BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quick question? 2011 2013???

So I always see people posting about 2011 2011.5 m3s why is that the year that everyone wants for these cars and not the last generation 2013 model? I would assume that the last one is the best one since it's the finalized version but I guess I'm wrong in thinking that could someone explain really quick I have 2008 I'm not to worried about it just curious.

2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Because 2011.5 is when features were added (like Combox and non-iDrive M Mode), and nothing changed after that except some package reshuffling, so 2011.5 is the cheapest way to get the most feature-complete E9x M3, and anything newer doesn't really have any value except maybe lower mileage, but of course that varies a lot from car to car. And actually newer isn't even always better, because sometimes cost-cutting measures are implemented in later years, which can make older examples more desirable to some. For example, starting in 2010, the leather sun visors were swapped to vinyl, and on the non-M cars, the covered storage compartment ahead of the shifter was replaced with a big uncovered cubby.

Also, no E90 in 2013, or I think even 2012.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Sometime in later 2011 BMW revamped the M3 with what they call LCI or life cycle impulse. It was kind of a face lift for an aging product line. There were many minor changes- most significantly the LED lighting, option changes, and some software updates.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I think you are interpreting the commentary wrong. 2013, the last year of the E9X M3 is very desirable. So is the 2012 model. Obviously the 2013 (2012 as well-identical mechanical options) have all of the final features offered in the E9X M3s. The most useful feature included is the Bluetooth audio streaming feature to play music that is saved on your phone or music from streaming websites such as Pandora.

Basically, beginning with the 2011.5 model, and to include the 2011.75 model (that only added "BMW Apps" feature for the stereo, a feature loved by some and described as wildly overrated by others) or newer models (2012 or 2013) E9X M3s have built in Bluetooth Audio capability to play music from your phone via Bluetooth. This is a nice, useful, modern feature for many people. In my opinion this is where this desire for the 2011.5 model comes from. Speaking for myself, it was a must have as the 2011.5 allowed for the least expensive "buy-in" of the E9X M3 with Bluetooth audio capabilities. The Bluetooth audio doesn't sound quite as good as plugging in your phone to the stereo system, but it is awfully convenient to leave your phone in your pocket. Others can chime in about any other features that were newly available on the 2011.5 M3. If built-in Bluetooth audio is not a big deal to you, you should consider 2008-2010 models as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I think you are interpreting the commentary wrong. 2013, the last year of the E9X M3 is very desirable. So is the 2012 model. Obviously the 2013 (2012 as well-identical mechanical options) have all of the final features offered in the E9X M3s. The most useful feature included is the Bluetooth audio streaming feature to play music that is saved on your phone or music from streaming websites such as Pandora.

Basically, beginning with the 2011.5 model, and to include the 2011.75 model (that only added "BMW Apps" feature for the stereo, a feature loved by some and described as wildly overrated by others) or newer models (2012 or 2013) E9X M3s have built in Bluetooth Audio capability to play music from your phone via Bluetooth. This is a nice, useful, modern feature for many people. In my opinion this is where this desire for the 2011.5 model comes from. Speaking for myself, it was a must have as the 2011.5 allowed for the least expensive "buy-in" of the E9X M3 with Bluetooth audio capabilities. The Bluetooth audio doesn't sound quite as good as plugging in your phone to the stereo system, but it is awfully convenient to leave your phone in your pocket. Others can chime in about any other features that were newly available on the 2011.5 M3. If built-in Bluetooth audio is not a big deal to you, you should consider 2008-2010 models as well.
Yea I got a 2008 6mt m3 e92 myself mainly because it fit most of the things I wanted on the car when I was searching haha and it was a less expensive version. Also I'm fine with the non Bluetooth stuff never was a fan of all this Bluetooth syncing up shit and it drains phone battery like no tomorrow. I always liked plugging my phone in to charge in my car so that fits perfectly with and aux and charge cable for me atleast the only thing I missed out on basically was the improved idrive which I found out for like $2500 I could update mine which isn't that important to me (I might do it later on). I also missed out on the ZCP package but also with that I'm going to get a tune and mod the shit out of my car down the line so that won't matter either. The main thing for me that bugs me about my car tho is the fact that I don't have the carbon fiber roof. When I test drove and saw this thing a while back the car I drove had it and it looked so nice (I know I know rice rice all cosmetic reason for wanting it for me) but yea didn't really care about the weight savings personally for that but the look of it I don't think I'll ever be able to replicate on my car because I have that stupid sun roof that I have never understood why people ever wanted on cars....

(Rant incoming)

SUN ROOFS.

Stupidest things in my opinion! If you want the feal of a convertible just get one the fact that there is that as an option on these m3s actually annoyed me so much like who would option their car with a fucking sunroof if you want that shit just get a convertible you clearly aren't into performance type shit if you have one you might as well have gotten the extra 400lb of instability that comes with the e93.... Idk how much more it cost or even if they had the option for the carbon roof in 2008 but idk personally those sun roofs are so useless to me I hate them all they do is get me sunburnt lol. For me personally it's just another one of those annoying things your friends like to fuck with in your car when your driving....

Anyway I basically got everything I wanted on my car except that dumb thing above my head.... Lol

PS: if anyone knows anyone that has removed their sunroof and replaced with a carbon fiber roof let me know I want that lmao
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

You should tell us how you really feel lol
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dimi View Post
SUN ROOFS.

Stupidest things in my opinion! If you want the feal of a convertible just get one the fact that there is that as an option on these m3s actually annoyed me so much like who would option their car with a fucking sunroof if you want that shit just get a convertible you clearly aren't into performance type shit if you have one you might as well have gotten the extra 400lb of instability that comes with the e93.... Idk how much more it cost or even if they had the option for the carbon roof in 2008 but idk personally those sun roofs are so useless to me I hate them all they do is get me sunburnt lol. For me personally it's just another one of those annoying things your friends like to fuck with in your car when your driving....

Anyway I basically got everything I wanted on my car except that dumb thing above my head.... Lol

PS: if anyone knows anyone that has removed their sunroof and replaced with a carbon fiber roof let me know I want that lmao
Easy there, sparky. I ordered my E92 with a moonroof because I actually preferred the look of a painted roof with my exterior color (Le Mans) and I didn't want an E93 because I didn't want to incur the hugely noticeable performance penalty of the additional 400 lbs and softer suspension, and the aesthetic penalty of the chopped-up roof with long flat decklid, AND pay an extra $8K for the privilege. When I wasn't doing "performance type shit" like running around on track in the advanced/instructor run groups (which is another reason I didn't want an E93 -- not all HPDE organizers allow convertibles, even hardtops), I found that I enjoyed opening it on Hill Country back roads out here. An open moonroof plus windows down gave me all the convertible experience I would ever want in terms of sound and smell without as you say getting sunburned through the additional exposure of a real convertible. I've driven convertibles and just don't like the top-down experience, and I've never seen a hardtop or soft top convertible that looks good to my eye with the top up. But since as you say the weight/performance benefit of a carbon fiber roof is negligible, I don't understand why you'd conclude that anybody who gets a moonroof wouldn't be into driving this car as intended. Is it all that different from the additional weight penalty of power seats, folding mirrors, leather interior, iDrive, enhanced audio, etc, or do only posers order those options too?

And the carbon roof was standard on the E92 from beginning to end of production. The moonroof was always a no-cost option. The E90 never had a carbon roof option from the factory; it came with a regular roof unless you paid extra for a moonroof.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 06-03-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Easy there, sparky. I ordered my E92 with a moonroof because I actually preferred the look of a painted roof with my exterior color (Le Mans) and I didn't want an E93 because I didn't want to incur the hugely noticeable performance penalty of the additional 400 lbs and softer suspension, and the aesthetic penalty of the chopped-up roof with long flat decklid, AND pay an extra $8K for the privilege. I also found that an open moonroof plus windows down gave me all the convertible experience I would ever want in terms of sound and smell without as you say getting sunburned through the additional exposure of a real convertible. I've driven convertibles and just don't like the top-down experience, and I've never seen a hardtop or soft top convertible that looks good to my eye with the top up. I didn't use my moonroof often, but I did enjoy opening it on Hill Country back roads out here when I wasn't doing "performance type shit" like running around on track in the advanced/instructor run groups. In fact that was another reason I didn't want a convertible -- some HPDE organizations don't allow them, even hardtops. But since as you say the weight/performance benefit of a carbon fiber roof is negligible, I don't understand why you'd conclude that anybody who gets a moonroof wouldn't be into driving this car as intended. Is it all that different from the additional weight penalty of power seats, folding mirrors, leather interior, iDrive, enhanced audio, etc, or do only posers order those options too?

And the carbon roof was standard on the E92 from beginning to end of production. The moonroof was always a no-cost option. The E90 never had a carbon roof option from the factory; it came with a regular roof unless you paid extra for a moonroof.
No offense at anyone who has it lol it just came out kinda hostile haha I just really wish I had the carbon roof it looks so nice imo haha and I didn't order my car custom so I had to settle for what I got sadly my car is all black like I wanted it so that's why it would've looked just that much better imo with the carbon roof but instead I got that thing I don't use or like.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Vinyl wrap or paint the roof
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Vinyl wrap or paint the roof
On top of the sun roof tho? That would look so bad with a wrap I would think if it was a carbon fiber wrap. That would be the only thing I would want to do there's no reason for anything else the whole car is black already.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #11
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
On top of the sun roof tho? That would look so bad with a wrap I would think if it was a carbon fiber wrap. That would be the only thing I would want to do there's no reason for anything else the whole car is black already.
Lol no... Around it. Plenty of people have done it. It won't be exactly a carbon roof but the black sunroof against the black paint or wrap blends it decently.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyway let's just end this discussion about my sadness of not getting my full package I wanted lol still got the sickest car I would ever want for now hahaha. I don't plan on getting rid of it ever unless it's to get the same one later alongside the rest of my future garage haha!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol no... Around it. Plenty of people have done it. It won't be exactly a carbon roof but the black sunroof against the black paint or wrap blends it decently.
Could you show me some pictures I haven't seen one with carbon fiber wrap and the sunroof on a black car I think I've seen it on a AW m3 but that's a lot easier to pull off I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #14
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-FAQ-etc/page3

Look at this thread. There are a lot of pictures of various cars/colors.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #15
AaronJ47
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Ford Cosworth, FPV F6

if you hate it that much, get a carbon roof fitted. whats the problem?
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #16
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ47
RealOEM says roof costs $2K, body shop labor won't be cheap for a roof, plus the sunroof will need to be coded out by a place that knows how to do it.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #17
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ47 View Post
I don't think you can if you have a sunroof... But if you can I'm all for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #18
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
RealOEM says roof costs $2K, body shop labor won't be cheap for a roof, plus the sunroof will need to be coded out by a place that knows how to do it.
Can I do that!?!? I didn't think I could get rid of the sun roof!!! If I can let me know where please lmao if this is a thing you just made my day cuz carbon roof is life my dude hahaha!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #19
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-FAQ-etc/page3

Look at this thread. There are a lot of pictures of various cars/colors.
This is exactly what I was saying didn't look good... http://www.wannaberacer.com/dowork/dowork274.jpg
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #20
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly what I was saying didn't look good... http://www.wannaberacer.com/dowork/dowork274.jpg
The white Porsche! Hideous in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #21
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Well now you know you can replace your roof with a real CF roof. I want to see this done by next month ;-)
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #22
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well now you know you can replace your roof with a real CF roof. I want to see this done by next month ;-)
YEA RIGHT I WISH lol. I'll do it just not anytime soon I still need wheels suspension (maybe) and a new bumper mine is kinda fucked up on the bottom right and I want a more aggressive looking one with a splitter anyway. But yea thank you guys for letting me know I will be doing that later on down the line I'm not tripping that much about it just yet. Even though it may sound like I am....

2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0