details (an earlier thread of mine has some pics of it just after picking it up post detailing - that was a good day)
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

There is also Opti-Coat / Opti-Guard.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=350399

... And cost should be less than £400 for external & internal.

See the post link above for level of work done.
      06-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Howlett
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 SO DCT CP

Jumping on the thread and asking if anybody has a recommended detailer in Manchester?
      06-14-2016, 01:49 AM   #7
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
A new car detail with minor paint correction and wax / sealant is around the £200 mark.

For a ceramic coating you are looking around the £500 mark from the prices I have been quoted. it's normally a 2 day booking also due to curing times.

I'm lazy and don't even wash my cars anymore as my detailer does it for me. Especially in the winter.

My 335d had 0 swirls, scratches or marks due to this.

it's money well spent and I would recommend a professional detail without question.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #8
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My 330D touring was £350 first time then £475 the second time due to extra correction work to sort out the mess the bodyshop made of the paint finish.

The M3 was £325 each time Gtechniq products all over
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlett View Post
Jumping on the thread and asking if anybody has a recommended detailer in Manchester?
http://www.devilledetailing.co.uk

Based in Cheadle Hulme. Done 3 of my cars and the F80 will be going in September.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #10
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - YMB delivered 1/3/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlett View Post
Not sure where you are in Manchester but the guys behind this place always detail my car in Harrogate.

This new facility is in Chester http://apmcustoms.co.uk/gtechniq/
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
It'll vary on what you have done. I paid £800 but I had the most expensive coating option and all of the car done inc interior, seats, glass inside and out, exhaust and both sides of wheels.

Best money I ever spent - car looks fantastic after wash with not a swirl mark on site and the CP wheels take no time to clean.
Hi Guy,

I'm looking to have this done too, when I get the car back from having the bumper sorted. I've got a guy near me in Essex (Definitive Detail) who uses all the GTechniq products. you can get a price on line but do you know what products your guy used? I have the option of C2 Liquid Crystal, EXO, Crystal Serum Light, Crystal Serum Light topped with EXO, Crystal Serum, CS Black – Crystal Serum topped with EXO.... and the price increases quite steeply respectively...

like you, this guy charges about £800 (when I opted for middle of the road Crystal Serum Light topped with EXO), which I thought was pretty steep. It does include all interior, wheels, leather, rubbers you name it.. and will take 15 hours...

just curious whether I would be getting just as good results when using the cheaper C2 liquid crystal over the serum and black stuff?

is GTechniq the best and recommended products to use?

cheers
D
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Hi Guy,

I'm looking to have this done too, when I get the car back from having the bumper sorted. I've got a guy near me in Essex (Definitive Detail) who uses all the GTechniq products. you can get a price on line but do you know what products your guy used? I have the option of C2 Liquid Crystal, EXO, Crystal Serum Light, Crystal Serum Light topped with EXO, Crystal Serum, CS Black – Crystal Serum topped with EXO.... and the price increases quite steeply respectively...

like you, this guy charges about £800 (when I opted for middle of the road Crystal Serum Light topped with EXO), which I thought was pretty steep. It does include all interior, wheels, leather, rubbers you name it.. and will take 15 hours...

just curious whether I would be getting just as good results when using the cheaper C2 liquid crystal over the serum and black stuff?

cheers
D
Hi mate

I used GTechniq as the MD is an old mate of mine so wouldn't have considered anything else. Thankfully it's also very good indeed. I had CS Black and literally everything on the car was covered with relative other potions. I went for CS Black as Rob (MD) told me the finish is just that much better and is brilliant for resisting dirt. Can't fault it - pressure wash gets rid of pretty much everything before I even get as far as getting my warm mitt on the car!

I am sure the lesser products are still good but felt if I was going to all the hassle, might as well do it properly.

Cheers
Guy
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Hi mate

I used GTechniq as the MD is an old mate of mine so wouldn't have considered anything else. Thankfully it's also very good indeed. I had CS Black and literally everything on the car was covered with relative other potions. I went for CS Black as Rob (MD) told me the finish is just that much better and is brilliant for resisting dirt. Can't fault it - pressure wash gets rid of pretty much everything before I even get as far as getting my warm mitt on the car!

I am sure the lesser products are still good but felt if I was going to all the hassle, might as well do it properly.

Cheers
Guy
ah ha... handy pal to know!

ok, sounds like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the full works done... I hope the next person to own my M3 appreciates the work and expense gone into this car so far and in the future!! my Porsche didn't get any such treatment. I was still in shock that I managed to get it I suppose.
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guy,

cheers
D
I think.... The crystal serum lasts for 7 years!

I have it on mine with EXO, the EXO needs re-applying more regularly I believe.

When I wash my car, as Guy said the dirt just comes off mainly with just a pressure washer. Water repels while your driving is cool to see too.

I've bought a load of Gtec products to use at home too, so it get regular leather protection and I use one of their products C2 mixed 50-50 with water as a drying aid. Works beautifully.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway-85 View Post
I think.... The crystal serum lasts for 7 years!

I have it on mine with EXO, the EXO needs re-applying more regularly I believe.

When I wash my car, as Guy said the dirt just comes off mainly with just a pressure washer. Water repels while your driving is cool to see too.

I've bought a load of Gtec products to use at home too, so it get regular leather protection and I use one of their products C2 mixed 50-50 with water as a drying aid. Works beautifully.
nice one mate, thanks for that. so you say get it done with the good stuff by a pro and then top it up every 6 months yourself?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Is nobody put off CS because of the correction issues? I thought it had to be wet sanded to correct so no light DIY correction with a DA are anything?

Last edited by ajfoggy; 06-14-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
Is nobody put off CS because of the correction issues? I thought it had to be wet sanded to correct so no light DIY correction with a DA are anything?
Nick at SL Restorations said to just drop back as and if necessary. I'll clean it but anything else, will go to him.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
taitam
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=JacksoB;20097761]I see you're in Surrey? Me too, and I paid about £350 for a full inside and out using a firm not too far away from me. He didn't use a G-Techniq coating but instead a brand called Kamikaze. Another chap on here used the same firm. I was and am still incredibly pleased with the results, washing is easy, I still get high gloss 3 months later and any mark on any interior surface seems to wipe off with ease. I suspect G-techniq is another level up, but I struggled to find anyone accredited near to me and so I gave up and went for something else. PM me if you'd like his details (an earlier thread of mine has some pics of it just after picking it up post detailing - that was a good day)[/QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to your contact. He says he has used all the brands but finds G-Techniq drys quite hard and can crack on sharp edges. He also made a comment that the G-Techniq technology was a few years old now and other products may be better as they are more flexible when dry. I'm sure they are all a shed load better than the GardX my dealer is recommending!

Anyway, to cut a long story short I've booked the car in later this month. Once again, thanks for the recommendation.

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #19
Howlett
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 SO DCT CP

Norway 85, thanks for the link, their site is pretty comprehensive but I think I'll get a quote from ajfoggys guys as I'm based in altrincham.
Mr Foggy (it's to soon to just go with aj!) do you plan on just a new car detail or will you be taking one of the sealant protection as well?
      06-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #20
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
nice one mate, thanks for that. so you say get it done with the good stuff by a pro and then top it up every 6 months yourself?
You have to get the crystal syrum applied by a pro, if you fuck it up, its a sand down and re-paint job i'm lead to believe.

It's worth it though imo. When you wash the car for the first time its pretty special.

This is the link to mine when they done it

http://reepdetailing.co.uk/portfolio.php?galleryCat=198
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #21
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M SPORT

detailers

will be getting my car from cobham area anyone know any good detailers in that area who will do the job at the dealership thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #22
taitam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbsy999 View Post
will be getting my car from cobham area anyone know any good detailers in that area who will do the job at the dealership thanks
Nibbys999 - I'm guessing I collected my car from the same dealer and I tried the same thing. The challenge was knowing the delivery date and finding a detailer who had the time to do the work on the same day. Main problem was knowing the delivery date, so it proved impossible to synch the two up. Also, in my case, I don't think I could have contained myself knowing it was at the dealer and not driving it away immediately!!

I'm taking mine to a detailer on Monday as I'm off on a business trip for a few days. I'll let you know when I get back on Wednesday how it works out.

Appreciate 0