BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

BMW M3 Engine Defect Class Action Lawsuit

Found the below on the Bimmerfest forum, thought I'd share here.

www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911961

Details copied:

There's a class action lawsuit that you can still get in on.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...t-class-action

"BMW knew or should have known that the BMW S65 motor suffers from a defective rotating assembly that results in excessive bearing wear which can lead to catastrophic engine failure at any time without warning. ALSO: " BMW-NA failed to take any action to correct the defect when it manifested shortly outside of the warranty period." Lastly and maybe most importantly: "numerous complaints made to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, on consumer forums, and most significantly from Technical Service Bulletins that BMW itself issued to dealers describing the defects in question. BTW - You guys can look this up on the NHTSA website too!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Umi|all|day
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SS M3 E92

About time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:31 AM   #3
Tupug
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E93

what is this now?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupug View Post
what is this now?
a waste of time. after lawyers fees and splitting the compensation among everyone you may be entitled to a whopping $4.67.
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
nmehta211
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
a waste of time. after lawyers fees and splitting the compensation among everyone you may be entitled to a whopping $4.67.
Not necessarily. it could reimburse past engine repair/replacement costs, and provide a warranty going forward.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

This thread will die soon .
Just like the other 2 threads that I saw on BP in the last 2 years .
I saw even a lawyer involved in the dicussion , and he said I'll take care of it..But we/I saw him never back on here .
Useless....I'm sorry OP .

EDIT : Let's us hope if something would happen ...............

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 05-11-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
mrMTB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 i01 Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
This thread will die soon .
Just like the other 2 threads that I saw on BP in the last 2 years .
I saw even a lawyer involved in the dicussion , and he said I'll take care of it..But we/I saw him never back on here .
Useless....I'm sorry OP .

EDIT : Let's us hope if something would happen ...............
Did you read the item that was linked? It appears that a case was filed in November; BMW NA is attempting to get the case dismissed. Don't see anything yet on the certification.
Gone: 01 e39 540iA
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMTB View Post
Did you read the item that was linked? It appears that a case was filed in November; BMW NA is attempting to get the case dismissed. Don't see anything yet on the certification.
Of course , here it is => https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...nes-defective/
---------------------------
The problem is that BMW don't had/have a real fix for the worldwide BF .
If they had something to improve the BF problem , I think they would go for it but the costs would be enormous.
All they could do was replacing S65's under warranty or not ...same thing with the S85's.
I know exactly what was going on because I got inside German info about the disaster for the owners and for BMW as well .
The disaster with the S85 engine dates from 2005 , after the problem was inherited by our S65 and so the problem is already 11 years old , and without a fix for it !
-----------------------------
I would love that BMW had something (fix) for our worldwide BF problem , but sadly they don't have anything ...
So all we can do is hoping for extra warranty in case of BF , even when we are out of warranty ...
Personal I would take this kind of deal , but know it will never come...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
I think they should just give all of us who had bearing failures free M4's- just so I could chop it up and roll cage it as a dedicated track car... That would satisfy me...
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Taking bets on how long till this class action lawsuit fizzles into nothing.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Biggus Dickus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' E92 M3 - 6MT, Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
The only people who win in class action (as well as bankruptcy) are Lawyers and Accountants.
      05-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

What is up with all this negativity and accepting failure before it has happened?

I commend the plaintiff for at least trying. He is doing "something" instead of sitting on his a$$ like me, and many others.

Following the sentiment of the giver-uppers here, I should do nothing, expect nothing and just mope. No thank you. I'd rather try, or rather am appreciative of the plaintiff trying. Even if it is a long shot, at least it is better than doing nothing.

/rant
Appreciate 5
      05-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AamirAtl View Post
What is up with all this negativity and accepting failure before it has happened?

I commend the plaintiff for at least trying. He is doing "something" instead of sitting on his a$$ like me, and many others.

Following the sentiment of the giver-uppers here, I should do nothing, expect nothing and just mope. No thank you. I'd rather try, or rather am appreciative of the plaintiff trying. Even if it is a long shot, at least it is better than doing nothing.

/rant
I don't think its so much based on negativity, but more on past examples... For many of us who had catastrophic engine failure got excited the first few times we saw a class action lawsuit started- only to become sadly disappointed when they amounted to jack shit in the end...

#1-The reality is that BMW has more money to throw into a court defense than all of the people who suffered bearing failure put together to tie up cases in litigation for years and exhaust any potential plaintiff's expenses necessary to fight the battle.
#2- As stated by our Belgium buddy M-power, there is no real fix for the issue with rod bearings aside to just simply throwing money at victims.
#3- Why throw money at victims when as of today there are still no known causes of death related to the problem of rod bearing failure- so the bad publicity amounts to simply an oversight/Poorly designed engine in production- and what automaker out there has not had a few piss-poor designs produced over the years... They all have...
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
What, like the entire rod bearing hysteria?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x
Quote:

/rant
I don't think its so much based on negativity, but more on past examples... For many of us who had catastrophic engine failure got excited the first few times we saw a class action lawsuit started- only to become sadly disappointed when they amounted to jack shit in the end...

#1-The reality is that BMW has more money to throw into a court defense than all of the people who suffered bearing failure put together to tie up cases in litigation for years and exhaust any potential plaintiff's expenses necessary to fight the battle.
#2- As stated by our Belgium buddy M-power, there is no real fix for the issue with rod bearings aside to just simply throwing money at victims.
#3- Why throw money at victims when as of today there are still no known causes of death related to the problem of rod bearing failure- so the bad publicity amounts to simply an oversight/Poorly designed engine in production- and what automaker out there has not had a few piss-poor designs produced over the years... They all have...
Well said. Still I ask (and humbly), isn't it better to try something than to do nothing?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #16
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post

Quote:
Well said. Still I ask (and humbly), isn't it better to try something than to do nothing?
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your effort.

Just trying to manage expectation, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #17
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Earlier today I saw something interesting on the "BMW club" ..
And I thought it was "The German lottery" , but on the BMW club they call it the "S65 - Russian Roulette "

Thread is posted on the "BMW club" from "10/5/2015" => http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthre...ssian-Roulette
Oughhhhh.......

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Earlier today I saw something interesting on the "BMW club" ..
And I thought it was "The German lottery" , but on the BMW club they call it the "S65 - Russian Roulette "

Thread is posted on the "BMW club" from "10/5/2015" => http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthre...ssian-Roulette
Oughhhhh.......
There's a new one!
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
There's a new one!
Indeed but...I prefer my "German lottery"

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My money is on the aftermarket engine parts industry to pursue a resolution/fix... Not the legal industry...

I think its a waste of time and money at this point to fight the battle in court...

The catastrophic bearing failure rate really is a small percentage which does not help the legal means...

One is more likely to win a Takata airbag legal case over the bearing dilemma because the takata airbags are actually killing people...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #21
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed but...I prefer my "German lottery"
My T-shirt says "I won big in the German Lottery!"
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #22
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
My T-shirt says "I won big in the German Lottery!"
I need only to drive for about 20 minutes and I'm "IN" Germany !

Appreciate 0