BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93, E38, E53

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
EVAP trouble along with a x pipe tune gone wrong.

So a while back I installed a macht schnell catless xpipe. Love the sound, but in nh, I can't have a cel on to pass inspection. No biggie, I figured Id just have a tune done and I'll be fine.
So last month when getting ready to bring it down to BrenTuning I decided to scan it to see what codes there were. Turns out in addition to the cat and o2 codes, there was a p0456 code. Evap, small leak detected. I also had the check gas cap warning a few times.
Didn't have time to look into it further before sending it to Bren.
Initially Bren said he'd need the car for a day or 2. That turned into a week. He said he had trouble getting the o2 monitors to reset. But he said they finally did, and its all set.
The very next day I took it to get inspected, and it wouldn't pass. o2 monitor wasn't ready, and evap wasn't ready.
Next day, cel came back on.
So in an attempt to figure out the evap issue, I replaced the gas cap with a new one from the dealer. No change. I also ran a test plan with ista d software to see if the dmtl pump was working, and it did. All the test plans keep saying to replace the gas cap.
So I'm at a bit of a loss with the evap and o2 issues. The o2 monitors won't reset. Doesn't matter how much or what type of driving I do. I scan it once in a while and theres always a o2 related code present. Every time I clear it, a different code comes back, but always o2 related.

My plan is to get the evap system smoke tested for leaks. Has anyone ever had evap issues before? Wondering if theres something I can check before bringing it in. I did pull the fender liner out and visually check stuff, but it looks fine.

Also, anyone ever get a tune to disable the cel for a catless x pipe and have similar issues with random o2 codes? Bren said he thinks my rear o2's are old and need replacing. But I thought the rear o2's are pretty much useless on a catless setup. Not to mention, some of the codes its throwing are for the front o2's
      05-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Facsombh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

It's all about the tune believe me I had the same problem!
1- contact mike benvo he can tune your car with proper settings to pass on test emission with catless !
2- Put your stock xpipe back pass the test emission and re install the catless
3-Go back to the shop and ask for your money back ! I had bad experience with that shop too NEVER COME BACK ! YES IM NEGATIVE FEEDBACK
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Julianoe92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facsombh View Post
It's all about the tune believe me I had the same problem!
1- contact mike benvo he can tune your car with proper settings to pass on test emission with catless !
2- Put your stock xpipe back pass the test emission and re install the catless
3-Go back to the shop and ask for your money back ! I had bad experience with that shop too NEVER COME BACK ! YES IM NEGATIVE FEEDBACK
👆👆👆👆 this guy said all ! I have the same problem ! Bren tune sucks, !!!
You won't pass the inspection with his tune !!!
Just get the BPM tune is your best choice ! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
Ugh, now i find out
I had heard from several people that Bren was great with M3's. Going back isn't an option. He charged me a lot for the tune and when I went to pick it up he tried charging even more since it took longer than he thought. We settled on a price, but when I had the light come back on he said oh well, there must be something wrong with my car.

I will say the added power is nice. Sadly I never got the dyne sheet from him. I saw a pic he posted on fb of my car. It showed over 400hp at the wheels on his mustang dyno.

On a side note, if I put the stock setup back on, will it actually pass inspection now that he messed with the tune?
      05-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
400hp sounds extremely optimistic!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
Heres a screen shot of my cars dyne sheet. I never got the printed version, but he posted this.
Just a macht schnell x pipe and an afe filter. And his tuning.

05-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
Facsombh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrliterbikz View Post
Ugh, now i find out
I had heard from several people that Bren was great with M3's. Going back isn't an option. He charged me a lot for the tune and when I went to pick it up he tried charging even more since it took longer than he thought. We settled on a price, but when I had the light come back on he said oh well, there must be something wrong with my car.

I will say the added power is nice. Sadly I never got the dyne sheet from him. I saw a pic he posted on fb of my car. It showed over 400hp at the wheels on his mustang dyno.

On a side note, if I put the stock setup back on, will it actually pass inspection now that he messed with the tune?
Try just put back your stock setup .. Take the car for drive cycle dont pass over 5k rpm,at least 50 miles all ob2 should be set if the tune is set up correctly if not you might need flash back your stock tune !
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
Well, Found the evap leak.

I had moved this hose back when I replaced my spark plugs last fall. I had reconnected it, But must not have gotten it fully seated. Now to drive it and see if I can get the monitor to reset.
NH allows one not ready monitor, so if I can get the evap to set, the cat code might not matter.
      05-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
So any recommendations on an affordable way to pass inspection?
I dropped over 1k to have a performance tune and cat delete fix done by Bren. Is there a place that can fix what he did or do I need to just wipe his tune and pay for a whole new one.
I've put close to 2k miles on it. No check engine light comes on, but the o2's won't go into a ready state. So it won't pass Nh state inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unfortunately you're probably going to have to get a new tune. I doubt any good tuner will want to mess around with whatever Bren has done or not done. Get the BPM tune and call it done. It will get you to only 1 not ready monitor so you can pass.
Appreciate 0