Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
M4Raaj
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D M Sport

To Comp Pack or not to Comp Pack

Hello All

I really need the help deciding if to order my new M4 with a Competition Pack?

Basically I had ordered a M4 a couple of weeks ago as some of you know, which was a non Comp-Pack as it was a prebuilt car and it was something that other half liked. However since then me and the ball of chain are going our separate ways and I've cancelled the car, lost my deposit and the dealer was very rude and and basically accused me of being a lier!

So I had to go else where now the dilemma I have is that I'm putting together a factory order and the dealer is giving me the same deal as the last one on the same price as the car I can cancelled.

As I don't want to increase the monthly payments and keep everything the same, options such as the Comp-pack and LED lights I will have to pay for on delivery of the car.

I know loads of you have ordered M cars with the CP however I'm not sure if it really justifies the additional outlay. I'm not a big fan of the CP wheels however I do like everything else. Also I'm thinking when I come to selling or treading it in will it be easier or will there just be loads of CP version around?

Your help would be really be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

When you read the reviews (and there are a few) they all recommended going for the CP. They say it makes the car it should have been (only quoting and not saying there is anything wrong with the standard car!)

It's one of the things that made me decide to go for an M3.

What you should do is ask for a quote with a without out as on PCP, it may not make as much a difference to the monthlies as you think due to it increasing the GFV. So in effect, its like adding a £1500-£2000 option rather than a £3K option.

And I would certainly go for it over LED lights, for in effect the same money!!!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 06-13-2016 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Few reviews........

"The Competition Package improvements do enough to nudge the M3 back up to a five-star car. CAR was disappointed by 2014's four-door, which felt like a step back from the brilliant E90-era V8. Now with 2016's upgrades, it feels like the M3 is back on its game."
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...e-2016-review/

"The payback, however, is that the rear end of the car is now much better controlled than before. Early M3s and M4s felt wayward over crests and undulations, but the Competition Package upgrade has tied the rear end down much more tautly. You can now send the car into a sequence of bends and over humps and bumps without having to give it time to gather itself. "

http://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m4/17493/bm...the-m4s-faults

"Throw in the swagger of bigger, shinier wheels, black gloss exterior trim and the slightly deeper melody of the sports exhaust, and the Competition Pack’s £3k premium easily qualifies as a no-brainer. Which is handy, because BMW expects as many as 80% of UK buyers to take up the option. I certainly would.

Its addition doesn’t perhaps elevate the F80 to classic status, but it makes the M3 feel like a far more complete and likeable solution than previously - and while we wait for quattro GmbH and Jaguar to see to the new A4 and XE respectively, that graduation comprehensively marks it out as the compact sports saloon to beat."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...on-pack-review

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #4
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAJ
Hello All

Basically I had ordered a M4 a couple of weeks ago as some of you know, which was a non Comp-Pack as it was a prebuilt car and it was something that other half liked. However since then me and the ball of chain are going our separate ways and I've cancelled the car, lost my deposit and the dealer was very rude and and basically accused me of being a lier!

So I had to go else where now the dilemma I have is that I'm putting together a factory order and the dealer is giving me the same deal as the last one on the same price as the car I can cancelled.

As I don't want to increase the monthly payments and keep everything the same, options such as the Comp-pack and LED lights I will have to pay for on delivery of the car.

I know loads of you have ordered M cars with the CP however I'm not sure if it really justifies the additional outlay. I'm not a big fan of the CP wheels however I do like everything else. Also I'm thinking when I come to selling or treading it in will it be easier or will there just be loads of CP version around?

you shouldn't have lost a deposit on an existing car. get onto BMW UK. they have no right to keep your money.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
JovanUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 F83 CP, '18 M140i SHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
you shouldn't have lost a deposit on an existing car. get onto BMW UK. they have no right to keep your money.
They do if the car has been ordered and/or being built. From then on, you lose your deposit, no matter if it is £500 or £5,000.

"If it depreciates, lease it. If it appreciates, buy it."
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
JovanUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAJ View Post
Hello All

Depends. If you dont like the wheels, maybe saving some money and going standard is the best bet, as the CP car is only a collection of small things, not a huge, very-noticeable difference.

If you are paying monthly though, splitting the cost of the comp package up should not be too much of a hit if you were to select the CP.

Either way, an M4 is an M4, you cannot go wrong!

Jovan

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
During my research, the comp pack is £3k but adds around £2k to the GFV + you get the HK audio (a must have option IMO) for much cheaper as a ZCP has BMW advance speaker as standard.

It is a 100% complete no brainer to go with the comp pack IMO as it adds almost nothing to the monthlies due to the above.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
I was in the no CP camp for a while. Not convinced by the wheels and not sure about the value of 19 bhp at the top end. But then I read the reviews, saw the wheels in the flesh and most of all, drove one for half a day.

After that, CP all the way.

And the other half really liked the seat-belt detail... Funny creatures, aren't they
      06-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovanUK
Quote:
They do if the car has been ordered and/or being built. From then on, you lose your deposit, no matter if it is £500 or £5,000.
yeah but this was an existing stock car. deposit back. even if you have ordered the car. they really have no right to keep your money. unless they have spent money getting the car ready but I think they would find that hard to argue anyway.

regarding the cp. I was non cp but but changed it last minute. I think it made around 40 quid a month difference.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovanUK
Quote:
No. I ordered a CP car and then cancelled although too late to stop the order. I got my £2000 deposit back. Told the dealer they're in the wrong business if they think they can't sell the car.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

No comp pack here. Picking up my ride next month in Munich. I didn't feel the extra $5500 usd was worth it. The 2016s with and without the Comp Pack have had software changes for the better. I'm not into the Satan 666 wheels. I would rather spend that money on the MPE exhaust and VF Hex tune.

IMO its another BMW money grab.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

OP have you seen a CP and its wheels in the flesh?

When the initial photos of the CP were published I was very vocal about how horrible the wheels were, I happened to see one in the flesh a month later and within 48 hours I had placed an order

As others have said the CP after taking the increased GFV into account should not be a lot more than the monthlies on a standard M4.

With reference to your deposit just kick up an almighty stink and you will get it back but I would first of all try to amend the existing with them in a civilised manner.

Finally what the fuck are you letting a bird tell you what car to get, man up for fucks sake
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
yeah but this was an existing stock car. deposit back. even if you have ordered the car. they really have no right to keep your money. unless they have spent money getting the car ready but I think they would find that hard to argue anyway.

regarding the cp. I was non cp but but changed it last minute. I think it made around 40 quid a month difference.
100% right Foggy, OP don't let anyone on here or the Dealer tell you otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #14
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Stupid American here... What is GFV?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #15
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

With regards the cost of the CP, some reviews have said that at half the price of the carbon ceramic brakes alone, it makes the CP seem good value.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #16
JovanUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Stupid American here... What is GFV?
Guaranteed future value of the car

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #17
JacksoB
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 in Mineral Grey

Garage List
2016 F83  [0.00]
2014 Discovery HSE Lux  [0.00]
I have a non-CP car as I ordered just before the option was available and didn't want to go to the back of the queue again. My tuppence worth is that I would probably have ordered it if it was available, not least because I am generally a bit trigger happy on the options list, but I think many aspects (in particular the previously skittish handling) have been fixed on the non-CP 2016 cars. I would really like to see a proper 2016 CP v non-CP review as I am not sure the difference would be as stark as some of the reviews suggest.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksoB View Post
I have a non-CP car as I ordered just before the option was available and didn't want to go to the back of the queue again. My tuppence worth is that I would probably have ordered it if it was available, not least because I am generally a bit trigger happy on the options list, but I think many aspects (in particular the previously skittish handling) have been fixed on the non-CP 2016 cars. I would really like to see a proper 2016 CP v non-CP review as I am not sure the difference would be as stark as some of the reviews suggest.
I happen to agree with you on this. I drove a non-CP 16 car last week and yes, there are differences but it's not night and day. It IS night and day between either of those cars and an early M3/4.

You CAN tell a difference in the ride and handling - I suppose the best way of describing it is difference between riding winters and normal summers in some ways - it's not huge but it is there. That extra compliance in the tyre wall does make itself evident in the normal car whilst the CP's lower aspect ratio together with the stiffer ARB and - I am sure - slightly stiffer spring rate does make the car feel a bit busier but more 'planted'. They both still have limitations in terms of rebound quality.

I didn't have a chance to really push the car which is what I really want to do to see if there is a difference in the MDM and traction settings (my biggest bugbear on the CP). But certainly I thought it much the same as mine in getting power down.

Should hopefully be able to do a vid back to back on same route in next two weeks when get the car back for a day to run against mine (and have someone along to drive the other car!).

If you were ordering now and paying on PCP (and like the cosmetic side), it does build a case for itself. If you missed it but still have a 16 car, I wouldn't be too concerned. The fact is that you can make that car far better than either standard car anyway!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
JacksoB
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 in Mineral Grey

Garage List
2016 F83  [0.00]
2014 Discovery HSE Lux  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksoB View Post
I happen to agree with you on this. I drove a non-CP 16 car last week and yes, there are differences but it's not night and day. It IS night and day between either of those cars and an early M3/4.

You CAN tell a difference in the ride and handling - I suppose the best way of describing it is difference between riding winters and normal summers in some ways - it's not huge but it is there. That extra compliance in the tyre wall does make itself evident in the normal car whilst the CP's lower aspect ratio together with the stiffer ARB and - I am sure - slightly stiffer spring rate does make the car feel a bit busier but more 'planted'. They both still have limitations in terms of rebound quality.

I didn't have a chance to really push the car which is what I really want to do to see if there is a difference in the MDM and traction settings (my biggest bugbear on the CP). But certainly I thought it much the same as mine in getting power down.

Should hopefully be able to do a vid back to back on same route in next two weeks when get the car back for a day to run against mine (and have someone along to drive the other car!).
Thanks Guy, v helpful (as usual!). I'd offer my car and time up for the comparison but, as an F83, there would be a whole host of other differences to factor in. If someone wants to do a CP to non-CP F83 comparison then I am definitely up for it...!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #20
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

One thing I found - CP would have doubled the insurance cost for me...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

ZCP every time now its out....
      06-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Dude View Post
One thing I found - CP would have doubled the insurance cost for me...
Really?

Haven't heard that one.. That is ridiculous !!

you should have shopped insurance companies at that point.

When I bought my 15 I was quoted 220 per month..

I jumped over with my wife to State Farm and was quoted about 93 bucks per month..

It was a no brainer switch at that point.