BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
kawstik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Rough start post actuator replacement

Hey all,

My 2008 M3 was the smoothest starting car I've ever owned, especially after my Stage 2 BPM tune (cat delete warmup start). It was like clockwork. Insert key, push start, turn, turn, vroom. Whether the car was warm or cold, whether it was 95 or -05, she fired up exactly the same every time (62k miles).

That said, I recently had to have my actuators replaced (covered under EasyCare warranty), and ever since, it struggles to fire up during cold starts. It always starts on the first button press, but it's a 5 second struggle instead of the 1 second two-turnover fire up I'm used to (warm starts are fine).

I thought it might be shitty gas, but I'm on my 3rd tank (Shell, BP, and Exxon) and I've run both a Chevron Fuel System Cleaner and an Amsoil PI through the system with minimal improvement.

I've searched the forums regarding this issue, pretty extensively, to no avail.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? My warranty isn't proactive, meaning something essentially has to break before action is taken.

Thanks in advance!
      06-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Have you tried re-flashing you BPM tune? Could the dealer/mechanic have overwrote your BPM tune with stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Also have this issue. Curious if anyone knows why.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Since it happened right after your actuators were replaced, one would suspect an assembly error. I had a similar issue with my old Nissan Z where the mechanic had left clamps loose after a recall repair leading to minor intake air leaks. A 5-second struggle to start isn't normal so it may be valid to take the car in on that alone. I would check all the plenum clamps for proper tightening and inspect as many other hose connections in the plenum area as possible. Cold start requires a rich fuel:air mixture so any intake air leaks are likely to cause hard starting when cold.
Appreciate 0