BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Msh911tt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Upcoming service needs

I have a 2011 M3 with 50k miles. It needs a front brake job and new spark plugs. I was quoted $1,100 for the brake job and $600 to install new spark plugs. I was also quoted $450 for the spark plug installation from another shop I have my 911 serviced at. My question is why does it cost so much to replace 8 spark plugs and why such a disparity in costs between the two shops? The other question is I have some mechanical ability and have replaced rotors and pads on other vehicles of lesser value. Is it recommended to leave the brake job to the professionals?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 SY M3 DCT, 2020 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msh911tt View Post
I have a 2011 M3 with 50k miles. It needs a front brake job and new spark plugs. I was quoted $1,100 for the brake job and $600 to install new spark plugs. I was also quoted $450 for the spark plug installation from another shop I have my 911 serviced at. My question is why does it cost so much to replace 8 spark plugs and why such a disparity in costs between the two shops? The other question is I have some mechanical ability and have replaced rotors and pads on other vehicles of lesser value. Is it recommended to leave the brake job to the professionals?
I recently did the spark plugs my self. No hassle if you ask me. Search up the DIY videos on here and see for your self if this is a job you feel comfortable doing.

Next week I will replace rotors and pads. Easy job, but you need the tools and a 7mm allen wrench (not always included in standard sets). The two screws holding the rotor on place (when the wheel is off) is difficult to remove and you might have to bore it out. At least this is the case for me. Order replacement screws.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msh911tt View Post
If you have mechanical ability and did a brake job before, DIY it

Spark plugs are very easy, IMO the hardest part was removing the intake plenum. The plugs closest to the firewall are not difficult in skill level, just a bitch to get to.
Appreciate 0